Test & Measurement interface for Soundcard

I would suspect the win7 (are you using 64-bit). I have an Echo Audiofire 2 with I used for years running XP without any problems. Because I changed jobs I had to return my laptop and buy a new pc. I came with win 7 64 bit. I have until now not been able to get good results (tried asio drivers, win7 drivers and a firmware update of the sound card...)

I am going to try the win 7 32-bit version, hopefully this is better.

Yes it's 64 bit version of Win7. Problem is that laptop is 3 years old . I managed to get an used M-Audio Audiophile 2496 very cheap on epay.
Now I need to get the expensive part: a new PC

Yes it's 64 bit version of Win7. Problem is that laptop is 3 years old . I managed to get an used M-Audio Audiophile 2496 very cheap on epay.
Now I need to get the expensive part: a new PC

A pc of 3-years old should be powerfull enough. The laptop I used before was almost 4 years old, and worked very good. If your lucky you can still find drivers for windows XP for this laptop. If you install XP on it, it will run super fast, and no more problems with sound cards...

If the Win7 32-bit doesn't do it, I am going to buy me on older laptop with win XP on Ebay...

Hi all,

i´m really interested in building petes soudcard interface and using audiotester
as software.
Unfortunately i´m using a MacBook (audiotester presumes Win-based PC);
secondly i´m using an asus netbook with WinXP.
Are there external soundcards ( usb ) you really can recommend for using the
interface together with audiotester?

I flew over all those pages and didn`t find a hint (forgive me when i`m blind).

Thanks in advance

Ulf

I think someone here posted some success with the external EMU1212, please check the thread, its only a couple of pages back from here. You may have a problem that your Window's machine is not powerful enough to run the FFT although AT seem to work well enough with XP, perhaps even better (faster) than Vista/Win 7.

Sorry, I do not know of any Mac software, nor if AudioTester will run directly on the latest Intel machines.

Andrew

Last edited:
I have had best results with Audiotester running in WinXP, but the sound card driver has a big effect on your success. I use M-Audio Profire 610, which is firewire. The latest drivers seem to be working pretty well.

I was hoping to dump my PC laptop, and strictly use my MBP with Boot Camp running Win7. Severe crashing and locks. I can't tell you if it's an issue with the FW driver supplied by Boot Camp or a Win7 issue, but I gave up relatively quickly and kept the old laptop. If you were going to try Boot Camp, I would guess you will have best success with a USB card.

A pc of 3-years old should be powerfull enough. The laptop I used before was almost 4 years old, and worked very good. If your lucky you can still find drivers for windows XP for this laptop. If you install XP on it, it will run super fast, and no more problems with sound cards...

If the Win7 32-bit doesn't do it, I am going to buy me on older laptop with win XP on Ebay...

Unfortunately, win 7 32 bit did not do the trick. I still get firewire buffer underruns, which results in a bad measurement. I tried to optimize win 7 for performance (looks like windows 2000 then), and using all sorts of drivers for firewire (including legacy ones) and echo audio (including a beta version of driver 5.6), but did not have any luck so far.

Did anyone here have any succes with the EMU 1212 pcie card on windows 7. This looks like an excellent card.

Managed to change my old laptop for a proper PC: i5 @ 3.3GHz and 8GB RAM. Although WinXP only supports 3GB, it's really slick with the bare minimum installed to ensure Audiotester runs properly. Also got an Audiophile 2496 used from e-bay which works fine.

Attached are a couple of tests: loopback, internal test signal of 1kHz and the frequency response of a 26 DHT stage loaded with a CCS in a breadboard.

Oscillator distortion of 0.0016% is fantastic for what I need!

I found some interesting artefacts at 450Hz and 25KHz which may be the noise from the power supply as the PCI board is close to it perhaps. Tried disconnecting everything else in my workbench but they don't dissapear. Nevertheless, they are below 90dB so it's great anyway.

Cheers,
Ale

Attachments

• 1kHz loopback test.jpg
    1kHz loopback test.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 544
  • loopback test.jpg
    loopback test.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 537
  • 26 ccs loaded freq response.jpg
    26 ccs loaded freq response.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 529
Unfortunately, win 7 32 bit did not do the trick. I still get firewire buffer underruns, which results in a bad measurement. I tried to optimize win 7 for performance (looks like windows 2000 then), and using all sorts of drivers for firewire (including legacy ones) and echo audio (including a beta version of driver 5.6), but did not have any luck so far.

Did anyone here have any succes with the EMU 1212 pcie card on windows 7. This looks like an excellent card.

I bought the EMU 1212 pcie and have excellent results with it (still running Win 7 pro 32 bit )... Only remark so far is the sound card control panel is a bit hard to figure out (you really have to read the manual..)

Attachments

• spectrum.png
    spectrum.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 760
_Wm_: You dropped the Echo / FireWire (card? box?) ...

Wondering if you saved any of the old graphics for comparison?

The EMU 1212 "long averaging" graph looks awesome ... switching power supply noise from the PC looks to be totally under control :D

Did you do any tricky stuff that we should know about?

Last edited:
Hello FastEddy,

No tricks are involved, this card is used as delivered from EMU. Loopback measurement is done with balanced interconnects (standard cable of 3euro a piece, nothing special). PC used is a Vostro 460 from dell (completely original), no changes to the power supply.

I do not have a compete ARTA chart for the Echo Firewire 2 card (only one from 1 to 20Khz, and level is 12db lower), but I did find one taken with the RMAA software.
The echo card performed also fantastically, the only reason I changed was because of the glitches I got with it when I switched to Windows 7.

Attachments

• thd.png
    thd.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 607
  • averages performace 88khz 24 bit CPU full power.jpg
    averages performace 88khz 24 bit CPU full power.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 614
_Wim_ ... Thanks ... Both look good, but I now understand the reasons for your change. (I have a closet full of perfectly good audio parts myself.)

That must be a very big closet if I look at my attic... :)

For what is worth, I even liked the Echo card more because it had a very good headphone amp, which I could use for impedance measurements directly (with 100 ohm series resistor)

I briefly considered buying the EME 1616m, but I found it too expensive for my use (only advantage for me is the headphone amp). I would still highly recommend the Echo card to anyone who is lucky enough to still be running XP