The Best DAC is no DAC

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ray the Pin numbers are as per attached picture or inverted?

Attachments

• WP_20160417_001[1].jpg
    WP_20160417_001[1].jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
As you've used an IC socket for the NE555 you can have both mute options available if you use a header and removable jumper instead of soldering a link across J1. That's what I have done;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There's a schematic here;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac-94.html#post4630381

No.

Mute 1 Pin 1 = channel 1 signal (or channel 1 output +)
Mute 1 Pin 2 = ground (or channel 1 output -)

Mute 2 Pin 1 = channel 2 signal (or channel 2 output +)
Mute 2 Pin 2 = ground (or channel 2 output -)

Ray

Thanks again Ray.
I've seen you are using the pin on both, as I did. How are you linking them?

Joined 2007
Paid Member

Thanks for all of your efforts on this, Ray! I'm putting together a parts order and want to maximize/optimize flip-flop voltage out. I find this link to be incorrect. Could you point me to your preferred part? TIA, Frank

Thank you, I measured around that value when feed bcf from the dac.
Is output level from the ff module always the same 2.4v? I mean it is not dependent on usb—i2s card type?

Hazard500 measured the output of his project. He's using a FlipFlop with the balanced output going to a pair of Llundahl transformers. He reported;

...I have measured the output of my no-DAC. I created a 440Hz, 0dB test signal using Audacity as a 16 bit wav file. Upsampling to DSD256 via HQPlayer, I measured 1.55V at the output of the transformer.

If you want to know more about Hazard's setup refer to post #1 of the thread.

Ray

Assuming you're asking about J1, I use something like this. It just pushes onto the header pins.

M7581-05 - HARWIN - Jumper (Busbar), Jumper Socket, Pin Headers, 2 Ways, 2.54 mm | Farnell element14

No, I was still talking about Mute1&2, just wondering how you'll use them - just 'cause as you've seen I have same 2pin strip soldered.
I was plenty of 2pin female sockets I used to salvage from old PC chassis... Wish I had kept them so I could try them here.

I have to update the XMOS firmware, got the two PSUs and I am ready to go. Thanks for your efforts and support!
M

No, I was still talking about Mute1&2, just wondering how you'll use them - just 'cause as you've seen I have same 2pin strip soldered.
I was plenty of 2pin female sockets I used to salvage from old PC chassis... Wish I had kept them so I could try them here.

I have to update the XMOS firmware, got the two PSUs and I am ready to go. Thanks for your efforts and support!
M

I use this sort of thing;

Du Pont header pin crimp connectors | eBay

Ray

Well, this time a simple update. I have to particular findings, but I managed to update the JLSounds with latest firmware from Joro (quite challenging for me), got the partially finished NoDAC SE board and measured 1,65v in Output on both channels. Perfect!

Now, I have to put together the offboard coupling caps - I've just a pair of 2,2uF Arcotronics and I'll test the result with my NAD C325BEE.

Again, thanks Ray for your immense and patient support!

Ray
For non JLSounds owners could you let us know where we have to connect pins 1-10 in others USB-I2S boards or isolators?

That's a bit of an ask, especially as I only use the JLSounds board so have no familiarity with other boards. I'll try to guide you in a general sense.

Pins 1 & 2 are power (5V DC) and ground. I suggest you connect these via a terminal block, located right next to pin 1. Remember the mute section of the board is completely isolated from the LP filter section. If you are using isolation between the USB board and the LP filter section I strongly suggest that you ground the mute section to the 'dirty' side ground (as it would be if plugged onto a JLSounds board).

Pins 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9 are not used.

Pin 10 is another ground connection, the same as pin2.

The connections to pin 7 and 8 will need you to research the specifics of your particular USB board and reconcile it against the JLSounds documentation.

http://jlsounds.com/uploads/Specifications.pdf

Pin 7 is the trigger connection for the mute circuit and you'll need to connect it to the Codec reset equivalent for your board (if an equivalent is available, if it isn't you'll not be able to trigger the mute relay)

Pin 8 is the trigger connection for the DSD indicator LED. You'll need to connect it to the Data Flag equivalent for your board.

Of course, for both 7 & 8, not only do you need the equivalents to the Codec and Data flags presented by your USB board, but the trigger voltage needs to be correct too (for example to light the DSD indicator LED, your USB board must provide a +3.3V voltage to pin 8 when DSD material is playing).

Looking at the Amanero documentation,

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/PureDSD/combo384-D.pdf

it looks as though you need to connect;

Mute trigger - Amanero pin 11 >> DSD board pin7
DSD Indicator - Amanero pin 7 >> DSD board pin 8
Ground - Amanero pin 13 >> DSD board pin 2
Power - connect DSD board pin 1 to your 5V Amanero power supply

I don't want to be responsible for any damage to people's USB boards so it is for you to check and confirm these connections. It shouldn't be difficult to check the output pins of the amanero (or other board) to see what they are presenting under what conditions.

I hope that points you in the right direction.

Ray

Last edited: