The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Ok, found the issue some members are having in opening the zip file in Windows PC's. The App incorporated within Windows is not fully universal and only compatible with WinZip formats only.

If one chooses to use a truly universal archiver like 7Z, which was used, no problems opening any archived format .

Latest upload is compatible with Win OS. :)

Attachments

• Elsinore Assembly (2).zip
    626.1 KB · Views: 74
All good, and thank you for all your feedback, now that everyone can view the design.

Re. Main Brace, you are correct it is out of alignment by 18mm, my bad. Please be considerate of Joe's internal front layout as only the enclosure material has changed and the rear setback is shorter, everything else stays the same.

As for the Ply verses MDF the two are comparable in respect to stiffness and density, but Ply is lighter and easier to work with if one makes sure to avoid splinting during cuts. Besides one has a veneered side that helps in the finishing off.

Overall, less hassles all around. But as I mentioned in my previous post it does cost about 4 times more than MDF, so these are choices one has to make.

Attachments

• Elsinore Colour.JPG
    Elsinore Colour.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 300
Can't open unzipped .skp file on my MAC

Folks,

It might just be me or my MAC -- I can unzip the file but I do not have a program that can read a .skp file.

Another question -- I had planned to use 3/4" maple-faced plywood laminated with 1/4" plywood to make up the 25mm (1") dimension cited by Joe. I just assumed that the 1" dimension was not just to maintain the volume in the box, but to maintain the stiffness and dampening. I figure that the cost of the extra 1/4" sheet and labor to glue up the final dimension was a necessary part of the process here in the USA?

It is great to have another potential option!! I hope I can solve my "Can't open the file" problem.

HappyJack

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The first file worked fine with 7zip on windows.

So you used 18mm ply instead of 25mm mdf. Is 18mm sufficient? And shouldn’t the brace be more towards the middle?

A brace out of alignment could be a good thing. I have read and built designs where the braces were purposefully misaligned. That causes the unbraced surfaces to vibrate at different frequencies as opposed to them both vibrating at the or close to the same frequency.

I just downloaded the feee sketchup viewer for MAC and have been "driving around" your model. Impressive!! I can view the rendering but so far have not been able to find a way to see dimensions or find a way to see the individual panels. Do I need to download the trial of sketchup pro for MAC to see those individual parts and dimensions? OR just more training?
Thanks again,
HappyJack

Mikerodrig27: You may be correct in assuming that bracing can affect panel vibrations, I would prefer to let others in the community discuss the pros and cons of doing so. However, the scope of the post was a desire for an alternative to Joe's enclosure construction by using 18mm ply and maybe a less time to build.

Taking into consideration all that has been discussed in this forum and with Joe's input so far, this design pretty much conforms to Joe's specifications.

As we say downunder, when you're on a good thing, stick to it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I agree. Joe has dissected every aspect of this design to the best of his ability. I know he has spent many hours thinking about racing. Just an interesting thing that I have read in the past. Looking at the SketchUp after using WinRAR, that brace looks to be pretty far offset. The designs that I have seen in the past had the brace closer to center. Usually only about 10 or 15% offset if that makes sense

Actually, I was just playing around inside some Martin Logan requests today and saw that they had their bracing on a diagonal. Very impressed with those speakers by the way for a mass-produced speaker. A lot of little details are done nicely on them

Mikerodrig27: You are quite correct, bracing does make a difference in relation to box resonances that affect the overall sonic of a loudspeaker. There are many books that discuss this issue, however the main take about bracing I believe is that if a design has been thoroughly researched and components selected that will do the task, then it comes down to measurements to fine tune the enclosure.

As per my previous post #4166, about the Main Brace, it is out of alignment by 18mm from the Sub-Front Panel, it should be 170mm and not 188mm, as per Joe's design. Please keep that in mind and all should be good. Once again my bad, I will post the amended file soon.

Been incognito lately, so here is a quick catch up.

Port typo re Port OD (outer diameter) corrected in Post #4060.

You may need to flush your cache to see the change.

hello joe,
could you please give me a current recommendation for the port length with an inner diameter of the pipe of 91mm. Thanks.

best regards Steff

You will need to make it a bit longer and it is not too critical so that 100m would still be OK, but if you increase it to 105-110mm that would be OK too. But I don't want to make the port much longer than that for other reasons, like leaving the inside part of the port enough space to 'breathe' and short is better for that.

---

Would there be any detriment in switching to the smaller Jantzen 4mh and 18mH inductors if I already have the Erse SuperQ inductors? Wanting to put the crossover below the speakers and will be tight on space.

No advantage, stick with what you have if sizes is not a disadvantage.

---

Joe,

I'm a bit confused -- on the Elsinore Mk 6 parts list under post 4060, the port is listed as 100mm x 100mm and approx 96mm inner diameter.

On the new drawings in post 4150 shows the port as 90mm diameter and 100mm length. Which is the one I should be trying to source?

Thanks,
Happyjack

It's is a typo, now correcting it. That is why I wanted to post these so that I could edit and you can go back to Post #4060 and now see it corrected.

You may need to flush your cache to see the change. I did.

---

Post recent white EL-6 pic:

Img_3560_520W.jpg

Last edited: