Test CD for CD player adjustment

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think the LA6510 is an opamp.

When I looked at the data sheet I had pins 33 and 31 as focus related and 10 ? and 5 as tracking.

Don't be scared of trying any adjustments as long as you can set them back where they were. Mark the presets with a dab of ink on the white and blue parts so you can line them up exactly if needed. Do one at a time and make a note of what each is.

I've told you what to expect for each function :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sled position at disc start is difficult because there is nothing to measure physically. Make sure any microswitches are undamaged and the "leaves" straight and not bent.

I think it's OK see pic

I would look to fixing the skipping first because that may well be connected to the not reading TOC and should be easier to fix.

Do the sled check first and then repeat it using the same CD (use a long disc) and keep a note of where in the disc the problem occurs.

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 246
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's not that sort of fault really. That won't tell you anything.

From what you say (looking back to the start), the not reading TOC could be mechanical. The pickup has to be in the correct position and if it's out a little bit then that can cause issues. It usually depends on the physical position of a limit switch to tell the servo when its at the end.
Also the spindle motor (platter motor) could be temperamental. Unofficial fixes are disconnecting the spindle motor and applying 9 volts for a few seconds to spin and clean up the commutator.

And skipping through a track could be sled related. Does it skip at the same point on the disc if its left to play ?

You must do the test of measuring DC volts across the motor when playing to make sure the sled isn't sticking. If the voltage is around 0.2 volts say (and it is low normally) and then it suddenly goes 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 and so on and then jumps and the voltage falls back to normal that is because the sled was sticking.

I have two motors: spindle motor & laser picup motor, wich one?

All these have to be confirmed before going to deep looking for an electronic issue.

A lot of things have to come together and work correctly in a CD player and all must be checked.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The microswitch looks OK. It probably has a plastic spiggot to locate it. You can always come back to this area but concentrate on getting it to play a disc through perfectly first.

Its the sled motor (the motor that drives the gears) that you measure the voltage across. I would solder two wires so that you can connect the DVM up and then sit back and watch as it plays through a disc.

If there is old grease (hardened or dirty) on the sled or gears then I would always strip down and a clean and relubricate.

You won't have this but I always use a special plastics grease that is for plastic/metal surfaces in any combination.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How do you say "spiggot"?

I don't see any old grease on the sled or gears see pics.

I have silicon based oil, can I use it?

Laser pickup is new max. have surely 200 or 300 hours.

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00054.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 197
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Changing setting in pot p104 don't change nothing in the eye pattern.

Changing setting in pot p107 don't change nothing in the eye pattern.

Changing setting in pot p105 change the eye pattern to an straight line in the scope but can adjust for a better one eye pattern.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Changing setting in pot p101 can change the eye pattern attached two pics one with adjust for best eye pattern that I left, other pic shows a straight line with wrong setting doing the player finish to play and CD transport display showo 0 track , 0 min and 0 sec that's with setting in a max direction, the other pic shows setting max in the opposite direction (not focused eye pattern).

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 214
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Has altering the presets P101 and P105 improved on the quality of the eye pattern compared to what it was before ?

Silicon oils and grease are safe as long as viscosity is OK so silicon oil is good for the sled runners.

Spigot... a locating peg :)