The AMNESIS amp: a good amplifier, like a gentleman, has no memory.

Dear Hans and Andrej, thanks for the tips. Interesting geometries there. I might try some for myself. :)

My last PC was a cheap OCC copper with Furukawa wires.
Furukawa PCOCC 2Meters Audio Power Cable Cord 2M 9AWG | eBay
Not bad for the price, though it has not any especial spatial arrangement to its wires.

Dear Andrej, have you felt the need to check the CLC option for your SMPS's output?
I only have tested on one SMPS whose output was suspicious to begin with and now my scope is not operative so I cannot make further experiments...

I know you prefer "the other" topology :D but any advise will be welcome.

Cheers,
M.

Edit: now I see there are offerings for Gold Plated OCC copper wire.

Last edited:
OK, I consider myself invited...
First of all, what VFET do you have and how many?

Excellent. Welcome.

I have the four pairs of SONY 2SK60/2S18, if I remember correctly, which belong to the SONY TA-5650. Two pairs are on duty there.

I have two pairs of NEC 2SK70/2SJ20 (again, from memory), which are the ones that I intend to use as bootstraps on this amp's output since I hope they will give me the right voltages for the main BJTs. If too low, the SONY will probably be OK.

Then I have several non complimentary that I use or will use on single ended amps: TOKIN 2SK180 on use; SONY 2SK82 on use; TOKIN THF51S for units for future use. :cool:

Cheers,
M.

Those are veritable V-FETs (SIT) all right, very valuable, except the Tokin parts that are not in the same class.
Would you take a look at this please:

http://www.amplimos.it/images/hiraga2_Vfet.gif

Thank you. I already know that amp and of course, planned a cascoded output for it but never built it. ;)

Maybe you did not get the spirit of this thread, which is in a broad sense, to try new paths with the excuse of the Low Thermal Memory thing, but not limited to it. We may totally fail but at least we would have tried. :D

And yes the Tokin are industrial parts (hard to destroy) but they can be made to sound good and they can also be submitted to cascodying to make negligible the big Cgd. That is why I bought four THF 51S :D But of course I will cascode them first with a big transistor or a MOSFET.

Honestly, after listening to a LTMD amp, all other (safe maybe some single ended tube amps) sound boring to me.

Which reminds me, having to compare my two amps with other amps and using different sources and with different cables make the possible permutations endless so I won't comment on sound perception, meaning the usual frequency predominance, colour ...etc
I will only insist that the persistent trait is satisfactory dynamics and relaxation factor. Now, if more braves want to try (and perfect or clean-up) the amp, you will be also welcome.

I forgot to show my new upgraded power cord for my SD card player plus TDA1543 DUAL-MONO DAC, with 12awg solid core OCC copper surrounded by 3 wires of silver plated OFC (aerospatial grade) 22AWG winded in counter-rotation on both active leads, imitating the expensive example given by LC . The ground lead is (almost) straight. Noise floor went down and the picture is more orderly but colder now, IMHO.

Sorry to insist with these horrible videos...I think the cellphone not only distorts the highs but it also fails to catch the low bass. :(

YouTube

Oops! It is twisted. :eek:
Ha, ha!
M.

Attachments

• Cable power DIY.JPG
    Cable power DIY.JPG
    690.7 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
I forgot to show my new upgraded power cord for my SD card player plus TDA1543 DUAL-MONO DAC, with 12awg solid core OCC copper surrounded by 3 wires of silver plated OFC (aerospatial grade) 22AWG winded in counter-rotation on both active leads, imitating the expensive example given by LC . The ground lead is (almost) straight. Noise floor went down and the picture is more orderly but colder now, IMHO.

Should try the same power cord for power amp too.

Phone's mic is not so bad, freq resp is the least of a problem, compressor-limiter is the one to blame. This is the one taken by mine.

Max,
I find the spirit of this thread wrong and the designs a topological disaster. My answer to the question whether the amnesic feature is desirable in the first place is no.
By the way, how tiny can the combined Cob / reverse transfer capacitance of 2SC5200 / IRFP240 be?

Should try the same power cord for power amp too.

Phone's mic is not so bad, freq resp is the least of a problem, compressor-limiter is the one to blame. This is the one taken by mine.

Yours sound good. Seems iPhone does it OK. Mine is Samsung something: the only requisite I asked my wife was to get me something for free :D
Maybe I should borrow one.

I was thinking: why don't I use inductors instead of diodes to isolate the input/VAS from the output section?
I have some cute coils here. Maybe that would improve stability in the real world.

