• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fetzilla pcb Group Buy Update

Steve, Kannan, updated and now at 64 boards!!

2+P JoMo Adelaide SA Australia
2+P Ian Finch Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
2+P Gennaji Hyderabad India
2 Ken Lewis LA USA
2 Ron Russell Kent UK
2+P John Kenny Dublin Ireland
2+P Francis Morrin Dublin Ireland
2+P Vitalica Bucharest Romania
2+P Erik Deinum Groningen Netherlands
2+P Keith Correa ? India
2 Igor Polyakov California (city?) USA
2 Steve (aka SRH) Whangarei New Zealand
2+P George (aka JKC) Calgary Canada
2+P Anthony Mills Gold Coast Australia
2+P Dinesh (aka Chlorofille) Christchurch New Zealand
2+P Colin S. (?) (city?) NSW Australia
2 Chris Powell Sydney Australia
2+P Danny (?) Lierde Belgium
2 Sonnya (?) City (?) Denmark
4+P Jozua Cape Town South Africa
2 JT (? aka Sandyhooker) City (?) Arizona USA
2+P Nicola City (?) Vincenza Italy
2+P Sparkey (Brian ?) Melbourne Australia
2+P Chalkandtalk (?) City (?) NW England UK
4+P Woody1911a1 (?) Marblehead , MA USA
4+P George Cherhit Sacramento CA USA
2+P Tore Martensson Malmoe Sweden
2+P Steve Harrison Rock Springs WY USA
2 Kannan_S Austin TX USA

I believe we now have a schematic over on the SS forum, check it out..... this is very slightly different to my schematic, which I will post in a couple of days, but the topology is identical.

Cheers,

Hugh

Attachments

• FetzillaGP1.jpg
    FetzillaGP1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Folks,

Getting very close now, Greg has been sonic testing most of the day. Here is an amended pcb graphic complete with overlay, and a new parts list with correct designations for the pcb (but not yet for the schematic, this will arrive later this week).

Cheers,

Hugh

Attachments

• FETzillapartslist.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 106
  • FetzillaPCB.gif
    FetzillaPCB.gif
    49.1 KB · Views: 638
  • FetzillaPCBovl.gif
    FetzillaPCBovl.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 614
Well, out of curiosity, I just happened to do a little Google search to find sources for the Exicon Mosfets in this project. And well at least they showed up at Profusion in UK, but nowhere else in 10 pages of google. Perhaps I should have gone thru 100 pages to find some obscure outlet. And when I went to add a few into the shopping cart on the Profusion page, it wouldn't let me.

So, where are these parts going to appear from?

Oh, I forgot, they are available from Altronics - Your One Stop Audio Visual & Electronics Supplier for $18 ea.

Nice check, Steve, thanks for taking the trouble. I asked this question of Jon Pippard just yesterday.....

The amp can also use the 2SK1058/2SJ162 Hitachi and Renesas devices; they are the same spec as the Exicon, and I suspect hold better tolerances anyway.

I would certainly not buy from Altronics at that price, wow!!

Hugh

I would not recommend these, John, as I know something of their lineage and I know that the others mentioned (Profusion, Hitachi, Renesas) are better devices.....

A colleague knows the owner of that company in Notts, he's my source.

Double die requires more gate drive. We have not tried it, but there would be little point unless the rails were raised to exploit the large dies, and that would require a bit more work on the design. This amplifier will do 50W, and most people find this sufficient in a domestic situation with moderately efficient speakers. I would tend to go for the smaller, single die devices, as their heat production is smaller and thus thermal densities are lower when using a convection cooled heatsink.

Hugh

Last edited:
Hi Hugh,

It seems that the part names and values are not corresponding to the schematic in post #163. My guess is that they are corresponding to the final schematic you're going to post.

My another question is the value of C2, is it 220nf silver mica? since it's very difficult to find such a value of silver mica

Thanks,

Hi NCC,

Yes, there is always some fine tuning of the final parts list because these things are not always coordinated. Greg is the schemat man, I am the layout and parts list man. The designations are not perfectly aligned at this stage.

You can use a ceramic 220pF, or a film cap of some sort, but it has to be a small device with 5mm pin spacing.

Thank you for your interest, you are on the list which I will publish again later today.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

It seems that the part names and values are not corresponding to the schematic in post #163. My guess is that they are corresponding to the final schematic you're going to post.

My another question is the value of C2, is it 220nf silver mica? since it's very difficult to find such a value of silver mica

Thanks,

Hello

Wen I can't find silver mica cap, I use NPO type ceramic cap, they are better than standard type ceramic cap.

Bye

Gaetan

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Gents..If there is no objection I will send the part list to Parts ConneXtion so that we can explore the possibility of getting a package deal for all the pcb parts. With 60+ potential customers they might be interested...
That's a considerate suggestion but you may be stunned at the freight costs worldwide, for that sort of deal. Quite a lot of us, particularly the pros. and old hands, will already have a lot of the parts in stock or cheaply available locally. Many, even here, buy our parts in the US or Asia in economical low freight or free shipment quantities to avoid US$39 min. charges, for example.

Still, there may be a few who need this sort of help purchasing in their region.

Folks,

Getting very close now, Greg has been sonic testing most of the day. Here is an amended pcb graphic complete with overlay, and a new parts list with correct designations for the pcb (but not yet for the schematic, this will arrive later this week).

Cheers,

Hugh

Hugh,

I've been looking a sourcing parts - made a blog for what I've found. Mouser has the 2sk170 gr and zvp2110 but only in the TO-92 package, the sot is backordered until september. I was wondering if you could include holes for T2, so that users could use either the TO-92 or SOT packages. I'm hoping that we can find most of the parts at Mouser except for the Laterals... I would volunteer to make a spread sheet BOM for a Mouser order.

Thanks,

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.