The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Joe, I thought when you first posted the crossover for the Hamlet the C1 cap was a different value than it was on the Elsinore's. Where you able to use the same value on the Hamlet then?

Yes, the earlier value was still provisional and both listening and RTA measurements indicated that the balance of the Hamlet has slightly less diffraction compensation in the lower mids and that has to be balanced against upper mids and lower treble. Some might call this "voicing" and is a term that I am not comfortable with, but I know what they mean. To me "voicing" sounds too much like having a bias - I just want what I can see and measure as the right balance and low distortion. I am definitely a low distortion guy.

I am happy to say that the Hamlet, even with this compromise relative to the Elsinores, still works very well. The fact that it must also work as a centre-channel as well as free-standing stereo, I think I got it as good as possible.

Now both Elsinore MFC and Hamlet MFC use the exact same high-pass filter. This is interesting since it says that they have virtually the same voltage sensitivity. But in the lower mids the output of the Hamlet is about 2dB down, this is the compromise I am referring to. In some ways it made the Hamlet more than a challenge compared to the Elsinores. But when balanced as per above, it seems to work very well. If I sound pleased, it's because I am.

Cheers, Joe

Joe I am trying to make a check list of everything I'm going to need, so I don't like usual, forget something midway through my build, so I am saving pertinent posts to a file on my PC, but I can't find where you posted what resistors come with the, or maybe I do, it says the 2 recommended 10 watt? Also, I cannot find a 1.2 uf cap in the states. I usually buy from parts Express and Madisound and neither have a 1.2 except PE has Audyn True Copper cap...which hell I'll but that if you think I should. I can get Parts Express 1uf and .22uf if it has to be 1.2. They are pretty small and I can stack them. Or can i use a 1.5uf cap? Also, 3R9? Can I use 4ohm?

And the smallest inductor I see is .25mh for L5. I could buy that and unwind it I guess, I have the appropriate meter to test it, but I'm running into snags already, oh and I'm not through, but one thing at a time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
And the smallest inductor I see is .25mh for L5.

Thanks.

Parts Express search engine is so stupid. I searched for .05mh last night and nothing came up. Then today I was looking through the coils and I found a Jantzen .05 mh, but it's out of stock, then I kept scrolling, and found more then I searched 0.05mH and it finds four choices...I hate there website! Madisound's is no better! I found some 1.o uf caps, but I'll keep looking. It was late so maybe that was part of it too.

What are people in the states using for internal wiring. I used the Supra Classic in my Elsinores, as there is much selection that I have found any where else.

It depends on the quality of the resistor used before the tweeter..

For Pilk I spec.ed a Dueland Cast resistor (which has small gauge twisted silver leads), so for its connection I spec'ed

Neotech Silver PTFE Strand Hook-Up Wire

and the return I spec'ed

Neotech Wire 24awg Stranded *PTFE Jacket RED

This is what I spec'ed for the midbass section (both connections):

Neotech Wire 20awg Cotton Jacket RED

I will go with something from that cable cookbook of the late Allen Wright. No way I am having stranded cable anywhere in the signal path.

Sounds like this is the same concept that Mike Morrow uses. I have a pair of his Sp2 speaker cables that I was going to upgrade for use on my Elsinores a few months ago, but I had a hit in my income that has me waiting to replace the part I lost. He makes an internal wiring kit I might use, because I'm just building the center channel for now. Then again I might buy Allen's Book and consider building my own. I've know about this train of thought for a long time but never never read anything about it.