The Black Hole......

Many years ago I obtained the best sounding CD I've ever owned for the price of a copy of Hi Fi News and Record Reviews.

Burned by the UK's Meridian it introduced me to Lorraine Hunt as well as Bach's Trio Sonatas played by John Butt.

That disk was lost in a break-in but even though the sound isn't quite as good on the usual HM pressing the music is still wonderful if subtler than the blockbusters mentioned.

On the more exuberant end of the yardstick I would add Sir Ernest MacMillan's Cortege Academique.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This what I regard to be the essence of Bach.
Just one piano, nothing else, creating Goosebumps when you are a bit stressed and want to relax.
Just my very personal opinion.
Dropbox - Bach - Simplify your life
Hans
You are absolutely right Hans.
The beauty of JSB music lies in the simple skeleton of the melody (yet there is so much on the score ).
YouTube
The Cantor’s architecture was opened to me when I was reading score transcriptions for guitar.

Below, a very human and musical video
YouTube

George

My #1 Bach by far is the St Matthew Passion (Ton Koopman, Suzuki etc)
You can wake me every hour in the night to listen to it.
All those voices especially sounding fantastic on ESL’s.

Hans

Did you know that Masaki Suzuki has just come out with a new recording of St. Matthew Passion? I don't have it yet, but I will. I like his way with the cantatas.

Played 'Rothko Chapel' to the wife today. She didn't run screaming from the room, but I think will take another play to start growing on her :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Is she into Ligeti? I never realized Lux Eterna had words until a couple of years ago.

I tried a few color field paintings a few years ago because it looks so simple but the Rothko's just are special even when a virtual field of black.