The Best DAC is no DAC

Hi Ray, I have a doubt. In the jlsound's pin 13 (R channel), I have 1,64v, in pin (l channel)14 0V. I think that the I2s is out. Do you can test it? Thanks, Fabio.

Is this just the USB board or is the 'noDAC' DSD board still in place?

I assume that is 1.64V DC? I don't understand how 0V on pin 14 will give you 5v on the left output.

Last edited:
A small observation that you chaps might want to be aware of, it concerns the 47uF FlipFlop power supply decoupling cap.

On the previous version of the board I used an old Silmic cap that I've had hanging around and it fitted fine. For the latest board build I had to buy a new silmic but found that the leadout wires are noticeably thicker and won't go through the holes in the pads.

I suggest using an alternative cap, with thinner wires (pad holes are 0.5mm diameter).

If you want to use a Silmic you will have to devise your own way of installing it. I drilled out the + pad hole and mounted the cap under the board by soldering the + lead on the top of the board and soldering the - lead to the ground pad of the 100nF bypass cap.

I have no idea whether a silmic makes a material difference for this cap as I have not done any comparison so it's your call.

Ray

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've compared Daphile to HQPlayer. Daphile sounds fine when playing direct DSD (eg from a DSF file with no upsampling). But PCM files converted to DSD dont sound right to me. IMHO, the quality of the the conversion is much better with HQPlayer. HQPlayer costs more but it is well worth it IMHO. Anyway you can get a free trial with HQPlayer so you try it before you buy. I strongly recommend it.

Latest beta drivers 16.03 PCM-to-DSD conversion improved: noise-shaping filter and rate options. Thanks to "mansr" for his excellent work on SoX DSD support!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/240040-daphile-audiophile-music-server-player-os-161.html#post4656121

Joined 2007
Paid Member
... quote from Ray:

Assuming all else is equal, I would be inclined towards the realtime kernel version...

... quote from Felipe:

Daphile don't have 32bits kernel rt

.. So Felipe - if I interpret your not too happy smiley correctly - then you would also use the real-time kernel version if you had a 64 bit operating system?

... the best for your Easter ... :spin:

Jesper

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• 2016-03-24.png
    2016-03-24.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 405