The F6 Revisited

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes TA, this is a pathfinding mission for me as (Mean)well 😂.

These HRP units were previously used to power the M2OPS, but wired in a different way that did not have a well defined star ground and was ultimately not satisfied. This time I followed lhguam's wiring diagram and already see the AC at the speaker output is much reduced, 0.1mV, with both channels sharing a power supply.
I might have to tweak the external SMPS chassis for better cooling, after 2hrs its very warm, boarderline hot. The Watt-O-Meter plug is showing 245W drawn from the wall. Either more holes in the baseplate or small Noctua fan added.

I agree TA, the real test will be listening to music. Without a psu in the main chassis internal space is cavernous and would accommodate any type of capacitor tweaking if necessary. The limiting factor would be what capacitance will be a problem for startup surge throwing the smps's into hiccup mode.

Hi Gary,
This is the chassis:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1627951256...sGheTUqSyi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Reactions: 1 user
If one considers a capacitance multiplier as a form of soft regulation (check out early Pass Zen v4 and v5), then I have had success with both passive and active filtering. The better passive ones were either CRCRC or CLC.

Capacitance multipliers require careful implementation to be effective. They require careful selection of the pass transistors. I prefer complementary feedback pairs with low VceSat bipolar devices. And they must be preceded by a good CRC filter and followed by sufficient bulk capacitance.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That chassis is perfect for the XA252. And since you have to drill holes anyways, it works out pretty good.

I like that the heat sinks look like the old threshold heat sinks. I have a S500 and I would say that the chassis you have is about 90% of the size of the old threshold.

Thanks Vunce and Mike for the 2 chassis links. I also like the look of the heatsink fins.

Had a look at both sites, same chassis and.....
Ebay - $483.00 USD shipped.
Aliexpress = $350.00 USD shipped.

A big difference in price, it pays to shop around these days especially when postage/freight is such a large portion of the overall price.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I installed three pin 'aviation connectors' that were in the parts bin for the external psu. 16ga is the maximum size conductor and that barely fits the solder tab. I would like a more robust connector for this application, what do you fellas recommend?

Great price on that chassis Gary!

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 58
They are rated at 250VAC mains use at 20 amps, so quite rugged. Their technical documentation I read does not mention a DC rating.

I would say they would be fine at the nominal DC voltage levels for class A amps and you would only be putting a few amps through them anyway, and if you did not disconnect them while powered up then DC arcing will not be a problem.

I think they would be fine, as I said I have used Neutrik XLR connectors before for this purpose without a problem and the PowerCon range are even more rugged.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ I posted a summary of my conversation with the Neutrik engineer I called in another thread ...

Conversation With Fred From Neutrik

"He said in plain terms to not use either the PowerCon nor the SpeakOn for DC applications at all. I asked him if he could please explain at a novice level for my specific application. I asked was it dangerous / what could go wrong etc.?

He took the time to explain to me why those products were not suitable for me. That is not to say that they aren't suitable for anyone else... he was very polite, but strong in his wording that he doesn't think it's a good idea to use those products for DC. He'd be happy to explain why to anyone for their particular application over a quick / direct inquiry."

Last edited: