The Best DAC is no DAC

Could someone link the low pass filter calculator again please? I did search but it's not forthcoming and I've found other calculators online but they're giving me suspicious numbers..
I want to know what caps I need for 40khz low pass with either 270r or 135r resistors so I can make use of kit I have here.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ray your project sounds wonderful, I'm using Daphile player, I can resampling PCM only to DSD128 because my old Vaio can't afford more, Daphile player can resampling to DSD512, really I can only resampling to DSD64 to avoid cuts and pops also I have to reduce the max sample rate to 192K.

I'm very happy with Daphile SQ, what about the HQPlayer SQ?

Felipe

N.B. files DSD64, DSD128 and resampled PCM to DSD64 sounds OK. Interesting to listen more resampled but F2K SQ is very bad vs Daphile SQ.

Last edited:
Ray your project sounds wonderful, I'm using Daphile player, I can resampling PCM only to DSD128 because my old Vaio can't afford more, Daphile player can resampling to DSD512, really I can only resampling to DSD64 to avoid cuts and pops also I have to reduce the max sample rate to 192K.

I'm very happy with Daphile SQ, what about the HQPlayer SQ?

Felipe

N.B. files DSD64, DSD128 and resampled PCM to DSD64 sounds OK. Interesting to listen more resampled but F2K SQ is very bad vs Daphile SQ.

I'm glad you like the results Felipe, though I don't really warrant the credit for the project; all I've done is taken other peoples ideas and put them together on a PCB - I think of it as more of a community effort. You can buy me a beer next time I'm in Spain though:)

I've not tried Daphile (though if it can upsample to DSD512 perhaps I should) so can't give a view on it versus HQPlayer but I can say that 16/44.1 PCM upsampled to DSD256 with HQPlayer sounds excellent, better than my Botic/Buffalo3/Legato (via UPnP)

Ray

Last edited:
What kind of pc do you use HQplayer, do you use HQplayer with BIII?

I have one of these;

http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/content/specifications/z210_datasheet.pdf

I bought it used for about £200. The CPU (4core Xeon 3.4GHz) benchmarks is around 8-9000 as I recall (upsampling 16/44.1 PCM to DSD256 loads the CPU to around 33%). It runs Win10 and streams its output over a dedicated Gigabit LAN to an HQPlayer NAA device.

I have used HQPlayer with the BIII but only for PCM. I've upsampled PCM to 384KHz and played it on the Botic/BIII and it sounds very good. There are some compatibility issues with Botic/NAA that meiro will need to fix before DSD is a possibility.

Ray

Thanks for the info Ray, will be interesting to know your opinion about SQ of Daphile vs HQplayer before to change a better PC.

Felipe

Don't hold your breathe. Although I will try Daphile it is a Linux distro and I don't have the space to dual boot the PC at the moment. I would also be reluctant to not have the NAA capability as I wouldn't want the workstation in the listening room.

Finally, on DSD512, I don't have anything capable of using it at the moment, JLSounds is max of DSD256 currently.

Ray