The food thread

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-21 at 1.02.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-21 at 1.02.23 PM.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 89
Agree, had some Chinese food in Scotland once, just awful stuff.
Once ordered a chesse salad, just a bowl of graded cheese, wish I took a pic of it.

Bet the Chinese was great compared to what I had in Ashland, Wisconsin, one night. Looked for the hot items on the menu, found a few of the usual suspects, ordered one, and discovered the "heat" came from ... ground black pepper. Sneezed and left.

Bet the Chinese was great compared to what I had in Ashland, Wisconsin, one night. Looked for the hot items on the menu, found a few of the usual suspects, ordered one, and discovered the "heat" came from ... ground black pepper. Sneezed and left.

John Broskie and I ended up at a Thai restaurant in Langenargen, Germany. When our food came (we ordered it "Thai hot, please"), we each took a bite, looked at one another, and burst out laughing. All of the flavor had been scientifically removed. Not even a trace of heat. Ahhhh, Germany.

We were curious. :D

Here in our environment we have a lot of Thai People working for Phonak, ( they make hearing aids were the small hands of Thais seem to do a good job with the minitaure parts) and thus several Thai Restaurants opened and many Take Away. They are cooking pretty good, origin and fresh Thaifood( at real swiss prices and more), but the variation of specialties is not very big, but sometimes the offer on request some food which is not on the menu card, because usual swiss people would be afraid to eat it.

And if we order real Thai hot, they ask 3 times if we are sure and tell us the phone number of the fire brigade and hospital emergency squad.:D

No Restaurants for Vietnamese, Laos Food, and the chinese ones sell the usual crap for a fortune.
Japanese are rare, one good sushi bar here.
Indian are also rare and obviously not from south india.

For Latin food you will find only argentina steak houses with charcoal grill and in zurich is also mexican with standard Taco and so on.

Hopefully it will get better, but all those Foreign Food Restaurant are very expensive, usual a entry dish is 20-30 bucks, main 28- 80, sweets again 20 and a bottle of standard wine( store price 12-18) they ask easy 65 and more . This means a dinner for 2 at least 250.-....:eek:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
About as true as the old stereotype that vegetables in Britain are boiled until completely devoid of taste and texture.

You should try the canteen here at work. Just like that. I was kenneled as a child so grew up on boiled to death so for me the stereotype is etched into my memory.

Two years ago was working in Dusseldorf and plenty of places there considered a meal to be lump of pig, boiled potato (if lucky) and sauerkraut. Luckily I like all of those, but now that pig is off the allowed list limits things a bit if I have to go back there. Good pizza downtown tho.

Is there anything in Switzerland which is not expensive? ;-)

That said sometimes and in the most unlikely places it is worth it.
Whenever I drive to Italy I make a point at stopping at my two favourite motorway service stations in the world both of which are swiss and sell food that would put most restaurants to shame.
Third place goes to one in the UK is in Tebay on the M6. It is run by a farming couple who source most ingredients from within a few miles of the station. It made the BBC Food shortlist for the Best Food Retailer as they also sell meat, vegetables, jams and (most surprisingly to a German like me) good bread. If I'd live near by I'd do most of my grocery shopping at a service station!
Generally german and belgian motorway food is the worst IME.