The Best DAC is no DAC

2. Can I power it from USB. Use USB switch on JLSound board and power it with dirty power from USB. I plan to bay decent linear power supply but this is to test.

Yes, but as per the JLSounds website, you will need to connect power to the 'clean side' from the 'dirty side'. Of course, the results will be compromised.

3. Can some one explain me purpose of board's jumpers.

There is only one jumper, J1. This gives you the option to use the original muting circuit without Fabio's delay section. Just install the jumper and omit the timer circuit components.

Ray

Group Buy Update

I have now sent out replacement PCBs to those who contacted me to say they hadn't received them from the original group buy. I am now assuming that everyone has received their boards.

As it turns out I needed to send fewer replacements than I expected so I have some spare boards if anyone needs any. I have eight flipflop boards and eleven single-ended. When they're gone they're gone.

Same deal as before. If you're interested send me a PM with your requirements and your location and I'll get back to you with a cost.

As I mentioned previously, these boards are from the second batch so the error has been corrected and don't have the tabs with the mounting holes.

Ray

Hi there,
I'm going to complete the board, finally - just got the parts for the LP filter (a pair of honests 0.01 Wima and 390R TE connectivity MF res)
I'm still getting confused by muting...

If you want to use the relay to mute the output from the filter section just run some wire links from mute1 and mute2 to the spare pads I've included at the outputs, otherwise, use mute 1 and mute 2 to ground the output from your project (i.e. hook up your phono output sockets to mute 1 abd mute 2.
I've retained J1, which allows you to not use Fabio's delay circuit
There is only one jumper, J1. This gives you the option to use the original muting circuit without Fabio's delay section. Just install the jumper and omit the timer circuit components.

Ray

I'd leave J1 open to use the delay circuit. For now, since I miss the 250k pot (can I use some another value? It seems hard to source) and the two 2N5551, I'll put a header with a cap on it.

I'd use (or try it at least) che TQ2-5V relay. How shoud I wire Mute1 and Mute2?

I'm still getting confused by muting...

You have two mute options, with or without Fabio's adjustable delay circuit.

If you wish to use Fabio's delay circuit, populate all of the components and omit J1.

If you wish to use the original delay circuit omit the timer IC and bridge J1.

Mute 1 and Mute 2 are the connectors for the relay contacts so you connect one pin/pad of each to ground and the other to pin/pad to the signal line you want to mute.

Does that help?

Ray

You have two mute options, with or without Fabio's adjustable delay circuit.

If you wish to use Fabio's delay circuit, populate all of the components and omit J1.

If you wish to use the original delay circuit omit the timer IC and bridge J1.

Mute 1 and Mute 2 are the connectors for the relay contacts so you connect one pin/pad of each to ground and the other to pin/pad to the signal line you want to mute.

Does that help?

Ray

Yep, thanks, as usual you're very clear.
So, I'll just solder the J1 header while I wait for transistors and pot, maybe desolder headers I put on Mute and wire them...
For now, this is my status quo:

f7ba98a5a6f1babdb64ae5c880b06d7e.jpg

EDIT: Shame on me! I didn't notice this scheme neither on that forum, neither here:
So...
Mute2 pin1 wires to ROut-
Mute2 pin2 wires to LOut-
Mute1 pin1 becomes ROut-
Mute2 pin2 becomes LOut-

Last edited:
Yep, thanks, as usual you're very clear.
So, I'll just solder the J1 header while I wait for transistors and pot, maybe desolder headers I put on Mute and wire them...

As you've used an IC socket for the NE555 you can have both mute options available if you use a header and removable jumper instead of soldering a link across J1. That's what I have done;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EDIT: Shame on me! I didn't notice this scheme neither on that forum, neither here:-

There's a schematic here;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac-94.html#post4630381

So...
Mute2 pin1 wires to ROut-
Mute2 pin2 wires to LOut-
Mute1 pin1 becomes ROut-
Mute2 pin2 becomes LOut-

No.

Mute 1 Pin 1 = channel 1 signal (or channel 1 output +)
Mute 1 Pin 2 = ground (or channel 1 output -)

Mute 2 Pin 1 = channel 2 signal (or channel 2 output +)
Mute 2 Pin 2 = ground (or channel 2 output -)

Ray