The diyAudio First Watt M2x

I got new boards from Ryssen (thank you! ) and since two days i am listening to IPS 6. They are really my favourite IPS cards - maybe i am biased because it took me several months to get a pair of running IPS 6. But i think the sound is really clear and well balanced, with great bass, nice treble, very good presentation of voices and a great soundstage.

Its been a long, wild and expensive journey - but i learned a lot and i was rewarded with a great sounding amplifier. Looking forward to continue this journey with more mods and IPS cards to come...

Thanks for sharing your experience AddiDub! Do you use H9KPXG soft start/delay in your amp to turn it On and Off?
I have replaced all the components in my pair of IPS6 (boards from diyaudio store ) twice. I agree that it sounds great, but in my amp, it has a thump during turn On and turn Off when installed. I cannot figure out why as I do not have it on any other cards (except Cedarburg which I have not assembled yet). I adjusted the offset to +-5 and +-7mV after one hour, R5 omitted, no jumper.
I too have a set of boards from the Ryssen IPS6/IPS7 Group Buy. I will order parts for the IPS6 again to try but I am baffled on why I am getting the thump on my amp.
Just want to know if you hear , ever so slightly, a thump on turn On or Off.

Do you use H9KPXG soft start/delay in your amp to turn it On and Off?
I have replaced all the components in my pair of IPS6 (boards from diyaudio store ) twice. I agree that it sounds great, but in my amp, it has a thump during turn On and turn Off when installed.

Amandarae, i just had to search for H9KPXG - neat project, i think i will build it one day. Seems like it was published in June 2020 - at that time i already bought a similar device from jims Audio, with the intention to be able to use a low voltage switch. But this board also has an ICL soft start feature and a simple over-temperature protection.

To answer your question: using IPS 6 i have no thumb when turning the amp on, but a fair amount of "soft thumb" when i switch the amp off. In the first stages of my build i had big thumbs in turn-on with every IPS i tried. But that went away after reflowing the solder on both main boards and improving the IPS mounting standoffs.

Amandarae, i just had to search for H9KPXG - neat project, i think i will build it one day. Seems like it was published in June 2020 - at that time i already bought a similar device from jims Audio, with the intention to be able to use a low voltage switch. But this board also has an ICL soft start feature and a simple over-temperature protection.

To answer your question: using IPS 6 i have no thumb when turning the amp on, but a fair amount of "soft thumb" when i switch the amp off. In the first stages of my build i had big thumbs in turn-on with every IPS i tried. But that went away after reflowing the solder on both main boards and improving the IPS mounting standoffs.

Thank you AddiDub! The same experienced I have having more cone movement at turn Off than turn On. It bothers me as I can easily see the cone pumping what appears to be xmax.
I already tried reflowing the solder on the cards and have no thump with the other 6 card types, but will make sure to scrutinize and verify the soldering for the other IPS6 boards I will build. I am having difficulties sourcing the 512-KSA1220AYS, otherwise, I have all the other parts.

Last edited:
A lot of opamps are usually used in professional recording equipment?
The recordings we listen to have passed many opamps?

But it is rare we see opamps used in super high-end equipment to play back the recordings?

Is that because opamps are not considered "fine enough" and would not be well received by the "consumers" or is it really because the high-end companies does not like the sound of opamps during development of their expensive equipment?

It would reduce cost to use opamps instead of discrete transistors?

Also I have noticed when equipment are reviewed it is always a "thumbs up" when discrete transistors are used and a "thumbs down" if opamps are used. Maybe to get good reviews (and good sales) it would be a "no-go" to use opamps in the signal path for some companies?

For M2X we can just "don't care" and use what we think gives the best sound.....

to Meper #4789

Hello Meper,

I hope that you are fine?

I would give the LME49720 a try. It has very good drive capability (600Ohm like the EDCOR).

I've also tried the LT1028 with very good results - but in my WHAMMY (with adapter). I didn't try it in the M2X.
Never tried the ADA4898.
So, the OPAmp - journey continues....
I am more focused on the BlackForestBuffer of EUVL at the moment. Still some tweaks to do. But it plays music...

Cedarburg is a great buffer-board!
Greets
Dirk :D

Hi Dirk
I am fine here! .....and you also it seems...

Not been that active in DIY audio this year but have an ongoing project building a tube burn-in tester for ECC81,82,83 and those double triode types input tubes. Not because I really needs it but because it could be fun. I have a 300B SE amp that use ECC83 as input tubes. And why I build it in the largest configuration to be able to burn in 30 tubes in parallel....I don't know either.....other than it looks good.....

Also upgraded the PSU in my Bluesound Node 2i streamer/DAC so there is no SMPS inside the chassis. I did not expect any change in sound but I must say....."it did something"......so I can recommend this upgrade. On paper the new PSU is much more quiet than the original.

I skipped the LME49720 for now......but they are cheap so easy to try out later.

Maybe I will the first to try out ADA4898.....who knows :)

Attachments

• DSC_1553_00001.jpg
    DSC_1553_00001.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_1545_00001.jpg
    DSC_1545_00001.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_1551_00001.jpg
    DSC_1551_00001.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 265
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maybe I will the first to try out ADA4898.....who knows

Member @avdesignguru was the first to try the ADA4898-1 ("single") in an M2x, see post #4755 above. He is now working feverishly to try other, never-before-tried dual opamps in his WHAMMY. These opamps have never been tried because they are sold ONLY in SMD packages, and nobody before @avdesignguru has put them on a DIP adapter and plugged that adapter into a WHAMMY.

Ok....I am not sure I would be able to describe the "sound" in such details between different opamps.
If I did I would be afraid that someone would test my "results" in a blind test afterwards :)
The change that did most for the "sound stage" in my room was the speaker placement and listening position.

Thank you!
I found some PCBs from Germany at Ebay. They are PCB only so need to find the SIL pins also.....maybe I already have some.

The PCBs has two "fingerprints". SOP8 on one side and TSSOP8 on the other.
I have decided to solder them on input boards so I will not install DIP8 sockets. I have multiple sets of IPS7 boards.