The food thread

I saw something interesting in the market the other day. An off-brand soda pop.
It's a lemon lime one called Spritz-Up.
Pretty clever to steal a bit from Sprite and 7-Up and not get brought up for it don't you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 2.31.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 2.31.57 PM.png
    204 KB · Views: 17
That's it Bill, thank you.

Actually the cook book I cherish to this day is the 'Women's Home Companion Cookbook'
Printed during the early days of WWII it is delightfully nostalgic.
Not only did they tell the lady of the house that she should boil Okra for 30 minutes, they also told her to put ashtrays on the table because the people were going to smoke anyways, so just deal with it.
It also told her how to make desserts with less sugar due to rationing, and how if you couldn't afford a nice sirloin steak, that there were ways to deal with rib steaks that would be equally appetizing.
It speaks to how the efforts were to be elsewhere in the world and it was up to her to ensure that during these times, she was the one to make her family nutritionally and taste bud satisfied.
It also mentioned things like when she was happy to see her husband at the end of the day, she was to be dressed into something pretty to greet him at the end of his long day. It also cautioned her not to do all that women speak stuff as what he really wanted was the evening paper, his slippers and a nice cocktail that she was to have ready for him in his easy chair. It again cautioned about getting him aggravated as men can become aggressive when pushed too hard.

This book is gold. I think I am going to personally do a reprint and distribute to anyone who will take one. ;)

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Reactions: 1 user
Visit a Walmart
Mark, appreciate your input but it is a bit behind the times.
Walmart is all over the place here. One is a 5 minute walk, the other is a 5 minute drive. There are many here.
Metro Vancouver is a big and very diversified city.
We have more parts of the world here than so many cities larger than us have.
We have what others don't. We are very lucky.
You would love to spend a week here and discover of what I speak, trust me.
No matter your heritage, whatever your tastes, you can get it here.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I thought one only went to Walmart to people watch?

I do love American chains. Places were you can go and get your heart medication, a live lobster, gun cartridges, hunting knife, booze and some real food hidden amongst the strange rainbow coloured sugar coated packets. Oh and vegitables that are wet to help them rot faster. (aside one supermarket tried misters and ripped them all out after less than a year as we are just not ready for them yet).

Of course no link between me living near a super K and putting on 12lbs in a year :)

I thought one only went to Walmart to people watch?

I do love American chains. Places were you can go and get your heart medication, a live lobster, gun cartridges, hunting knife, booze and some real food hidden amongst the strange rainbow coloured sugar coated packets. Oh and vegitables that are wet to help them rot faster. (aside one supermarket tried misters and ripped them all out after less than a year as we are just not ready for them yet).

Of course no link between me living near a super K and putting on 12lbs in a year :)
You do realize I live in California? We get out ammo behind a 7/11, lobsters from Mexico, "Hunting knife" at the gas station and booze from the boutique distillery/brewery in the fancy shopping district, served by androgynous humans that assure you it is ethically sourced grain and only the purest ground water available from the one spring left on the local mountain thats overrun with homeless bathing in it.

I kid, we load our own ammo. Just took 2nd place today at a 600y rifle match.

Good old greasy BBQ burger for lunch after, at the range.

Oh, Tony might appreciate this one, snagged a couple bottles from Chico, Sierra Nevada brewery my son brought home for me...

20240322_181706.jpg
20240322_181733.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You do realize I live in California? We get out ammo behind a 7/11, lobsters from Mexico, "Hunting knife" at the gas station and booze from the boutique distillery/brewery in the fancy shopping district, served by androgynous humans that assure you it is ethically sourced grain and only the purest ground water available from the one spring left on the local mountain thats overrun with homeless bathing in it.
I have been in shops like that. Santa Cruz is particularly full of them :)
As a lousy Shot even at close range I take my hat off to you.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cal,

The fiberglass density is much higher when you use it as additional sound absorption. Where it serves is damping the longitudinal waves through the metal stud penetrations and the electrical boxes on each side.

Just to stay on the thread’s topic, what are the best pizza toppings?

Artichoke hearts, feta cheese, anchovies, salty Spanish olives, olive oil.

Sometimes, though, I'll go with Canadian Bacon, pineapple and mozarella.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Good old greasy BBQ burger for lunch after, at the range.

Oh, Tony might appreciate this one, snagged a couple bottles from Chico, Sierra Nevada brewery my son brought home for me...

I've had that beer.... pretty good, for sure. Sierra Nevada makes some really good brews from top to bottom of their line.

I get my ammo in Huntington Beach... heck, today they were supposed to have a Parking Lot Sale but we had pretty heavy rain from 10AM to 1PM... so I didn't go. Another place is Cabelas, right off the 5, a little bit north of Shasta where they don't charge sales tax: (wink, wink)

"Wow, that's a lot of ammo... where do you live? {mumble, mumble}.. Aaah, say no more... here let me help you..."

Sure, like the buffoons in Sacramento want ammo with individual serial numbers, huh?

I know people who load their ammo, I just don't use enough of it so it's not really worth my time.

Burgers... sorry.... either I make them myself ( Have you ever tried making your own prime grade Ribeye burgers? Being freshly ground you can just cook them medium rare.... yum! ) or we just do In'N'Out.

Organic booze... like I said, I have no time to drink inorganic stuff. You can keep your inorganic alkaline solutions to yourself.

There was a fellow I knew who took his girlfriend to the pizza parlor where they met to show her the diamond ring and propose. But first he brought the pizza from the counter to their table. She saw the anchovies on it. She figured by now he should have known she absolutely hated anchovies, so as he sat down, she got up and left.