The food thread

Attachments

• meme.jpg
    meme.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 75
Did you ever try it with gremolata? Nero is a nice grape.

Next time i will try gremolata. I think it is the missing link. And a different white whine for the veggie sauce.
I put some Grappa Moscato into the Mushroompolenta, this gave a taste like fresh apricots :cool:

My experience with cooking italian food is at low fire and pizza i cannot do at home since there is no big oven with 450 deg C.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
BBC Four - Chef vs Science: The Ultimate Kitchen Challenge

Hopefully you can see the page even if you can't watch it from abroad. Was on last night, and whilst nothing new I am sure to those of you who follow Herve This and the other molecular chefs there were some interesting things. Particularly how sight really can over ride taste. Make strawberry ice cream a different colour to pink and most people can't tell the flavour!

Using a centrifuge to make tomato soup was very odd.

But for those with an ultrasound bath, you can make better chips using it.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Sous Vide equipment prices have fallen low enough, and features/convenience/all-in-1 integration has risen high enough, that I decided to give it a try.

Bought an Anova temperature controller + water circulator for less than 200 bux. With bluetooth and/or hands on manual controls. So far have tried chicken and beefsteak following recommendations in J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's book "The Food Lab". Both were dynamite! Glad I finally took the plunge and regretful I waited so long.

For those who want to put their toe in the water without paying $179, do a google for Beer Cooler Sous Vide Steak. It turns out that (a) water from most people's hot-water tap, is pretty much exactly right for sous vide cooking of medium rate steaks; (b) an insulated beer cooler is a reasonably good approximation of a twin wall, double isolated Thermos bottle. So it makes a surprisingly good merde-rig of a medium rare beef sous vide water bath. The googles will tell you much more. The writeup and videos on "seriouseats.com" are excellent.

But if you're reading this, you've got $179 of disposable income. Consider trying the real thing. I'm so glad I (finally) did.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ferran Adrià was in Maastricht last friday (tefaf) for the official presentation of 'Notes on Creativity', the exposition of 2 decades El Bulli.
El Bulli has changed cooking forever.

(still no Bullipedia, by the time it goes active I could be Juan Poof Croof in Barcelonely)

See I have never been sure if Ferran did his stuff in isolation or if he took the work on molecular gastronomy and ran with it to new heights.

I do know that Heston Blumenthal is a copycat tw*t

copycat tw*t

Aren't they all.

My comment did not imply that Adrià was the messiah of molecular cooking, merely that he has had a lasting influence on chef tricks worldwide. Think foam for example. I can't think of much/any Fat Duck stuff that has become standard practice.

(1 degree accurate sous vide pots can be had for 50 bucks or less, a smart azz opens one up for calibration)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Aren't they all.

My comment did not imply that Adrià was the messiah of molecular cooking, merely that he has had a lasting influence on chef tricks worldwide. Think foam for example. I can't think of much/any Fat Duck stuff that has become standard practice.

It was an honest question as I didn't pay any attention to this until 2008 or so, and have no idea how the whole thing started off and who influenced who to new heights, other than El Bulli was clearly the place to eat before you die, but sadly only food writers ended up getting to eat there!

You will hopefully forgive me if I think that chilled live ants on a lettuce leaf is not my idea of fine dining tho!

Sous Vide equipment prices have fallen low enough, and features/convenience/all-in-1 integration has risen high enough, that I decided to give it a try.

Bought an Anova temperature controller + water circulator for less than 200 bux. With bluetooth and/or hands on manual controls. So far have tried chicken and beefsteak following recommendations in J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's book "The Food Lab". Both were dynamite! Glad I finally took the plunge and regretful I waited so long.

For those who want to put their toe in the water without paying $179, do a google for Beer Cooler Sous Vide Steak. It turns out that (a) water from most people's hot-water tap, is pretty much exactly right for sous vide cooking of medium rate steaks; (b) an insulated beer cooler is a reasonably good approximation of a twin wall, double isolated Thermos bottle. So it makes a surprisingly good merde-rig of a medium rare beef sous vide water bath. The googles will tell you much more. The writeup and videos on "seriouseats.com" are excellent.

But if you're reading this, you've got $179 of disposable income. Consider trying the real thing. I'm so glad I (finally) did.

This is pretty much my plan after I defend/get a haircut/real job (sorry, no older brother Bob). Friend has extended an offer to read her copy of "food lab", so I'll be pretty well set.

Biggest boon seems to be for meats, but I'm interested in seeing what you can do with veggies and eggs.