The Black Hole......

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think Jacques Loussier was there first
YouTube
Thanks
The timber of the notes of the acoustic bass are more difficult to be reproduced properly compared to the almost continuous low notes of an organ, plus the harmonic structure of a hard plucked chord does not allow our brain to properly synthesize the missing fundamental, thus we don’t ‘hear’ it reaching low.
Before leaving the chapter of J.S.B. I would like to add my two words that the emotions generated from his music have not much to do -if at all- from the bass by impressive large organs. On the contrary IMO it has to do with the austere composition of the script asking for a terse interpreter (enter Karl Richter, Glenn Gould, Jascha Heifetz, Pablo Casals, Andres Segovia)
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZEUjDoji3Y

George

Joined 2014
Paid Member
All true George. For me the biggest issue with organ music at home is the rendition of space around you.

My #1 Bach composition is Cantata BVW29. Now this comes in a variety of versions, from orchestral to full on big ****** organ. Compare and contrast.

YouTube
YouTube

Apologies on the second one for the long introduction, But Diana Bish does OTT better than many :). I like both but the first link is definately more 'Bach'.

And of course most people remember it from the Wendy Carlos version YouTube