The food thread

A chef friend once pulled the parasites from a piece of fresh salmon to demonstrate.

To be filed under "strange and useless facts": Folks employed in fish plants around here who removed worms from fresh cod were called "chandlers", because they would hold the fillets up to a light (candle) to see the worms, and removed them with tweezers. In an evaluation of IQ among workers in various industries, cod chandlers scored highest. Yes, the folks who pulled worms from cod fillets outscored all other workers on IQ tests. Make of it what you will.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I've been watching the food thread, lots of good stuff, and it has inspired me too. But not much baking in the thread. I've been trying to bake good bread for some time. The first year or so, it was more miss than hit. Around here there's one bakery that beats most, artisan bread, called Ace bakery. And it was my goal to make bread as good or better than theirs, with one condition: no yeast. After almost a year, trying at least twice a month, I started to make decent bread. It took another year, almost, to improve on that. I'm at the point that taste and consistence is always as it should. Got some good hints from Chad Robertson of Tartine Bakery, and things improved. Mostly unbleached flour, water, salt, sourdough, and rye and whole wheat flour.

Attachments

• IMG_8005.JPG
    IMG_8005.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 87
Those are a couple of nice looking loaves!

Being german I agree that yeast or bleached flour has no place at all in the making of good bread unless you make it specifically for toasting.
However personally I'd like more rye in the mix but that is just me.
My mother used to make her own bread and I seem to remember that sourdough gets better over time.

Sadly here in the UK it is quite difficult to find bread which is edible without spending time in the toaster. :-(

Sadly here in the UK

Get an automatic.

Croissants, I get pre-rolled and frozen in boxes of 100 at a wholesaler.
French manufacture, the same boxes are sold at the Metro store in Lille, couple of miles distance from the Selectronic shop in Ronchin => R-core.
(general warning to the public : a foody goes berserk in a French Metro store)
Baked-off in a professional combi-steamer, they're superior to some French originals.
Strüdel, focaccia, cake and yorkshire pudding I do in the cs-oven.

Daily bread is so much easier with an automatic, throw the junk in, set the timer, and Bob's still your relative in drag at breakfast time.
(admit that when it comes to making bread, I find there are more interesting things to do)

Remind me please, how is that white stuff in the UK called ?

(Moscou, Ghent)

Last edited:
Get an automatic.

Croissants, I get pre-rolled and frozen in boxes of 100 at a wholesaler.
French manufacture, the same boxes are sold at the Metro store in Lille, couple of miles distance from the Selectronic shop in Ronchin => R-core.
(general warning to the public : a foody goes berserk in a French Metro store)
Baked-off in a professional combi-steamer, they're superior to some French originals.
Strüdel, focaccia, cake and yorkshire pudding I do in the cs-oven.

Daily bread is so much easier with an automatic, throw the junk in, set the timer, and Bob's still your relative in drag at breakfast time.
(admit that when it comes to making bread, I find there are more interesting things to do)

Remind me please, how is that white stuff in the UK called ?

(Moscou, Ghent)

If by 'an automatic' you mean a bread maker that is pretty much a non-option as it bakes the loaf in a tin.
Generally my problem with home baking bread in any form is that I don't eat enough bread to keep a sourdough going for long enough for it to get good. Not sure if sourdough is suitable for use in bread makers in the first place.

I like Strudels but they are a lot of hard work.
Easy enough to make the dough as it is a simple pasta dough of just flour,egg yolk and milk (or water). It does however need to be kneaded a LOT and then rolled out very thinly. My mother told me that you have to roll it out thin enough to be able to read a newspaper through it and she was right.
Still Apfelstrudel is pretty much the only desert I make on a regular basis.
Delicious with some home-made custard!

What is a 'cs-oven'?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I bake once a weak, two loafs, and one I give away. I keep the sourdough starter in the fridge and take it out 24h before using it.

Many years ago we used to have a bread maker. What bothered me most was that no matter what ingredients I used, the bread had a particular taste; my suspicion is that the inner lining of the container, the non-stick surface, gives it that taste. There's no comparison between that bread and what I bake now, in taste, crumb, or crust. Best of all, very little actual work is required; no kneading.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Many years ago we used to have a bread maker. What bothered me most was that no matter what ingredients I used, the bread had a particular taste; my suspicion is that the inner lining of the container, the non-stick surface, gives it that taste. There's no comparison between that bread and what I bake now, in taste, crumb, or crust. Best of all, very little actual work is required; no kneading.

SWMBO prefers bread out the machine to my sourdough. Probably says more about my baking skills than anything else! But the warm crust taken up to her with a cuppa in the morning gains many brownie points. And boy do I need them right now :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Do you use any kind of culture to start the idli batter fermenting? Last spring, which was really winter, I tried making dosa but the batter never started fermenting. I tried again in the summer and it worked pretty well. Never tried making idli, though I enjoyed them when in India (with a bowl of insanely spicy sambar).

Currently running 50/50 I don't keep live yoghurt so some batches ferment well on their own, others need some yeast chucking in. I do put the batter either in bath of hot water or on top of the boiler to stay warm.

I prefer Dosa, but apparantly have to make both, and who am I to argue with a higher authority :)