The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I can tell you that mine are extremely secure. To be fair, I may have used a bit of "extra" solder. The connections are quite tight and require a bit of wiggling and tugging to get them loose. Never once did I think the blades would come loose from the board. In fact, one of my plastic covers slipped off of the female connection. All are still very secure, and I've swapped the connectors on and off at least 10X for various reasons. Hope that helps.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've actually used a very small (3/16" wide blade) slotted screwdriver blade to loosen some of the very tightest female blade connectors. Just a teeny little bit, so the PCBoard doesn't flex quite as much when pushing the female down onto the male. Only about half of the females were super tight enough that I wanted to loosen them a little bit. They're still plenty grippy even after loosening.

Quick question re the blade connectors. Is just soldering them in place enough to ensure a robust connection to the board? I ask because of a recent experience with a commercial(ish) product that resulted in a few of the blades pulling off of the board when I disconnected the power supply wiring to make some changes.

I gave the tabs a bit of a squeeze with pliers. Not enough to compress the through hole, but just enough to pull them tight (ish) against the board before soldering.

It just makes them easier to solder that way.

I have started testing my M2X mono blocks. If looks ok so far.....I think. I use 8 ohm resistor as load. Sinus generator as input signal. I have added 3 scope pictures. Settings is 10V/Div. Frequency set to 20 Hz looks fine but if reduced to 10 Hz signal looks like cross-over distortion? ….is that because amp runs out of bias? If I reduce input signal a bit signal looks ok again as seen in last picture. Rails are +-23V and bias approx. 1.3 A.

Attachments

• DSC_4005_00001.jpg
    DSC_4005_00001.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC_4006_00001.jpg
    DSC_4006_00001.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC_4011_00001.jpg
    DSC_4011_00001.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 355
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Swap in another of your daughter cards to find out. I happen to know that you have you two working Norwood boards, because I built them myself and shipped them to you on 07 Jan 2019. Put them in and see how well or how poorly they work, when the M2x output looks like photo #2 of post 2250.

Maybe you will conclude that you can accept or tolerate an M2x amplifier whose maximum undistorted output power begins to fall when producing output sinewaves at frequencies below 20 Hertz.

~

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The purpose of the test is to discover whether the Edcor transformer is working well and the daughter card is misbehaving, or whether the Edcor transformer is misbehaving and the daughter card is working well.

Or perhaps the data in post 2254 tells us the answer immediately. Input to Edcor is slightly bad, output from Edcor is very bad. What does this mean, Dr. Watson?

Edcor may be the largest contributor to the distortion. …..but will be interesting to see with other input boards that has more driving power so there is a clean input signal to Edcor. I also need to check that input boards has good connection. We see when 2nd board is tested on other amp.