TABAQ TL for Tangband

No Metronome then?

GM

Decided it's probably not best for my listening space and taller than I'd like.

Its hard not to just go all out and buy enough wood to try out each enclosure, but my wallet would hate me. Lol.

When you say large TABAQ, is that a set design? What kind of dimensions?

Am I right in thinking the TABAQ and Pensil are very similar?

Thanks for the help GM.

I ran a sim in LA for the Mark Audio Alpair 7P.

The original 10x12.8cm cross section seemed to roll off the bottom end. Increasing that to 12x15cm (180cm2) props up the bass. I increased the port to 12x2cm for 24cm2 and 9.7cm length. Port can be slightly longer.... Though I stopped at 10cm.

J.

FWIW, some of the nicest looking finished speakers I was involved with were covered with higher end wallpaper/coverings and one pair was a marbleized painting that was so real looking she got a contract doing it to a storefront at a once prominent Mall nearby.

GM

Did you see my onyx TABAQs? ;)

I already found my next stone for my next project. It's called "Blue Barracuda" !!
It's a granite from Brazil, and it looks amazing when polished.

I'm having so much fun!

blue-barracuda-granite-p49514-1b.jpg

If I understand Jerms, the internal dimensions are: height remains the same at 80.8 cm. The width is wider at 12cm and the depth at 15 cm. The width of the new port is 12 cm with height of 2 cm and depth of 9.7 to 10 cm. Thanks. And this is for the paper alpair 7. Stuffing is 80 to 100 gm of fill.

Another possible build for me but with 3/4 inch birch plywood instead of 1/2 ply.

I have to see how I like my Tabaq with tang band w4 first. I will try the w4 1320 and the w4 2142 as I already have both drivers. I should go and hook up my tabaq first instead of finishing the outer surface and then install drivers.

Thanks.

Did you see my onyx TABAQs? ;)

I already found my next stone for my next project. It's called "Blue Barracuda" !!
It's a granite from Brazil, and it looks amazing when polished.

Don't recall, but this new one looks a stunner! Growing up in a state that mines marble, slate, granite for all manner of apps, I guess I could be called a 'stoner' ;).

GM

Last edited:
Anyone knows which sounds better gold alpair or paper alpair? Any other mark audio 7 that sounds good?

From what I've read the 7P is more revealing/less forgiving of the source material, that's the biggest difference I've read of.

Once I finish my build with the 7P I can compare them to the Pluvia Seven, but I do not own any 7.3s. My alpair 7ps are also eNabled by Planet-10, so my impressions will be different than someone with stock alpair 7P.

Tabaq Extended

Hi,

I have finaly finished my "Tabat Extended" a redesign from the original Tabaq by Pavel (see post #1651) with a feet filled with sand.
The driver is the 3" Peerless P830987
The woodwork and the paintwork arent perfect but I am happy with the result.

At the moment I am testing (and enjoying) them with an old Sony reciever (no BSC).
I am doing some research on buying a small amp kit from Ebay or building a setup based on a Raspberry pi with a DAC/Amp combi board.

Kind regards

Harry

Attachments

• Tabaq Extended_Schema.png
    Tabaq Extended_Schema.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 830
  • Tabaq_Extended.JPG
    Tabaq_Extended.JPG
    771 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
I decided not to spray a sealant coat so I assembled my TABAQ. I was planning to use the Tang Band W4 1320 SIF, but one of the Tang Band W4 1320 SIF drivers had a broken bolt on the part holding the connectors so I installed the Tang Band W4 2142 instead. It sounds harsh as expected and will need a lot of breaking in before the speakers open up. The bass is adequate and the treble seems okay although the positioning of the speakers is not optimal for now.

My TABAQ is finished with dark bronze hammered paint to hide the poor quality woodwork. As long as it works, I will live with poor painting and poor woodworking.

I will report more when the speakers have broken in.

My TABAQs with the tang Band 2142 is breaking in nicely and they sound nice nice with clear mids and surprisingly clear treble. The 2142 seems to produce clearer treble and reaches higher than the 2141 (my pair of TB 2141 are in the Denova .04 cu ft with .75 inch x 5.5 inch port). I recently added baffle step to my 2141 build but have not yet added any baffle step to my TABAQ.

On a side note, how does the TABAQ work? The quarter wave of a 55 hz tone is about 60 inches while the Tabaq is approximately 31 inches high. The port tuning is about 55 Hz. Is the TABAQ height tuned to 110 Hz and the port tuning allows the speakers to play down to 55Hz?