The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think that Julia Child, Pepin's co-conspirator, used to travel around Cambridge MA in a VW that had a whisk attached to the antenna.
Can partially confirm. I used to see her VW sedan-wagon (the longbody model not based on the bug) in my ratty student room for rent neighborhood north of Harvard Law. At the time (1980), teenage ruffian-wannabees called Townies thought it was cool to break radio antennae off cars and they got Julia's just like they got everybody else's. She replaced it with a slotted spoon, the kind you use to poach an egg. Maybe someone swiped that and she replaced it with a whisk.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Sort of like the artist's rendition below.

Attachments

• julia.JPG
    julia.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 75
I think that Julia Child, Pepin's co-conspirator, used to travel around Cambridge MA in a VW that had a whisk attached to the antenna.

I met Julia several times here, once at a local Chinese restaurant run by Joyce Chen, once buying Nivea products at my Star Market, and once wandering around lost near Fresh Pond. I was also invited to a staff party for WGBH, she was herself as she took the bread and threw it in the trash and put out some real sourdough that she had just brought from California. Never saw the VW though Bob Pease had one decked out with a storchelon like a dinosaur.

Have to admit I enjoyed the rear design of the Pacer.

(bit of a Jensen Interceptor rip-off, but still)

Me too, I was totally ready to trade up until I met a nice young lady at the dealer who could not get them to keep the rear windows from leaking from almost day one. The Pacer came in a blue color that was very close to the color of our CEO's Espada.

1971 Lamborghini Espada Series II

Funny as hell here it is Petey Pacer, IIRC "Cars" also had an evil Gremlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt82G1Hg37w

Last edited:
That is so awesome, almost a shame someone had to eat it :lickface:
You ought to find yourself out here sometime. Our circle likes food and likes to share. We'll set a place at the table, just give a day or two notice.
personally not a fan of crab for some reason
And it's one of the things we don't like about you. Next you're gonna tell us you don't like bacon. Remember, it's 3 strikes and you're out so tread carefully my island friend. :)