Test CD for CD player adjustment

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Not really following you :)

The spindle motor (the platter) will only turn after the laser has found focus. In post #182 it was playing music so spindle motor must have been running. The sled motor drives the pickup assembly and should turn slowly when playing or rapidly when jumping tracks.

I'd have to re-read it all as its going back a couple of months and I'm short on time at the moment.

Is it not playing and not spinning the disc now ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My God the sled moves as if it was reading the CD until near the outside CD then stops, then I open & close the window & the laser goes to the center like to do the TOC but spindle never turns & again do the same.

Attachments

• DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 243
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like something has happened to the player...

The sequence of events is,

1. Make sure the sled is in the rest position near the centre of the disc. If you move the sled manually away from the centre and open and close the tray or power off and on then the sled should always return to the rest position.

2. The lens should perform the focus search routine moving up and down 3 or 4 times.

The spindle motor nevers spins until focus is found on a disc. If there is no disc the motor doesn't spin. If the laser is faulty or it can not focus for whatever reason then again the motor does not spin.

When the motor does run the voltage will be DC (assuming a normal type motor and not a hall effect type) and the voltage probably only a few hundred millivolts.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They seem OK.

Next checks would be to jump in and check on a scope to see if the servo IC (assuming you can get at this point) is outputing a focus search "ramp" waveform and to see if that reaches the drive IC. Don't overlook possibility of connection problems to the pickup such as a damaged foil etc.

If that shows nothing then I would look at all the pins on the system control IC with a scope and make sure all are as expected. Make sure any inputs from mechanical switches are reaching the IC.