The food thread

You should try the canteen here at work. Just like that. I was kenneled as a child so grew up on boiled to death so for me the stereotype is etched into my memory.

Two years ago was working in Dusseldorf and plenty of places there considered a meal to be lump of pig, boiled potato (if lucky) and sauerkraut. Luckily I like all of those, but now that pig is off the allowed list limits things a bit if I have to go back there. Good pizza downtown tho.

'Kenneled'?
Please tell me that this has a meaning I am not aware of and your parents did not raise in a little hut out in the back garden!

Pizza is generally quite good in Germany. In my experience the 3rd best place for it after Italy and Australia.

My wife is from Zimbabwe and they eat huge amounts of beef while Germans consume vast quantities of pork.
So now we typically have mountains of beef or pork with either potatoes or sadza (a kind of polenta) and greens. The greens are either Grünkohl (Kale) or muriwo (collard greens), the wife never got into Sauerkraut although she does call me a 'sauer kraut' at times. ;-)

(and me convinced rhubarb is/was the ultimate horror)

Rhubarb is great ! Especially in bavarois :D

As you probably know, you have to let in a colander with some sugar for a few hours though before using it. It lets out lots of water and is less acidic that way.

It's a good idea to collect the juice. With some added jam sugar, it makes for a great clear covering, perfect to add an acid touch to a dessert a bit too sweet on its own.

ooooooops.

When I was in Züg, people told me it's increasingly difficult to own a house there.
Youngsters do not stand a chance, the least educated ones calendar through the days in coffee shops, e.g. the one next to the Bahnhof.

Maybe an extreme sample to mention/take, due to the spaced-out nature of the kanton, but exemplary for many European cities with large capital inflow.

[Btw, the word for fire in German is Feuer, Feu in French, Fuego in Spanish, Fogo in Portuguese, Faiah in Jamaican, Fayah in Surinam, Fajro in Papiamentu, Foc in Catalan and Roemenian, Pyr in Greek and di-Fe in Haitian chicken-French. The word for Sir/Father in Malayan/Indonesian is Pak, Ba-Pak or Ba-Pa. In Vietnamese it's Ba, Ba-ba in Chinese, B-Paa in Thai, and a-Pa in Korean. Seen a lot of one, see a little of all. Large/Big/Famous in Malayan is ban-Dang, ga-Dang, ge-Dang, kon-Dang. So : Thai = Dang, Vietnamese = Danh, Chinese = Daming, Korean = Dae. To be able to stir-fry is the difference between a Big Fire and a small kitchen : To Pad (stir) or not to Pad is the difference between a red Fai-ah and a small kitchen => Pad Phak-Boong Fai Dang ]

Last edited:
Yes, in Zug you get a flat 2 millions or more, swiss people move away, to expensive.
Ivan Glasenbergs Company and others are there, big income, low taxes, high rental costs.

Phak boong fai däng is one of my favorite veggi dishes, but my kitchen is too small.

@scott wurcer

boat noodles, im am not sure, but i think i had this dish in thailand, the chopped liver and the very fishy taste was not so much my cup of tea, but the ant egg soup in northern thailand (Issan) was delicious.

One of my times in Vienna, I was taken to what was reputed as an excellent restaurant there that was friendly to vegetarians. And actually, the food was quite good, some definite Italian influence. This was during the annual asparagus season, so that was what was featured on the menu. My main course was a truly enormous spear of white asparagus, steamed in butter, lightly brushed with Kuerbiskernoel, and served on a hockey puck of couscous. The flavor was very good, but the texture was that of baby food. My host asked me how it was and I responded, "Fifteen minutes before the chef took this out of the pot, it was a terrific piece of asparagus!"

Not steam?

Not my preference either but I have been known to use an asparagus steamer.

The main problem with boiling asparagus whole is that the tips need half the cooking time of the stems.
So I fill the steamer with water so high that the stems are underwater while the tips peek out. The stems are boiled while the tips are steamed resulting in the whole thing being cooked right.

My dog used to love to eat the raw asparagus trimmings.