The "Elsinore Project" Thread

I have the Nomex V5 which I built in 2011. A friend of mine (oZmoZis) has recently completed an SB acoustics V6 build. I can't say that I hear any definite difference between them. Nothing leaps out as being markedly different but I haven't done an A/B side by side comparison as such. It's not easy to transport them as they weigh around 45KG a piece, or in the case of oZmoZis's V6's around 65KG each! They both exhibit chiseled out imaging and wonderful dynamics. Maybe someone else has done an A/B? Joe perhaps?

Does anyone who's listened to Elsionres with both types of woofers prefer the Peerless HDS Nomex version over the recent version with the SB Acoustics woofers?

Do you still have any waveguide Joe?

I'd like to get some advices: I find in my furniture worker that he has 18mm Meranti plywood, and i have used 1 sheet of them for my audio rack. Since this plywood is very solid compared to mdf, which one is better choice for my Elsinore build:
- use only 18mm, same WHD which will give bigger volume
- 18mm plywood with additional 6mm mdf outside
- double 18mm with same high and depth but will add extra depth to get same volume
- if above options are not good, i'll go double 12mm mdf since 25mm is not available here.

I have tried to search but cant find any result, what is internal volume for elsinore?

Do you still have any waveguide Joe?

Have good supplies, order via PayPal address joeras@vacuumstate.com either $190 AUD or $150 USD for one pair, includes postage to anywhere on the planet, comes with Black Screws etc.

I'd like to get some advice: I find in my furniture worker that he has 18mm Meranti plywood, and i have used 1 sheet of them for my audio rack. Since this plywood is very solid compared to mdf, which one is better choice for my Elsinore build:

MDF is not the greatest material but at a minimum still gives good results, but other have used materials considered better, so no objections from me.

- use only 18mm, same WHD which will give bigger volume
- 18mm plywood with additional 6mm mdf outside
- double 18mm with same high and depth but will add extra depth to get same volume
- if above options are not good, i'll go double 12mm mdf since 25mm is not available here.

I have tried to search but cant find any result, what is internal volume for elsinore?

The internal volume is roughly 77 Litres (79L minus internal bracing).

The only dimension I would play with is the depth, for the simple reason that you don't want to mess around too much with the front panel dimensions, hence width and height should stay 280mm and 1150mm respectively. This is because of the diffraction loss is taken into account when computer modelling.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Joe

New: Usher S520 & Coming: Hamlet Mk6

Link: Joe Rasmussen Usher S520 "Current Compatible" Crossover has been posted.

These are small satellite speakers that compliment the Elsinores in multi-channel situations.

I can also announce that a revised version of the Hamlet is in the works. It will use the same drivers as the Elsinore Mk6 and hence it too will jump a bunch of numbers and be called Hamlet Mk6. ETA is some time in February.

Cheers, Joe

- if above options are not good, i'll go double 12mm mdf since 25mm is not available here?

I have done extensive research on audio speaker enclosures, one of the best research projects I've read someone else posting online concluded significant benefit from putting tar paper between two sheets of wood.

If double 12mm is feasible for you, I highly recommend you consider some type of "constrained layer damping" or the cheap and effective tar paper "sandwich". I hope someday to test tar paper sandwich with contact adhesive vs "loose", but alas, I haven't completed that test yet.

A more difficult, but also extremely effective damping method for speaker enclosure walls is to have a thin layer of sand between two layers of wood - but, two layers of good hardwood plywood with the tar paper in between is already so superior to MDF in any testing I've seen...

I have built enclosures with MDF and found speakers to be decent sounding, but the only specific testing I've done has been with Baltic Birch plywood and different bracing/damping methods, and one extreme case involving concentric metal spheres.

The final touch (after 4 years). With thanks to oZmoZis and his 3D printer.

Attachments

• Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 690
I also dropped in only to certify that after all this time with Elsinores (the original Peerless mkV) I consider them the best DIY value so far. they are truly amazing. my biggest beef with them so far is that they already sound good with a common Costco-grade Yamaha amplifier and I am still looking for the right classA amp to get a worthy incremental improvement. I only wish Joe was on this continent so I could get him 8 of those B&W kevlar drivers to try to better this :rolleyes:.

I also dropped in only to certify that after all this time with Elsinores (the original Peerless mkV) I consider them the best DIY value so far. they are truly amazing. my biggest beef with them so far is that they already sound good with a common Costco-grade Yamaha amplifier and I am still looking for the right classA amp to get a worthy incremental improvement. I only wish Joe was on this continent so I could get him 8 of those B&W kevlar drivers to try to better this :rolleyes:.

Very odd. just came from Costco petrol station - they wouldn't let me buy petrol because the girl who renewed my membership messed up. We have an expression here "NOT HAPPY JAN." :mad:

Must watch this YouTube clip to understand. :D

If that doesn't put a smile on your face, then consider yourself a lost cause. :smash:

Re B&W Kevlars, done that already, except the drivers are SB Acoustics designed by Scan-Speak designers - I honestly wouldn't swap them for kevlars, trust me on that one.

Cheers, Joe

I'm also running Monarchy amps on my Elsinore's. I have two SM70 Pro's in bridge mode. The difference between them and my previous class A/B Mosfet power amp was like chalk and cheese. The dynamics, detail, and overall clarity is vastly improved. As the Elsinore's are quite efficient they lend themselves greatly to class A amplification. All those little details in the music are often at quite low levels where a class A amp excels. The first watt is the best watt. If you are in the States the Monarchy amps are a bargain. I got very lucky with mine. The first one I bought on Ebay for just over $300. The second one I bought from the states, also on ebay, in a non working state. It was a very easy fix so now I have a pair and haven't looked back. I thoroughly recommend them.

have you looked at Monarchy Audio SM70 MkII? i've had one for about one year and this thing sound great through my Elsinore MKV speakers and the price is pretty darn good.
cheers,
Scott

Hi Joe, noticed over in the Hypex Ncore thread that you have a pair or the mono's and quite a bit of experience with them. How do you find them with the V6 Elsinore?

Looking to upgrade the amps and looking at a few options. I'd like to keep the diy theme going.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am in the process of getting my parts together for an Elsinore build. Rather than wade through this entire thread again I thought it would expedite things if I just posed my question here. The crossover diagram on Joe's webpage for the tweeter has a resistor of 6R8 and a 0.47uF cap. Both are in red with no referencing number. What is their story? TIA

Paul