Talking about poetry, may I post here a music from Chilean group "Los Jaivas" composed for Chilean Poet Pablo Neruda's "Canto General". Though I do not share his political views, it cannot be denied that his poetry is full of power on a level // to Homer. Surelly he received inspiration from somewhere.

YouTube

Complete album:

YouTube

Lyrics and then free translation.

Sube a nacer conmigo hermano
dame la mano desde la profunda zona
de tu dolor diseminado.
no volverás del fondo de las rocas
no volverás del tiempo subterraneo
no volverá tu voz enfurecida
no volverán tus ojos taladrados
sube a nacer conmigo hermano.

mírame desde el fondo de la tierra
labrador, tejedor, pastor callado
domador de guanacos tutelares
albañil del andamio desafiado.
Aguador de las lagrimas andinas
joyero de los dedos machacados
agricultor temblando en la semilla
alfarero en tu greda derramado.
traed a la copa de esta nueva vida
vuestros viejos dolores enterrados.
sube a nacer conmigo hermano.

Mostradme vuestra sangre y vuestro surco
decidme: "...Aquí fui castigado!..."
porque la joya no brilló o la tierra
no entregó a tiempo la piedra o el grano.
Señaladme la piedra en que caisteis
y la madera en que os crucificaron
encendedme los viejos pedernales
las viejas laras, los látigos pegados
a través de los siglos en las yagas
y las hachas de brillo ensangrentado.
Yo vengo a hablar por vuestra boca muerta.

Contadme todo, cadena a cadena
eslabon a eslabon, paso a paso
afilad los cuchillos que guardasteis.
Ponedlos en mi pecho y en mi mano
como un rio de rayos amarillos
como un rio de tigres enterrados
y dejadme llorar
horas, dias, años
edades ciegas, siglos estelares.

Climb up to born with me, brother
give me your hand from the deep zone
of your disseminated pain.
You will not return from the background of rocks
you will not come back from underground time
your voice will not return enraged
They will not return your drilled eyes.

Climb up to born with me, brother.
look at me from the depths of the earth
tiller, weaver, silent shepherd
tamer of tutelary guanacos
mason of the challenged scaffold.
Water Bearer of the Andean Tears
jeweler of the crushed fingers
Farmer shaking in the seed
Potter in your spilled clay.
bring to the cup of this new life
your old sorrows buried.
Climb up to born with me, brother.

Show me your blood and your furrow
tell me: "... Here I was punished! ..."
because the jewel did not shine or the earth
did not deliver in time the stone or the grain.
Point out the stone in which you fell
and the wood in which they crucified you
light me the old flints
the old flanks, the whips stuck
through the centuries in sores
and axes of bloody shine.

I come to speak through your dead mouth.
Tell me everything, chain to chain
link to link, step by step
Sharpen the knives that you saved.
Put them on my chest and in my hand
like a river of yellow rays
like a river of buried tigers
and let me cry
hours, days, years
blind ages, stellar centuries.

Alternative.
Los Jaivas - Sube a nacer conmigo hermano lyrics + English translation

Rise to birth with me, my brother.
Give me your hand from the depths
of your spread pain.

You won't come back, from the depths of the rocks.
You won't come back, from subterranean time.
It won't come back, your enraged voice.
They won't come back, your drilled eyes.

Look at me from the depths of earth,
cottager, waver, silent pastor.
tamer of totemic guanacos,
mason of the daring platform,

water boy of the Andes' tears,
jeweler of the smashed fingers,
farmer trembling in the seed,
potter wasted in your clay.
Bring to the cup of this new life
your old buried pains.

Show me your blood and your furrow.
Tell me "Here I was punished..."
Because the jewel didn't shine
or the earth didn't deliver in time the stone or the grain.

Show me the rock where you felt
and the wood where you were crucified.
Light with the old flints
the ancient lamps, the whips stuck
in your wounds through centuries,
and the axes of bloody shine.
I came to speak through your dead mouth.

Tell me everything, chain by chain,
link by link, step by step.
Sharpen the knives that you kept.
Put them in my chest and in my hand
like a river of yellow rays,
like a river of buried tigers
and leave me to cry.
- Hours, days, years, -
blind ages, stellar centuries.

I forgot to mention that Peru's Minister of Culture, after aprouval of the filming and given that heavy intruments were to be loaded there, said: -"but please, do not ruin our ruins" :)

Last edited:
Max,
I find the spirit of this thread wrong and the designs a topological disaster. My answer to the question whether the amnesic feature is desirable in the first place is no.
By the way, how tiny can the combined Cob / reverse transfer capacitance of 2SC5200 / IRFP240 be?

