The F6 Revisited

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I apologize if this question has already been addressed: I'm thinking about ordering F6 Diamond pcbs (as well as ZM's 4th version of his adaptor board) from a fab house and was wondering whether there were any suggested "upgrades" when ordering these boards. For example, is an Outer Copper Weight of 1 oz. adequate, or should it be increased to 2 oz.? I'd like to keep costs down to the extent reasonable, but don't want to foolishly spite myself.

Your guidance is appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
1oz is overkill for signal purposes

even for power routes it's more then enough, if adequate width of traces is used

Mighty Moi - even prefer 1oz for signal, 2oz being too chunky

alas, when I'm forced to use 2oz pcbs for signal, subconsciously it forces me to use M24 screws for grounding

:clown:

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
zman01:

Yes. An order for JLCPCB's minimum quantity of 5 will net me 5 pairs at a delivered cost of just over 43 USD (using the slowest delivery option and not including tax). A friend wants an F6 and, given that the Jensen signal transformers are unavailable, building this Diamond version with CineMags isn't just an opportunity, it's also the only option. I already have a dual mono F6 and don't need another, so I may sell off some or all of the remaining pairs if I can find a safe and cost-effective way to package them for mailing.

Donaldspace:

A kind offer -- thank you! However, it seems the updated version of Mike and TA's F6 pcbs don't require ZM's boards, so there's no need. But the kindness is appreciated nonetheless.

I'm still refining the BOM for this build and need to run the expected cost (about 920 USD in total, including FPE's processing of the front and rear panels) by my friend. I helped him sell a tricked-out F5 Turbo last year and he's hungry for a replacement amp, so the odds favor another project for moi. Goody!

Stay healthy, everyone.

Regards,
Scott

I will say that the F6 Diamond with the CineMag transformers and IXTQ75N10P Mosfets is an outstanding amplifier, well worth the price to build one. I have been listening to an early Threshold CAS-2 and a pair of Cary SLM-100 monoblocks lately, and the F6 holds its own or better, even with those more powerful amps.

Anyone up for evaluating a pair of these amorphous and nanocrystalline transformers in your F6 build(you’ll need to use flying leads)?

Just drop me a PM if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4573.jpeg
    IMG_4573.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 72