Subjective Blind ABX Test of EnABLed FF85WK - Round 6

Which clips from driver A or B, sound most like the clips from driver X?

• Does A sound more like X?

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Does B sound more like X?

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don't the treated drivers also have some kind of coating on the cone?

Detail of what is involved in the treatment process for the FF85wKeN:
1/ inspection followed by a minimum of 200 Hrs at low level
2/ measure T/S to verify they are within spec
3/ a pre-coat of thin puzzlekoat
4/ EnABL spots
5/ EnABL conformal coating of thinned gloss acrylic, 2 coats on the cone, 1 on the dust cap
6/ 2 coats ZIG 2-way glue at the junction of cone & surround on the back of the cone
7/ ductseal between magnet & basket to shape/smooth the rear exit. Also damps basket resonances
8/ measure T/S to sort drivers into pairs

1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 are not part of EnABL but additional measures taken to improve behaviour of driver.

dave

I'll try it on Friday, more time available to hear it properly.....

X kindly in clip-2 used same ACDC track as from round one and if you pick that then think its not very hard and in five minutes you can make your vote :). Because of that myself did vote long ago but will now have to listen one more time after X also requested personal preference between the two.

As general sense this rounds sound clips is much closer to the reference tracks X supported us, maybe the less phase distortion 1st order XO offer compared higher orders is responsible some of that improvement and even 1st order XO have a acoustic vertical tilted lobe its no problem when recording mic is placed on design axis at close distance. So because of that will now make joke :) in like to hear winners from previous five rounds into this new passive setup, any other that also perceive recorded sound clips is closer to reference this time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I thought the same thing myself - I wondered what the 10F, TG9, TC9, B80, etc all sound like. The setup has been taken down though so would take a bit to get back together again. Some drivers would require adjustment of padding resistors to level match. I think 10F might be a simple drop in test as sensitivity is about same as FF85WK. Vzaichenko mentioned in the other thread that he thought it might be tough to tell the difference between reference and recorded. There is definitely some loss of high end with the FF85WK though as can be seen in the response graphs.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Detail of what is involved in the treatment process for the FF85wKeN:
1/ inspection followed by a minimum of 200 Hrs at low level
2/ measure T/S to verify they are within spec
3/ a pre-coat of thin puzzlekoat
4/ EnABL spots
5/ EnABL conformal coating of thinned gloss acrylic, 2 coats on the cone, 1 on the dust cap
6/ 2 coats ZIG 2-way glue at the junction of cone & surround on the back of the cone
7/ ductseal between magnet & basket to shape/smooth the rear exit. Also damps basket resonances
8/ measure T/S to sort drivers into pairs

1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 are not part of EnABL but additional measures taken to improve behaviour of driver.

dave

Excellent summary! Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.