• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stereo build- Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My firts tube amp project

This is my firts tube amp project. A Miakel Abdellah'S KT88 SE amp. Firts impression: better sound than my Yaqin MC-10L (a push pull 42W). The sound are very musical, more coherency than the MC-10L. My B+ is to high 450 volts, I have to raise it before a long listening session.

Thanks Miakel for the schematic and Francois for your help.

Riken for All resistors
Power transformer and output transformer James
Capacitor: Solen, Audio Note, Black Gate.

Attachments

• alseeedit_img_6682.jpg
    alseeedit_img_6682.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 806
Now that I have this project running, I had a few questions.

I like the sound of the EL34's, but I'm running close to the rated 25W plate dissipation. Can I lower this by increasing the value of the cathode resistor? I'm currently using the 470R called for in the original schematic. Maybe something over 500R?

Is it advisable to use a decoupling scheme in the B+ supply to the 6N1P driver? Just a resistor/electrolytic capacitor combo?

Has anyone tried running this amp with a KT66 in Triode mode? Seems like it should be able to handle it if the B+ was lowered a bit.

Thanks
Glenn

porkchop61 said:
...a few questions.

... Can I lower this by increasing the value of the cathode resistor? I'm currently using the 470R called for in the original schematic. Maybe something over 500R?

Is it advisable to use a decoupling scheme in the B+ supply to the 6N1P driver? Just a resistor/electrolytic capacitor combo?

Has anyone tried running this amp with a KT66 in Triode mode? Seems like it should be able to handle it if the B+ was lowered a bit.

Thanks
Glenn

Increasing the cathode resistor value would do it.

I had oscillation in mine when driven with a preamp that had some bass boost. Decoupling the driver stage solved it. I don't use that preamp as a source anymore but have left the decoupling in and I think it is probably a good idea, especially if you are running the output tubes close to their limit.

Haven't tried KT66s, or even EL34s in mine. I've been happy with the KT88s.

Thanks Sherman.
I'll pay around with the cathode value a little. I don't like running right at the max value for plate current.

I had some oscillation when overdriving the amp with a portable CD player. Backing down on the volume fixed that. I may still add a decoupling network for the preamp tube.
What did you wind up using for resistor/cap values for your amp?

Glenn

You could do that. But you'd have less gain. So if you have an active preamplifier with some gain. And / or very efficient speakers you could get away with it.

Gain of the 6SN7 is around 20 and that of the 6n1p is around 30. If you want to go with an octal tube a better tube would be something like the 6SL7 with a gain of 70.

Lot's of people will tell you that the 6SL7 can't drive a KT88 well enough. But a very well reviewed McIntosh amp uses 12AX7's. So you'd have to try it for yourself and see AFAIC.

Bas Horneman said:
...you'd have less gain. So if you have an active preamplifier with some gain. And / or very efficient speakers you could get away with it.

...Lot's of people will tell you that the 6SL7 can't drive a KT88 well enough. But a very well reviewed McIntosh amp uses 12AX7's. So you'd have to try it for yourself and see AFAIC.

I'm with Bas on this. I think as a grounded cathode voltage amp about the best one could hope for with a 6SN7 would be a voltage gain of around 14.

I breadboarded a SE KT88 amp using a 6SL7 into a 6SN7 as a cathode follower which drove the KT88. I used a B+ of 425V which is about what I have on my monoblocks built to Mikael's schematic. It worked fine and sounded fine but didn't sound better than using a 6N1P and it added unneeded complexity and required a beefier PS.

I didn't try driving the KT88 directly from the 6SL7. Probably should have given it a shot when I had the setup on the bench!

I spend a lot of effort trying to drive a KT88 with a 6SL7. I couldn't pass enough current through the 6SL7 to overcome the KT88 millar capacitance so changed to a 12AT7 (ECC81). I also tried a ECC35 which has an extra 50% plate dissipation over a 6SL7 but still reverted to the 12AT7.

With the 6SL7, the response was 2 dB down at 20KHz on the output transformer (a Hammond 1672SE transformer) with no feedback.

I think the 6SL7 or ECC35 sound better than the 12AT7. Maybe the millar effect would be more acceptable if the KT88 was connected in triode... :)

Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.