The food thread

Moray, so glad you stopped in to say hi.
Glad to hear about the weight. I've noticed it only gets harder the older we get so I hope you are happy but more importantly healthy.
Judging by your tome, we don't have to guess at your spirit. That's excellent. Very happy for you.
Do you ever go for blood tests to see how things are balancing out? Just to be sure?

Anyway, feel free to pop in here more often. Show us what and how you are doing it.
yes the doctor thinks I am crazy but he thought that before. BP low (when young was always low so back to normal) cortisol low insulin low cholesterol raised but is normal and healthy. mental health vastly improved and improving attitude is positive. my days are so much more balanced and enjoyable relaxed anxiety is virtually gone along with self inflicted stress. could not be more pleased never expected things to be going so well. so much more time to be thinking about audio.

Well, operation sourdough worked out better than expected for a first timer!
Lesson got delayed until yesterday and dough set in fridge overnight, pulled out this morning folded it again, scored top, let sit out covered for 3 more hrs, sprayed some water and added some fresh dried rosemary, preheated oven and dutch oven to 465F, baked with lid for 20 min then 15 min with lid off……..cooked to perfection, hard crust outside/moist but firm inside. I’m a fan!
Made a pot of lentil soup to go with it. :cool:

Luna has taken over Percy”s kitchen duties!

Attachments

• 8543CE53-D5FA-4CE6-80BA-D1A91E404F23.jpeg
    8543CE53-D5FA-4CE6-80BA-D1A91E404F23.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 20
  • EF8D378D-31AE-4B11-BDA3-5C56C32B16AD.jpeg
    EF8D378D-31AE-4B11-BDA3-5C56C32B16AD.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 7B58E5DD-7185-4726-979E-359CE387D175.jpeg
    7B58E5DD-7185-4726-979E-359CE387D175.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 9719AC98-E11F-4A70-AD2A-B134F4D1D924.jpeg
    9719AC98-E11F-4A70-AD2A-B134F4D1D924.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 1 users
Tonight is cream of aspergrass (sic) soup and garlic buns. If I need meat there is a shipload of chicken.

Honey likes to get a large bag of drums, debone and flavour them. My job it to toss them into a grilling basket and cook over fire. Me like!
Can't say even the best fried or roasted chicken is as good as a smoky grill when the chicken is properly marinaded.

my days are so much more balanced and enjoyable relaxed anxiety is virtually gone
You'll have to stop there my man, you're starting to **** me off.
Guys your age aren't allowed to be this happy.
Mind you, if I was on a diet of nothing but my three favourite food groups, meat, salt and certain liquids, I'd probably be happy right up until I died...

...a few weeks from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Very late meal for me tonight, had to meet someone to sell my project car after work. Didn't feel like take out, so kinda winged it.

Gumbo-ish in an hour.

Dark roux, onions, celery, carrots. Didnt have any bells for a holy trinity. Dried guajillo and pasilla chiles. Smoked paprika, white pepper, garlic powder, chile powder. Chicken boullion, smoked sausage because I didn't have andouille. Bring to a heavy simmer and reduce by half.

Jasmine rice, seasoned with herbs de prevonce, butter and more paprika.

20240319_215222.jpg
20240319_221317.jpg
20240319_222415.jpg
20240319_223653.jpg

There are a couple rules when it comes to gumbo, #1 its always done with a dark roux. Like chocolate bar dark. #2 use holy trinity instead of mire poix. #3 NO TOMATOES!

Gumbo is served over rice.
Jambalaya is made with rice in it.

Both can be made strictly plant based, though andouille sausage is the key ingredient in both. I'm sure you have your substitutes. I don't know if you eat fish/shellfish but shrimp is an excellent choice, if so.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sold my '66 VW bug to a friend.
Yeah those are great fun but always something to do on them to keep the tinworm out
There are a couple rules when it comes to gumbo, #1 its always done with a dark roux. Like chocolate bar dark. #2 use holy trinity instead of mire poix. #3 NO TOMATOES!
Some research suggests there are regional disagreements over tomato :p Anyway I will experiment first with the Roux then work out what I can chuck in.

If you like pickled asparagus, the stovetop method is fast and easy. It also tastes better than the stuff from a jar.

Water
Vinegar
Coarse salt
Pinch sugar.

Nest your fry pans to keep the stalks submerged.
Simmer on very low for about 10 minutes until desired tenderness.

Attachments

• IMG_0169 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0169 (1).jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well, I guess it's time to make a gumbo. It's one of the recipes I still make full scale since the kids have grown up and moved out. The leftovers never go to waste. For anyone Cajun/Creole curious, John Folse and The encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole cuisine is a veritable gold mine. As a transplant from S Louisiana, it's my most used cookbook by far.