TABAQ TL for Tangband

Sorry to revive old talk about various drivers. PS95 driver was mentioned in the thread. But there are not many if any finished Tabaq projects with it. Is there someone?

For my taste - it is a nice driver, I was choosing between it, FRS8, 3FE25, TC9, RS100 and some others. It was split decision between PS95 and 3FE25, and chose because it looks better and has a bit more CNC friendly dimensions. The sound was different, but nice from both of them with different strengths. On the other hand, I did not liked TC9 much - it sounds somehow dark and even cheap to me, even if it is very praised here in forums.

Last edited:
nas3000,

Here you go with a post for a RS100 build:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/88787-tabaq-tl-tang-band-215.html#post5416494

Suggesting this one since you did not like the TC9 that much - it is likely with the MA driver you will get more treble and also more low frequency output.

Thanks for reply!

I have built Tabaq also with RS100 (non P) - this one differs totally from PS95. RS100 has more bass, goes deeper, lower and from the first impression is better suited for Tabaq size MLTL, but is it subjective or objective, I can hear that annoying metal cone ringing/sibilance at some higher frequencies, smth like 5kHz and up. It is so harsh on the ears on some tracks, that it is totally unlistenable. Even eq does not help. I have not heard RS100P version.

The question is specifically about PS95 - did someone else enjoy it in Tabaq or is it just my personal taste?

They came out beautiful irishpatrick - despite some mishaps. I like the rounded corners and the rebates for the drivers are perfect. CNC I assume, or some excellent router skills. Hope you enjoy them more after the drivers have loosed their muscles a bit. Are you using a BSC?

I am not. The speakers are right up against the wall, so I thought I could get away without it.

Initially, I did not toe the speakers either. Toeing made a significant difference.

Kudos for implementation. Ascetic but very very solid and professional. Is this 3fe25 or 3fe22? If you run some test tone from 20Hz to 20kHz when there is "some" bass and when there is "solid" bass? Are they suitable for 60-65Hz?

These are the 3FE22. I don't have a microphone or software to do testing, unfortunately. It feels pretty flat to my ears when the speakers are against the wall. The bass is fine for me (and my neighbors), but I'm sure there are some who would want a woofer.

After testing, I have decided that I like the sound better with BSC even though my speakers are right up against the wall currently. There is a tangible difference and not occurring in ways that I expected. For instance, I think it brought focus back to midrange.

Any suggestions on physically implementing BSC? I wonder whether wood glue would be wise (no hot glue on hand). The rest of my speakers components are serviceable, and gluing the inductor to the inside of the cabinet would not allow for repair or replacement.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I have my BSC inside the box, attached to the speaker binding posts. I drew a hole in it, used a long screw (M4 x 50 or so) and used lockers and washers to secure the BSC choke. Fairly easy to service and tune but once you are happy with the values no need to touch it anymore. Sadly didn't take pics before moving the speakers to my son's appartment.

Any suggestions on physically implementing BSC? I wonder whether wood glue would be wise (no hot glue on hand).

You can get a little hot glue gun at a Michael's or similar craft store for something like seven or eight bucks. I spent about twenty years intending to pick one up at some point, and when I finally did, I felt like an idiot for waiting twenty years.:eek:

Finally finished veneering one of the speakers. Had a good learning experience. Thanks Bjorn for sharing your design with the community! I might leave the other side as-is so that i can call them Beauty and the Beast. ;-) 20200809_144631.jpg 20200809_144725.jpg

After building a 3 inch Tabaq with very satisfying results,
I´m planning a Tabaq Large with W5-2106 that has a somewhat lower Sd
88 vs 94 for the W5-1611. Am I on right track if I lower the internal area
to the 2106s Sd? The port seems to become a little smaller as well.
I guess the length of the pipe remains the same.
Is the port length still 12,7cm?

Greatings
Per

I have plenty of speakers, so I'm looking for a build with what I have on hand. I have a pair of Nano Neos I thought I might put into a TABAQ. The woofer, ND 105-8, is a 4" driver. Any ideas if I'm wasting my time or are there any adjustments I'd need to make?
Thanks,
Mike

One other question, which post shows the TABAQ for a 4" driver? There are a lot, but I'm not sure which one is the right one. Thanks!

Dayton Audio ND105-8 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Neo Driver 8 Ohm

on Sale - $55/pr (drivers & XO) -

Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Last edited: