SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

When looking at the pdf posted, is there a reason the drawing isn't symmetrical?

Attachments

• st.PNG
    st.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,041
Couldn't find any 3D files so I modelled my own.

Horn is 90 x 50 Deg and the CD mount is about 30 mm deep, thinnest I could get it.

Would this be able to work?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Couldn't find any 3D files so I modelled my own.

Horn is 90 x 50 Deg and the CD mount is about 30 mm deep, thinnest I could get it.

Would this be able to work?
2wice,

Your design will "work", but is different from the original SynTripP design, which uses a 1/2 inch compression driver mounting plate/round to rectangular transition, and a 90 x 40 horn (86 x 38 degrees actual). Changing the horn angle to 50 degrees would shorten it and increase the internal volume slightly, which will lower the tuning (Fb) slightly if the port length and size remain the same.

Art

When looking at the pdf posted, is there a reason the drawing isn't symmetrical?

Yes sorry! I fixed that in a later version.

Will send it through.

I have also been working on a rounded angle and length version. (to a degree and mm)

I do want to redo the model to use precise 45 degree and 20 degrees on the horn. I expect the change will be less than 1 percent different to the spec, but much easier to construct.

It makes it easier to think about when setting machines up, and easier to find bits if it were to be CNC routed (bar the compound angles on the sides)

The Sketchup and Solidworks plans are available too if anyone want to review and tweak them.

Not submitted to Art yet as they are a bit ugly still, and I didnt want crappy versions out in the world.

Last edited:
Awesome work 2wice. I building a CNC machine. It's in the parts ordering process ATM. But got the motors and controller hardware. I wanted to do the syn as a starter project for it but and learn some cad on the way.

Another question, is it possible to use a 12" driver with extended midrange, like the eminence 12 pro. Thus using no smaller mid drivers.

I've got a interior volume excluding the 10" Drivers of 45.5 L.

Does this sound about right?
2wice,

45.5L is not the rear volume of the SynTripP.
The later simulations after my post #98 in the Tripp10 (for triple 10" drivers, the SynTripP uses only two) thread use 31L as the VRC, and a 75Hz Fb, which was raised to 82 Hz in the actual SynTripP design as built.

31L may be a bit more rear chamber volume than the actual SynTripP cabinet contains, the conical expansion ports are larger than the initial sims.

Art

Last edited: