TGM10 - based on NAIM by Julian Vereker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I reverse engineered this pcb, from an original NPA 110.

Yes, indeed there is 68R resistor in the emitter circuit for the VAS current sink. I'll add that in.

Note that I leave out the SOAR protection circuit altogether.

Also, I have made a small modification to the Vbe multiplier circuit for proper tracking. The original Naim relied on ambient air temperature inside a closed box to thermally couple the Vbe multiplier [/I]to the driver of the Sziklair output pair at the -Ve rail. As designed, the Vbe multiplier is too sensitive for direct physical coupling to the output stage. My modification allows direct coupling at the appropriate level of sensitivity - I feel safer this way.

Some parts values on the photo don't match my schematic - will have to investigate further.

I was expecting a lot better from you Gareth ....You know that i am "following" you and obviously i read many of the things you post .
So NO i was never expecting from you to post such a mistake like the one above clearly marked in red ...
But let me explain ...
You used the word "relied" which means that someone made a study calculated tasks and options and that choice is the result ...
Big mistake Gareth ...
You need to replace "relied" with "they didn't had an idea" or "they never give a f u c k " or "they didn't bother"

That is the correct technical approach ( like most of their products sad to say often till today )
....shame on you Gareth ......
:D:p:D:p:D:D:p

Last edited:
As far as I know JV never claimed to be the creator of the basic circuit, since it is a simple application from the 70s. But he changed it in several significant details until the sound was up to his expectations. You may call that tweaking, but I call it ingenious!
I remember that somebody in the envious press "found out" that the basic Naim circuit was just an application from RCA. He then claimed loudly that the amp was crap, because of that.
What do we learn from that: (Audio-)journalists are just humble humans (or sometimes plain stupid) and the spirit always is in the details.
Ingenious and elegant. Very few parts. Very energy efficient. Very simple topology. Very hard for competitors to copy. An unsurpassed reputation for musicality (in some circles). A profitable business.

To achieve all that deserves some respect.

I think Krell took a bite out of Naim in the 80s for its superior soundstage and resolution of detail. A sort of sledgehammer to crack a nut by comparison. I'm not sure about the Linn amplifiers: I heard one at a show a while back and I wasn't impressed but I haven't heard the newest ones.

As I was saying, lab coats.

Contrast the old ways of R&D with the new ways...:cool:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 336
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 337
I hated Naim and the local importer when I was in the service and retail for British Hifi in Vienna way back in the 80s. Naim never supplied anything, very little pr material, no spares and completely no support. Even the customers who were already eager to buy had to wait for the stuff, like it would have been something illegal. The importer sat fat in front of his "sixpack" and just laughed. (He today makes some over-hyped and -priced turntables with a colorful name.) Those were the days.

But the amps were good. And nobody after the demos asked about "soundstage" or other hifi babble.

Nelson Pass said the same thing - the charging pulses need to be slow. Capacitors charge near the peak voltage which is a relatively small time period in an a.c. cycle. Fast rectifiers switch abruptly and charge in a shorter time. If the switching time base is reduced the height of the spike will be greater to deliver the same energy.

Fast diodes/rectifiers specifically turn OFF faster. It's the slow turn off of conventional rectifiers that creates the nasty twice mains spikes that can appear on the output of some amplifiers. I've seen them and I don't like them being there.
I believe there is some benefit in spreading the charging pulses. You can, of course use inductors and active circuitry. This also helps your system to go some way to meet mains power factor regulations if hey apply.

Naim was in the 80s completely ignored by the German Hifi press for example. Highly irritating for the customers which came to the shops and were pleased by the sound compared to some well respected devices. Those were the Flat Earth days here.
Naim of course did not have any interest in the ruinous marketing practices still common in most of the local press (for a good review you have to order ads for a year and give away the amps for free for the reviewer).

But sorry for beeing off topic. I also like sarcastic comments here, but to presume that these guys did give a damn for the details is simply not true. I have seen the jigs for selecting parts etc.

Let us please talk about the ground scheme here. It maybe a bit of black science but since Naim had always had a very different approach to others with some very good arguments. Some might have been purely commercial but some make lot of sense.

Let us please talk about the ground scheme here. It maybe a bit of black science but since Naim had always had a very different approach to others with some very good arguments. Some might have been purely commercial but some make lot of sense.

I didn't see anything strange about the ground scheme on the NAP110. The power ground was a star-earth, everything goes to it. The signal ground was not coupled to the power ground on the pcb of course. The one thing that interests me, and perhaps it is a ground thing and perhaps it is not, is their approach to cables and connectors. DIN.

Do you mean you don't give a S or you do give a S?
How did the Statements sound?

Well, I don't. (Please excuse my sometimes fragmented english)

The Statements did have a very good sound indeed, but the Naim demo (with the biggest FOCAL speakers) was a mighty official and intimidating issue. Everybody there was stunned, but there was no feet tapping, no goosbumps, no smiles. My old germanium transistor fm radio provides more musical pleasure. Well, at least to me.

I didn't see anything strange about the ground scheme on the NAP110. The power ground was a star-earth, everything goes to it. The signal ground was not coupled to the power ground on the pcb of course. The one thing that interests me, and perhaps it is a ground thing and perhaps it is not, is their approach to cables and connectors. DIN.

I am pretty sure that there is nothing strange with the grounding scheme. I guess we have to broaden the picture by looking at the systems in general. Here the Naim approach was pretty unique, and made perfect sense.
To be honest: Why on earth do we still use completely useless cinch plugs and cables? Maybe because signal and ground arrangements together with the right impedances were neglected by almost all manufacturers.
The classical DIN connectors (by Deltron, with silver plated brass contacts) proved a perfect one-point connection, every thing was low-mass (according to Naim).
I think that, with the right (low) impedance systems, cables are a neglectable issue: The "original" Naim cable to connect the NAP250 with the HiCap was - drumroll - a plain unscreened three wire mains cable!
Here the guys really did not care, because there was little to gain. Low impedance, low resistance, low mass, no problem.

(I begin to sound like a Naim guy, which I am not, I know that there is a lot other good stuff out there. )

Traditionally, we build amplifiers with high input impedances to avoid loading down the source. I agree there is a case for not having too high an impedance due to susceptibility to noise pick-up, there is maybe a counter-case for not having too low an impedance.

What about cable/connector terminations, little RC networks buried secretly at the cable ends. Dennis Morecroft swears by them.

Now there's a lovely piece of marketing if I did ever see one!

Of course, there's no current without voltage (except in a superconductor) but they are avoiding the question of voltage domain noise pick-up by having an end-receiver that responds only to the current flow. Let's hope that the current noise is super low (ground loops and magnetic fields anyone ?).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.