Test & Measurement interface for Soundcard

I took the time. There are still a couple of spikes. strange.

Attachments

• Audiotester loop back noise.JPG
    Audiotester loop back noise.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 549
This is more what I would expect. It seems that I can't do the calibration procedure unless I'm logged in as an administrator. This is TrueRTA. I paid for it to get the 1/24th octave resolution. The funny thing is that the Behringer is only rated for -98dB. I'm getting -110.

Attachments

• TrueRTA noise floor.JPG
    TrueRTA noise floor.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 491
This one also looks good:
Echo AudioFire4 Portable FireWire Audio Interface at AMS

114dB dynamic range or so.

Has anyone thought to make their own ADC/DAC? I mean, this IS DIY isn't it? It seems to me that unless I have an ADC/DAC with vanishingly low distortion, then all of my measurements will be off by what ever the ADC/DAC produces? Typical THD for these commercial devices seems to be around 0.002% or so for line level in/out.

I'm using a ProAudio M-192 with Audio-Tester.

I just finished shielding the interface with mu metal shield.

I'm wondering if electrostatic shielding in addition to magnetic shielding would help.

V-out from sound-card was 1.977V

Attachments

• PM Interface.JPG
    PM Interface.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 450
You have no harmonics of the mains frequency. This is unusually good, excellent even. From what I have seen posted the odd harmonics are very difficult to push below the noise floor.
There is a strong 60Hz component getting through. I think you need to try and trace how this is getting in.

It is being introduced in the interface as 60Hz is below -130dBfs in loop-back mode.

I found the problem. I was using a wall wort to power the interface. It's output was floating, so I grounded the neg side. Now it is better.

Attachments

• Soundcard loopbaack.JPG
    Soundcard loopbaack.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 439
  • PM Interface_w_GND.JPG
    PM Interface_w_GND.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Attachments

• KH4400A_PCM4222EVM.png
    KH4400A_PCM4222EVM.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 501
Got my pmillett box all put together. Here it is hooked up to Visual Analyzer. This is through an M-Audio Delta 1010. Right channel in Red with nothing plugged into the Delta 1010 input jack. Left channel in Green with pmillett box box in loopback using my oscilloscope probes and just hooking the ends together in a loopback fashion. I am getting 8v RMS out of GEN OUT. I can switch the outputs and inputs on the Delta 1010 to either +4 or -10 dB. You can see the 60 hz bump. I did put some copper shielding tape on the insides of the pmillett box. I will make a better loopback cable and see what that does. Will also play with possible electrical interference devices near by.

Attachments

• Millett_box.png
    Millett_box.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 511
Got my pmillett box all put together. Here it is hooked up to Visual Analyzer. This is through an M-Audio Delta 1010. Right channel in Red with nothing plugged into the Delta 1010 input jack. Left channel in Green with pmillett box box in loopback using my oscilloscope probes and just hooking the ends together in a loopback fashion. I am getting 8v RMS out of GEN OUT. I can switch the outputs and inputs on the Delta 1010 to either +4 or -10 dB. You can see the 60 hz bump. I did put some copper shielding tape on the insides of the pmillett box. I will make a better loopback cable and see what that does. Will also play with possible electrical interference devices near by.

You don't need loop back cables to test your new Sound Card Interface. Just push the "GenMon" button. Switch SW3 (GenMon) connects the Generator Output directly to the Sound Card Interface Input (and disconnects the external inputs).

Attachments

• Sound Card Interface Gernerator Monitor Out.jpg
    Sound Card Interface Gernerator Monitor Out.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 520
No change in the plot with everything shout off that I could (heat pump, refrigerators etc still on, but were not active when I ran the test).

If I turn off the output of the sound card and run the scan, the interference is worse. This makes me suspect it is coming from either the computer or the sound card.

It is being introduced in the interface as 60Hz is below -130dBfs in loop-back mode.

I found the problem. I was using a wall wort to power the interface. It's output was floating, so I grounded the neg side. Now it is better.

TheGimp So you are grounding the negative from your wall wort to the negative plane on Pete's board? I'm using a switching 5v wall wort but I have quite a 60 Hz bump too.

Yikes! OK here is image one powered via USB and image two powered by a switching wall wort (with a long cord from wall wort to millett box) Could it just be picking up that much 60 Hz because the cord is long and not shielded? USB power looks like the clear winner here

Attachments

• millett_usb.png
    millett_usb.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 491
  • millett_wall.png
    millett_wall.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 476