THAM15 - a compact 15" tapped horn

Not only is the driver's motor exposed, it's sitting in a location that should provide great cooling at Fb
Yes that makes sense. I think his assumption was that the cone would be loaded in an asymmetrical way. I could be misremembering or conflating what he actually said as the convo was a while ago. This particular speaker designer has presented to peers on power ratings before and I seem to recall something like that about certain horn loading configurations.

I have a Yamaha SP2060 DSP. I currently have highpass-filter at 40 hz (24 dB/oct BW). I have a 48 dB/oct crossover (LR) at 110 hz. In the attached image you can se the frequency response just a feet in front of the sub.
IMG_3871.png

I would say 35Hz hi pass 24db would give a bit more excursion, which can keep the driver cooler and allow a bit more bandwidth. The Yamaha processor seems only have one limiter per channel . I would of thought that a longer attack & release characteristic would provide adequate themal protection for the driver as long as clipping was avoided. Top range speaker processors have Peak (max power or clipping limit) - Thermal (longer atack & release characteristic), and excursion limiters operating only at lower frequencies.
In this case I think that voice coil overheating would be the primary failure mode!

1700089551220.png

Displacment seems a bit high at full power but is not allowing for any compression or other losses - Xmax is exceeded but I am not sure what Xmech is with your driver & only at this level with transient peaks if hard limiting or clipping is avoided. - The lower Hi-pass allows a more balanced excursion above & below the minimum.

Hello again! Seems to be lot’s of experts here :). I have another question. As I mentioned previous I use one Yamaha P7000S, bridged at 8 ohms per channel (2000w). I have read many posts at other forums not recommending using the P7000S for subs. I am not sure why… Would (for example) a single LAB 4000 be a better option even though it will only give 1300W per channel (specs)?

I would love to make a tham15 but tuned to 32-35hz if I can does anyone have any plans for a lower tuned tham15 probably going to be using a sundown audio SA v2 15 or a E v3 15 but im
More towards the SA only because I own a E v3 12 in a 6th order parallel band pass it does grate for inside the house on 750w but looking for something outside for movie nights and to take it to party’s and stuff would anyone have any screen shots of a tham15 but tuned lower 32-35hz cheers Ricky

I would love to make a tham15 but tuned to 32-35hz if I can does anyone have any plans for a lower tuned

The plan is available in the link below. There is a tutorial section in the website explaining how to use the model. to tune it lower them original design you just need to increase horn length, to do that you can increase baffle size and it will impact other dimensions automatically..

https://freeloudspeakerplan.rf.gd/pages/th-tham.htm

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think this is a good subwoofer for this type of enclosure

There is a potential, the FS is low and BL is high, Qts sens high, need to simulate to confirm, if needed you can also adjust the area to better fit the model to your driver, for instance, if drive cone is weak (paper) it may worth reducing compression ratio, etc. You can start simulation as it is and slowly people help you improving.

Reactions: 1 user