The diyAudio First Watt M2x

The supply voltage will certainly drop once it has a load applied. Yours will probably be Ok. The voltage limitation is in the front end cards. Ishikawa and Austin are safest around 24V or below. Tucson depends on the opamp. The other front ends have built in voltage regulation.
The output stage current is independent of the rail voltage. This is a special attribute of the M2.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi
a new M2x is born :) This amp is just sooo good :love:
Many thanks again to the one and only @Nelson Pass, to @Mark Johnson and to @6L6 Jim.
And of course many thanks for the help and feedback :cheers:

PSX_20221028_210711.jpg

PSX_20221028_210918.jpg

PSX_20221028_210954.jpg

PSX_20221028_211050.jpg

PSX_20221028_213445.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I’m honored for the mention, but the fantastic amplifier that is M2x is really because of two people - Mark Johnson making some fantastic additions and iterations to the idea started by Nelson Pass.

Your construction is absolutely beautiful!!! I think it has to be the best M2x ever built!

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Gianluca may need to put the "Plott special edition" series chassis into his lineup. :). Your designs are gorgeous. Cool application of having your RCA grounds and signal wiring completely separate. I've never seen that before. Did you post pics of the internals previously that I've either missed or my feeble mind has forgotten?

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
^ Gianluca may need to put the "Plott special edition" series chassis into his lineup. :). Your designs are gorgeous. Cool application of having your RCA grounds and signal wiring completely separate. I've never seen that before. Did you post pics of the internals previously that I've either missed or my feeble mind has forgotten?
Many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated :worship: Regarding grounding, I use a Synergistic Research grounding block where all my devices are grounded. With the commercial devices I use an unused RCA for the grounding, but with the amp there is no unused one :) so a separate gnd connection was needed. Pics of the wiring will follow tomorrow (y)

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Many thanks Jim and AudioSan, I'm glad you like it :cheers:
Next step - playing with the input stages :deerman:
Sadly no IC is available for the Norwood, a replacement would be cool.
you can use the "HA9P5002-9Z" version - sadly it's not stock today, but Mouser is expecting 785 on Nov 25th, which is a lot sooner than Apr 10th for the original spec'd "5z" version, with a $5 premium of course. I can tell you that Norwood is a very good daughter board and my favorite, but won't get into a debate over my personal opinion. I would say that you owe it to that classy M2x build you did to give it a try and see/listen for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Here the internals as promised:

PSX_20221030_114414.jpg

Reactions: 2 users