The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Can I get some input of build material. When i built the Elsnores I used thin sheets of HDF and laminated them together. It was actually way easier to work with and I was able to make "custom thicknesses'. You cannot get 1" (25MM) sheeting here. Alternatively I was considering using birch plywood, and I can get that in 1/4" and laminate also. The HDF is VERY heavy, and since I'm making a center channel and I'm gonna was leaning toward the birch plywood. I'm going to paint them so I don't care about the finish.

The thickest is 3/4" (18MM) I meant to post that in the previous post. I don't mind laminating them, it worked REALLY well...and the thinner pieces were way easier to work with. I've built a few speakers, all 3/4" (18MM), all with MDF other than the Elsinores. The thing is it's basically impossible to get HDF here, but the box store Home Depot sells "hardboard panels," so i figured "what the hell" and built my Elsinores out of that. I cut the pieces over sized, laminated them together than cut them to size. It worked VERY well! You can search my name and see the pics I posted.

I have a limited amount of space in my garage I own a business and it occupies a decent amount of space...but really the problem is the front panel on the Hamlets and Elsinores is 1 3/4"...so, I could build them out of 3/4" and make the front panel 1 1/2" or I can laminate panels.

I like the look of the Monacor damping, it looks similar to what I use. The person I was asking for is going for that, so thanks.

In my experience, there is really no rule as to where you place the damping material...

Your points are well taken.

... unless you take time to measure the difference, generally we try different material and different stuffing methods until the sound is right.

Right. In the Elsinores, near the drivers and (not obstructing port), the front is well lined. The back of the cabinet is filled. The physical volume is about 75 Litres, but when I need a shorter length of port and do the measurement there, the box is acting as a box with a volume of 100-110 Litres.

Too close to the driver, it actually creates pressure loading on the driver where in some cases, will cause the mid frequencies to be overly damped, which for woofer covering frequencies below 100 Hz only is not a problem. I will be testing some various stuffing methods on a Behringer B300 soon along with other mods.

The old standard idea of using fill for a sealed box and lining for a vented box, this convention needs to be broken with regards to the latter. I follow your advice of not so much fill near the back of the drivers (and none near the port) and that a considerable part of the volume needs to be filled. The sonic character is a more even (some may even say less lumpy) bass and to my ears is more similar to a TL than a vented box. There is also a nice sense of weight and a feeling that it is going deeper than what a mere FR measurement would indicate. I am not sure, but what I think is happening is that the air in the vent seems to better couple to the outside air, like you are getting a better acoustic impedance match. But that is just theory.

I have done a number of vented speakers like that of various sizes, and even in compact boxes using 5.25" MidBass driver and 1" Tweeter. It works every time.

Let me know how you go with the Behringer B300. Is it a vented box?

Update:

I am having problems sourcing 1R8 10 Watt for use in the Hamlets. The Elsinore uses 3R9 10 Watt and we can use two of those in parallel to get 1R95 20 Watt in total. This will do nicely.

So the aim is between 1R8 and 2R max.

That also means that you can use 2R value resistors 10 Watt, if they are available to you.

The 2R is the max value (the common 2R2 is too high).

Hope that helps. I can now get kids ordered ready to send. They will contain one 3R9 per PCB if for Elsinores, and two 3R9 for Hamlet PCBs. If I am not sure, I will send two to be safe.

I will update the Hamlet Parts List to reflect above as soon as able.

Update:

The drawings for Elsinores and Hamlets are being revised and will let you know here when they have been posted. It is about simplifying the mounting of the Waveguide/Tweeter assembly.

Take a look at the below attachments, you can see that the hole is being enlarged to 108mm and that leaves 2mm around the 104mm mounting flange of the Tweeter.

They are before and after, three sets. Not the middle 3D, the simplified hole is not to scale.

Attachments

• EL-6_Side_View.gif
    EL-6_Side_View.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 309
  • EL-6_Side_View_Simplex.gif
    EL-6_Side_View_Simplex.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 306
  • EL-6-3D.gif
    EL-6-3D.gif
    126.7 KB · Views: 312
  • EL-6-3D_Simplex.gif
    EL-6-3D_Simplex.gif
    130.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Sub_Front Panel_Squares.gif
    Sub_Front Panel_Squares.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Sub_Front Panel_Simplex.gif
    Sub_Front Panel_Simplex.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
confusion over port size for Elsinore MFC Mk 6

Joe,

I'm a bit confused -- on the Elsinore Mk 6 parts list under post 4060, the port is listed as 100mm x 100mm and approx 96mm inner diameter.

On the new drawings in post 4150 shows the port as 90mm diameter and 100mm length. Which is the one I should be trying to source?

Thanks,
Happyjack

Alternate Elsinre Enclosure

A little bit of tricky editing and below the hole is a bit closer to scale.

I have been following your Elsinore project for some time and have been an enthusiastic admirer of this DIY project. However, I have been concerned with the original choice of enclosure material, even though it is the most economical choice by a factor of 4, with weight and availability of 25mm MDF to be an issue for some.
So I have looked around for alternative solutions and it looks as though other DIYers have also expressed using 18mm or ¾ inch ply, but I note that no one has offered concrete plans utilizing the 18mm ply construction that adheres to Joe’s ever evolving plans.
For those interested, I have taken the liberty with an updated 18mm ply design that conforms to Joe’s original design, having an internal volume of 74,86L that is inclusive of internal braces and panels and a front baffle that meets all of Joe’s requirements. The enclosure sits on a stand, fixed or removable, with the following overall dimensions, 280 x 350 x 1250mm. The stand can accommodate Joe’s new crossover PCBs and can be finished to one’s choice.
Please note that 2 sheets of 2440 x 1200 x 18mm ply will be required for this design. I'm sure that Joe's design may be adequate for some, but this is just an alternative for those that desire an alternative scope.

For those DIYers interested in the amended design, please feel free to peruse the attached SketchUp file and if it meets with your requirements I welcome your feedback on the forum. Note, the CAD design has been assembled with all the enclosure components. All components can be detached and examined individually and dimension extracted for each for easy deployment.

Attachments

• Elsinore Assembly.zip
    428.4 KB · Views: 70
Alternate Elsinore Enclosure

A little bit of tricky editing and below the hole is a bit closer to scale.

For those DIYers interested in the amended design, please feel free to peruse the attached SketchUp file and if it meets with your requirements I welcome your feedback on the forum. Note, the CAD design has been assembled with all the enclosure components. All components can be detached and examined individually and dimension extracted for each for easy deployment.[/QUOTE]

Apologies due to all, found an error in one of the elements, ie Sub-Front Panel was malformed. Please see amended CAD file.

Attachments

• Elsinore Assembly.zip
    433.5 KB · Views: 64