SynTripP: 2-way 2-part Virtual Single Point Source Horn

I threw something together and went for a ride last night :) It was my first time hearing the synergy outside

Amazing, clean sound.

Sub sounds massive.

Time for another EQ day (I did the first one indoors in a 50x50ftx14' room). Still sounded great without having time to EQ before the ride

I am calling it the monolith for now. The whole system runs on 12v

Attachments

• 20160604_193756.jpg
    20160604_193756.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 20160604_193807.jpg
    20160604_193807.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 20160605_010202.jpg
    20160605_010202.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 20160605_032951.jpg
    20160605_032951.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 1,151
Last edited:
I forget what gauge it is, 2 maybe?

the wiring wasn't done when i took that photo, but yes there is more of that orange stuff going down to the battery.

There is a generator in the lower compartment of the bike that charges both the bike which has electric assist (36v) and trailer (12v) with separate chargers. The bike also has its own sound system, with two FE126EN's in low tuned vented boxes powered by a tripath amp. They sound great on their own, but will be excellent as DJ monitors

The bike was originally designed as a desert-crawler, but it has turned out to be road-worthy as well.

Very loud, incredibly clear, and decent sound stage. I think having stereo will complete the picture sonically, but as a mono unit it is still fantastic. People were tripping out in front of it just like I was a few short weeks ago, listening to known songs as if they were hearing "all this new stuff".

It is my ideal payoff to know that my friends appreciate me and the things I am doing. The sound of the synergy is awe inspiring, it is an instant hit.

I wish the minidsp had wireless control via mobile.. Switching genres really makes a difference when one likes to have bass at +6db for edm. I have no way to adjust on the fly without being behind the scene

Hi,
My band is looking for small mid / top cab for use in smaller clubs. Question is how many cab we will need and is it possible to stack these vertically. Is there anyone who can give me some advice?
Nor,

A pair of SynTripP as designed with subs has more than adequate SPL (around 130 dB one meter peak SPL per cabinet) for small clubs with or without the extension horns. The 90 x 40 degree design is designed for pole mounting, flat stacked without vertical splaying there will be some high frequency comb filtering. That said, the same is true for any design not splayed to the specific HF dispersion angle, which has not stopped anybody needing more SPL from stacking.

Art

Hi,
My band is looking for small mid / top cab for use in smaller clubs. Question is how many cab we will need and is it possible to stack these vertically. Is there anyone who can give me some advice?

We used TWO for mains in a medium size venue with 500 people in attendance. Two are more than adequate...I think we were running them about 1/4 power, and getting 110db up the front. You had to shout to be heard. Very crisp and clean.

Be aware you will need to fill in the bass...these are flat response speakers, and to get a "BIG" sound you will need a fair amount of subs giving you some 10db more volume in the bass over the mid-highs. Two of Arts Keystone subs per side would be a good match.

Subs were a line array of SIX XOC1 TH18 tapped horns across the floor. (B&C 18SW15) Subs were running at about ~100 watts each rms, and the bass was pretty epic. Smooth and clean also.

Attachments

• Syntripps.jpg
    Syntripps.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited:
Nor,

With the cost of DSP and amps so low, developing a passive crossover for the SynTripP dropped off my "to do" list about a year ago.

Art

Buying quality parts that will operate at a decent power level and provide you with the proper crossover slopes will most likely cost you more than a good amp with DSP in the first place.

Hi all, I'm considering building a pair of SynTripP horns, and in the spirit of Art's first post here, I want to make sure I'm not making a whole lot of sawdust when I could be buying something for not much more money. Which of the 10 design principals of the SynTripP are not met by the Danley SM96? Obviously it's 90x60 instead of 90x40, a little heavier, and I imagine since the horn mouth is smaller it isn't quite as directional, but is that it? Or are there other design compromises that the SM96 design makes?

Thanks! It's an inspiration to see a community like this taking DIY speaker design to the next level.

Hi all, I'm considering building a pair of SynTripP horns, and in the spirit of Art's first post here, I want to make sure I'm not making a whole lot of sawdust when I could be buying something for not much more money. Which of the 10 design principals of the SynTripP are not met by the Danley SM96? Obviously it's 90x60 instead of 90x40, a little heavier, and I imagine since the horn mouth is smaller it isn't quite as directional, but is that it? Or are there other design compromises that the SM96 design makes?

Thanks! It's an inspiration to see a community like this taking DIY speaker design to the next level.
NTD,

By "a little heavier", you mean twice as heavy- I would have difficulty lifting the 73 pound SM96 cabinet over my head onto a pole.
And yes, the much smaller horn means it looses pattern control about an octave higher, and the wider 60 degree vertical pattern spills more energy into areas where coverage is not typically needed.
The smaller bass drivers (and lower frequency extension) requiring over twice the power (4 dB less sensitive) so it has less LF output potential.
The smaller HF diaphragm has less HF output potential.
Although the SM96 has a pole mount, the angle is not adjustable as is the SynTripP.

Other than those differences, the SM96 looks to be a good choice for strong individuals that don't need the extra pattern control and output the SynTripP has.

Art

I spent last weekend making a display board for a local civic group I belong to and still have the sweet smell of sawdust in my nostrils and it has really peaked my interest in trying to finally go after this cabinet. Jenny's awesome pics and mad skills helped alot too!

I reached out to DIYsoundgroup about offering interior panel templates, phase plugs, and throat adapters and will post my results when I receive them. I gotta ask what are your thoughts on this CD Art? Denovo Audio BA-750 DIY Sound Group $360 for the Celestion is out of my reach but I realize I be paying premium for a CD with a lower XO point.

I gotta ask what are your thoughts on this CD Art? Denovo Audio BA-750 DIY Sound Group $360 for the Celestion is out of my reach but I realize I be paying premium for a CD with a lower XO point.
Sam,

A 2" diaphragm 1" exit driver won't keep up with the 10" drivers at the acoustical crossover point.

For slightly more money (about $200 per driver) you could go with the Eminence N314T-8 and get a 3" titanium diaphragm 1.4" exit driver.

Art