Synergy DIY

Great project !!!

Are you hoping to leave them boxless?
Where do you cross to the CD?
Also curious if you will maybe use a sub(s)?

I've been very interested in the k-402 as a synergy horn, largely because of Chris A's build and other happy k-402 campers in general. Seems like a great horn.
I was going to copy a k-402 clone made into a synergy as posted by Oohms on the Klipsch forums, but I got ambitious and decided to go for an even bigger horn.
Just beginning to ring out a pair that measure 122x74 cm at the mouth,
straight conical first 2/3, then quasi-tractrix last 1/3.

It's crazy the number of small details that go into a synergy, huh?

Very very very interesting! :king:

I decided to make a cabinet for the center (as I figured a cabinet would make up for the gain the left and right had by being in corners, and I was right...we will see how much better they get when they are completely tuned.), and I like the way it turned out so... I will be building a cabinet for the left and right channels too. I am currently waiting to get my amp built, and then I will have Chris A.. tune them for me. Right now I am using a partial tune that was done with them as a open back version. Even the way they are now sounds even better than the open back version did, and it sounded pretty good. I hope to have the amp done early next month followed by 2 more cabinets by the end of August.

Several updates not seen in the pics...

35 degree chamfer on the ports for the woofer size...which gives the angle about 1/8" from the horn to the face of thewoofer side of the pads. I will see if I can dig up a pic of this to make it clearer.

I lined the entire inside of the cabinet with 2 layers of 80 mil of Noiko mat, and then a layer or 150 mil Noiko Red closed cell deadening foam. I used 36sqft of the 80mil to get 2 layers, and then did 1 layer of the 150mil. I am also using the 150mil to seal the removable rear of the cabinet.

I am using a single Speakon 4 connector for the speaker connection, and hockey pucks with felt bottoms for the feet.

View attachment 862018 View attachment 862020 View attachment 862019

Attachments

• 20200713_094605.jpg
    20200713_094605.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 20200709_194637_copy_1024x1820.jpg
    20200709_194637_copy_1024x1820.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 20200713_094643.jpg
    20200713_094643.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
The centet channel cabinet arrived today. I will start the assembly Monday, and when my casters arrive for my rack, I will arrange the rack for the center channel. Once this is done I will be starting on a square version for my surrounds. Pics of the center are on it's side...the speaker will be installed laying down compared to my first 2 (just like most others install it.) View attachment 893681 20201115_172735.jpg 20201115_172707.jpg 20201115_172716.jpg

I have the front 3 channels up and running now. I am now starting on a smaller pair which are being modeled off of the short side of tne k402. I am using bendable plywood and mdf. This pair will be 2' x2'. I never would have even started this build if it had not been for Cnris on the Klipsch forums. His work on the design and help has allowed me to get a speaker that I could make and sound better than I could buy. Hopefully the smaller version will sound as good, as it will be less expensive and smaller.

Everyone on this forum has been so helpful, and I want to thank everyone for there help as even though I went with the k402 The Synergy style is still what I ended up with and I might never have completed the journey without everyones help.

So far I have the bendable plywood held in place on a spare horn with bendable plywood taped to it. I've calculatedthe angles for the mdf and hope to start cutting the first side soon. I am staggering the woofer mounts (which will be a pert of the horn sides) so I could go with 4 woofers if I want. By going this way I think it will make the horn also race the cabinet.

Last edited:
It has been a long time, but I have 2 clamp molds made, and a bunch of 1/4" MDF being kerfed for the horn and also for the cabinets. plans have changed a little asI will also be making one wood full size k402 in addition to the mini version which will be a 60x60 synergy horn. in addition I am switching over to the Celestion FTR15-3070E as it digs deeper for the bass and it sounds much cleaner for the mids than the Kappa 15Cs do. I also am looking at getting the big boy Celestion AXi2050 drivers for my front 3 channels. I hope to have some prototypes completed sometime this month.