The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for the replies. There is a ground terminal, which I previously considered only on the “input”. I was struggling with a different concept though, that the daughter board does not have a ground. It struck me today that the “out” connection would work as a ground. Is that correct?

This SMPS has both + and - , but I’m guessing that just like my cheap bench supply, it will only supply either +24 or -24. I might could use both the meanwell, and bench supply I suppose.

I have a couple questions for the collective:

Being that the daughter board mounting hardware is part of the signal path, has anyone found any fancy hardware like copper standoffs? Or are we all just using aluminum and steel?

C1 (on most daughter boards), are we using this? i understand it blocks potential DC. Is it possible to measure DC without the board connected to the rest of the circuit? Or would it be beneficial to invest in exotic caps here? Im curious to what others have done and what their experiences were.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It is a "single output" supply. You need two of them or a different supply. Sorry I didn't look at which model you had on the Amazon link. Two of these would work or find a dual out supply.

So yes, you are correct, it's one of those either or supplies.

Thanks for the replies. There is a ground terminal, which I previously considered only on the “input”. I was struggling with a different concept though, that the daughter board does not have a ground. It struck me today that the “out” connection would work as a ground. Is that correct?

This SMPS has both + and - , but I’m guessing that just like my cheap bench supply, it will only supply either +24 or -24. I might could use both the meanwell, and bench supply I suppose.

I have a couple questions for the collective:

Being that the daughter board mounting hardware is part of the signal path, has anyone found any fancy hardware like copper standoffs? Or are we all just using aluminum and steel?

I use M3 brass standoffs, available in various lengths and styles, typically from Amazon:
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ87PVK

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I tried to find a jeweler or a jewelry repair station that would plate the daughter card mounting hardware with some kind of precious metal. I asked about gold, platinum, silver, or rhodium. The answer was, helll no, not anywhere in California, the required electrochemical steps are incompatible with hazmat laws.

Maybe some other jurisdiction might be more accommodating. You could ask around.

Of course you could always solder insulated stranded wires into the motherboard, connected to lugs which fit between the daughter board and the mounting washers & nuts. Use a total of eight wires and eight lugs, two per bolt, to increase the probability of an excellent contact. One lug on the bottom side of the PCB then another lug on the top side of the PCB. And search eBay for gold plated lugs.

_

Attachments

• lugs.png
    lugs.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I tried to find a jeweler or a jewelry repair station that would plate the daughter card mounting hardware with some kind of precious metal. I asked about gold, platinum, silver, or rhodium. The answer was, helll no, not anywhere in California, the required electrochemical steps are incompatible with hazmat laws.

Maybe some other jurisdiction might be more accommodating. You could ask around.

Of course you could always solder insulated stranded wires into the motherboard, connected to lugs which fit between the daughter board and the mounting washers & nuts. Use a total of eight wires and eight lugs, two per bolt, to increase the probability of an excellent contact. One lug on the bottom side of the PCB then another lug on the top side of the PCB. And search eBay for gold plated lugs.

_

These are all great ideas. I live in Oklahoma, the environmental related regulations here are not nearly as stringent. The jumper idea sounds like a pretty good idea as well. For now i will just worry about getting it built and populating as many different daughter boards as possible. I think Mouser will do PCBs now. I would like to use your gerber files and get those new ones made as well. Thanks for your continued effort on this and other projects on here.

Finally made this upgrade...systemic issues with loosening bolts over time...I do tend to board swap however. Also possible I didn't follow 6L6 washer formula to the letter :D:D:D.
Worthwhile upgrade—I sleep better at night now.... in spite of the fact that I could make Cedarburg permanent and be totally happy.
Parts: male, female

Mouser also has this for $$—the pins on this version fit the daughter PCB holes better BUT they are also long—get a little close for comfort to the sinks—didn't try to cut them:
female

attachment.php

Attachments

• PF-M2X-Pins_01.jpg
    PF-M2X-Pins_01.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 828
  • PF-M2X-Pins_02.jpg
    PF-M2X-Pins_02.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 387
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I got a bag of those from Germany awhile back. I’m also about ready to prioritize my daughter cards to solder these until I run out. There are a lot of daughter cards out there, and I have built most of them..

Cedarburg - still my favorite, with IPS6 close behind.
IPS7 - OpAmp rolling is fun
Hakuin is pretty good too
Several of the original cards too.

Waiting mainly because once I commit to these connectors, options get limited.

That being said, I put the Cedarburg cards back in today, and actually bolted the tops back on the chassis. I really like the Cedarburg.

Taking a pause till I see how Simple SE FVet ends up. And SITs...