The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Hi Scott. I had the same epiphany when I went from Solen to Jantzen Superior Z caps...

Yes, they are the ones I have been recommending as well. Of course there are other caps out there that are also very good, but the value of the Jantzen means you don't have to pay big bucks and oh boy, there are some incredibly expensive caps out there.

Hi all,
just wanted to share my recent experience. i decided to upgrade my tweeter caps from Audyn plus to a Mundorf supreme. i'd had the caps in for over a year and loved the sound, but boy what an improvement with the Mundorfs! the sound is smoother, a bit more detailed in the upper registers and most importantly, i get the constant craving to turn up the volume. I'm amazed by what a difference in components this speaker can reveal! just wanted to share my experience. oh, these are version V speakers.
cheers,
Scott in Duvall, WA

If anyone was paying attention I started with the Supreme's and upgraded to the Audyn True Copper...they are truly amazing! I didn't use the Supremes long, and would have been happy with them, but I already had one True copper as that was what I was going to use, but they only had one in stock.

I had to get the Supremes to finish my build.

So let me say this...definitely not sorry I went with the Copper ( used Supremes about 1- 2 months)...although I'd say the real test would be to have a pair of these, one with the Copper and one with supremes and listen alternatively side by side!

In any case they definitely don't sound worse! ;) no I'd say they moved them more into the "Elite" speaker range with this upgrade!

I think any upgrade to these speakers is worth the money and effort!

Here's my abridged review...

Everytime I listen to these speakers it's an emotional experience that cannot be described with words.

It's without question like falling in love for the first time. You cannot explain true love to someone who's never experienced it.

The best thing about these speaker is you get to re-live true love every time you listen to these miracles of DIY!

Without question when it comes to music, this is the best decision I have ever made.

Again I'd like to point out... my brother has a pair of Dunlavy speakers...so I have heard some of the arguably best speakers....

A/B Comparisons.

I reckon the best way to compare caps, or any other changes made is to listen to them in the original state for some months and get used to the sound, then make the change and compare. I find A/B comparisons with subtle differences can be difficult to hear, but longer term the differences are quite noticeable.

If anyone was paying attention I started with the Supreme's and upgraded to the Audyn True Copper...they are truly amazing! I didn't use the Supremes long, and would have been happy with them, but I already had one True copper as that was what I was going to use, but they only had one in stock.

I had to get the Supremes to finish my build.

So let me say this...definitely not sorry I went with the Copper ( used Supremes about 1- 2 months)...although I'd say the real test would be to have a pair of these, one with the Copper and one with supremes and listen alternatively side by side!

In any case they definitely don't sound worse! ;) no I'd say they moved them more into the "Elite" speaker range with this upgrade!

I think any upgrade to these speakers is worth the money and effort!

Made some grills for the Mark VI and fitted them with a badge. During construction i embedded some rare earth magnets in the front panel.There are more magnets embeded in the grill so they are held in place without physical couplings. Therefore when the grills are removed there is no distruption to the finish of the front panels. I have attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 20151205_191444.jpg
    20151205_191444.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_20151205_191900.jpg
    IMG_20151205_191900.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 801
OZmOzis,

Grills tastefully done - good addition to an already handsome set of speakers.

Embedded Neodymium magnets for holding up the grilles is a smart way of enabling the grill option, and at the same time preserving the clean look of the front baffle sans any pesky little holes. Grills can come in handy, especially if there are kids in the house. :)