That is clear to me. Lin/Blameless topology is not that bad.
What amazes me is that so few are willing to make a simple test.

I could not answer in a technical way your last question and I will not study further now because I am busy with urgent matters. :hbeat:

Cheers,
M.

Those capacitances are HUGE, so what's the point?
A memoryless transition means a transient change of state, it is like throwing shells into the Llanquihue Lake.
Consider the Hiraga circuit, your chances of coming up with something better based on dubious theories is in the close vicinity of zero.

Those capacitances are HUGE, so what's the point?
A memoryless transition means a transient change of state, it is like throwing shells into the Llanquihue Lake. Isn't it beautiful?
Consider the Hiraga circuit, your chances of coming up with something better based on dubious theories is in the close vicinity of zero.

I have not discarded the Hiraga at all. I talked before about chances of success... :D

The basic part of the Amnesis is the novel input and VAS configuration (thanks to Hephaïstos and Peufeu) and I consider the driver/output section still experimental, so it can be configured in many ways, from typical emitter follower to more complex, like simple or cascoded Darlington or cascoded Sziklai...etc. Maybe I am completely wrong and simple EF is better, who knows, but for that I need more listeners, should they want to invest time and effort experimenting.

IF they can be made stable, then the final personal decision is subjective. IF one can detect a difference in sound emission then what is the problem to choose the (subjectively) better sounding (real dynamics and relaxation factor) configuration?
Maybe someone can even invent and Hybrid with Valve output.

What do you think about:

a) The effect of transforming the basic input differential amplifier into a cascoded (bootstrapped) Sziklai?

b) Cascodying the common emitter VAS?

c) A cascoded common source/emitter output?
(very tricky)

Cheers,
M.

PS: I am trying to bring technical aspects for the technical mates to bite into, but remember, your model of reality is not reality, so we would not know until we try, and even then there may be things hidden from us...this is DIY not PIY meaning predict it yourself, that's why I'm doing even if guided by intuition. :D

a) The effect of transforming the basic input differential amplifier into a cascoded (bootstrapped) Sziklai?

The input transistor should be a JFET biased at a small Vds. The grounded base transistor is needed to carry out the voltage amplification.
What would be the purpose behind the Sziklai configuration here? Did Peufeu say that?
I eschew the long tailed pair, the Darlington pair as well as the emitter-follower.

b) Cascodying the common emitter VAS?

Pointless.

c) A cascoded common source/emitter output?

For what reason? The output stage should have low voltage gain obtained by FETs with a high channel (output) impedance, a small reverse transfer capacitance and preferably also a fairly low input impedance (SIT).

The input transistor should be a JFET biased at a small Vds. The grounded base transistor is needed to carry out the voltage amplification.
What would be the purpose behind the Sziklai configuration here? Did Peufeu say that?
I eschew the long tailed pair, the Darlington pair as well as the emitter-follower.

Thanks dear N101N. That helps. I have made a couple of inputs with combined JFET-->BJT Sziklai already and it works very well. I understand that JOSI1 also has tried it with success.

The idea is trying to achieve constant power (lowest memory) for input's (and VAS) critical active devices and Peufeu explains it here in his fourth part:

Memory Distortion Philosophies - Part 4 : Circuits

Well, we have to use a LTP, be it resistor or BJT based (modded Wilson) and make listening tests...

Cheers,
M.

A good amplifier can be built without any theoretical knowledge by making appropriate choices. You make poor choices. The tenet of constant power lacks substantiality.

A good lot of nonsense can be concatenated in something that looks like a serious posting.
But you have shown elsewhere that you can still do a lot better and funnier, so I’m a bit disappointed.

Hans

I agree. Critical thinking is advisable as standard attitude. Propounded ideas should not be accepted without argument. You could present your arguments here.
Which statement is disappointing you the most?

Guys, do not start a fruitless argument.

The progress of "science" starts when somebody asks: "What if?".
Hephaïstos asked "what IF" and then experimented and built. Based on the former, he managed to start his own company, which is still around BTW, however he is not... :(
He was gracious enough and shared his thoughts for us to try by ourselves and judge. These are simple mods to be performed in any Lin/Blameless to judge its worth in real life, real amps.

The pre-conception of worth based on artificial models is what has this World as bad as it is... :eek: :trash:

Best wishes,
M.

Last edited: