Speaker wire ......... Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
janneman said:

In extreme cases of cross-latticing however, it may help to run your cables over a well-damping carpet rather than on bare tiles or wood.

Jan Didden

Poor idea. Most carpets these days are made from polar dielectrics; what's worse is that because of the multifibrous nature of shag carpet, the dielectric constant is actually modulated by the varying pressure from the sound waves. You've just traded one problem for another.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:

Poor idea. Most carpets these days are made from polar dielectrics; what's worse is that because of the multifibrous nature of shag carpet, the dielectric constant is actually modulated by the varying pressure from the sound waves. You've just traded one problem for another.

Hmm. Yes, probably. Isn't it curious though, that always in Nature you can go from one to another solution, form or what, but you never get anything free.
So, now we have traded vibrational (mechanical) energy for varying electrical characteristics. I wonder what that would do for the EMC susceptibility of long speaker leads. The sub-molecular dipoles in whatever the carpet is made of (I'm not a carpet expert myself) are non-coherent, unless the carpet is exactly square, which it will not be to the level of accuracy we are talking here. That means they will damp the EMC like a normal electrical comb-filter would do: wideband. I mean, it cannot but increase the damping of low (ground) level EM interference fields.

Jan Didden

I think you guys also need to facrot in the resonance frequency of the carpet. having a 'panel' of carpet that big will have some low frequency resonances that will undoubtibly get into the cable. Thats probibly one of the main causes of lf distortion we hear all to often. Maby having your carpet divided up into several different sized, non symetrical portions would help with this. Whats true for box design must be true for the carpet you put your cables on, right?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Chris8sirhC said:
I think you guys also need to facrot in the resonance frequency of the carpet. having a 'panel' of carpet that big will have some low frequency resonances that will undoubtibly get into the cable. Thats probibly one of the main causes of lf distortion we hear all to often. Maby having your carpet divided up into several different sized, non symetrical portions would help with this. Whats true for box design must be true for the carpet you put your cables on, right?

I'm not sure, I noted that bass traps and other bass damping implements are often constructed from a frame covered with dense carpeting. So, either these things are a fraud or these carpet surfaces really damp lf waves. Since the lf signals are generally the most energetic within the spectrum, damping those would probably already go a long way to suppress the cross-lattice effects discussed above.

Jan Didden

I'm thinking that in a sealed woofer, the expansion and contraction of the wire caused by the pressurizing and depressurizing of the cabinet must play absolute havoc with the signal transmission. That's why I always use big wire. It ensures that none of the electrons gets squeezed on the way through. I also took the advise of an old A-phile who told me to elevate my amp to allow better electron flow down to the speakers. Works like a charm. I never have any trouble with plugged wires.

Cal

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
I'm thinking that in a sealed woofer, the expansion and contraction of the wire caused by the pressurizing and depressurizing of the cabinet must play absolute havoc with the signal transmission. That's why I always use big wire. It ensures that none of the electrons gets squeezed on the way through. I also took the advise of an old A-phile who told me to elevate my amp to allow better electron flow down to the speakers. Works like a charm. I never have any trouble with plugged wires.

Cal

Cal,

Are you pulling my leg?? The number of electrons going into the wire is exactly the same as that coming out. The number of electrons involved in the signal transmission is only a very, very small fraction of the total number of electrons in the material. For instance, you can easily push several kilo-amps through a normal cable without lack of electrons, if you can manage to cool the cable sufficiently to keep it from evaporating. So, your constriction and expansion (which occurs, I agree to that) will not give an audible effect.

It is more the vibrations that cause the micro-voids to occur in the crystal lattice that influence cable low-level granularity. This happens especially during large scale vibration like that caused in transporting the cable. This happens especially with Japanese cables sold in USA and Europe. How would YOU feel after a week in the holds of a rumbling, vibrating cargo ship??
It is that effect that causes the cable to change character after what is often called "burn in" but in fact is leaving the cable to come to rest so the micro-voids can be closed.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Cal,

Are you pulling my leg?? The number of electrons going into the wire is exactly the same as that coming out. The number of electrons involved in the signal transmission is only a very, very small fraction of the total number of electrons in the material. For instance, you can easily push several kilo-amps through a normal cable without lack of electrons, if you can manage to cool the cable sufficiently to keep it from evaporating. So, your constriction and expansion (which occurs, I agree to that) will not give an audible effect.

It is more the vibrations that cause the micro-voids to occur in the crystal lattice that influence cable low-level granularity. This happens especially during large scale vibration like that caused in transporting the cable. This happens especially with Japanese cables sold in USA and Europe. How would YOU feel after a week in the holds of a rumbling, vibrating cargo ship??
It is that effect that causes the cable to change character after what is often called "burn in" but in fact is leaving the cable to come to rest so the micro-voids can be closed.

Jan Didden

ROTFL!!!!! ahahha

Cal Weldon said:

Cal

janneman said:
Cal,

Are you pulling my leg??

We are now entering in the Twilight Zone.

:cool:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Chris8sirhC said:
All this talk of micro voids got me thinking. Someone should invent a method to create these micro voids when the cable is exposed and submersed in c37. That way, all of the micro voids would be filled with the warmth and goodness of c37! Then coat the copper wire with teflon etc.

Chris, have you checked the price of c37 lately? It's probably cheaper to hire a band to play live in your room once a week for the rest of your life (unless you are 12 years or less).

Jan Didden

Jan, apart from legs pulled, what you say with the micro-voids, sounds bad for me. If it is so perceivable with cables, what about that short piece of flexible braid which actually connects the voice coil to the speaker terminals? Even, what about the voice coil itself?
[another point for current drive..:bigeyes: ]

Ciao, George

Joseph K said:
Jan, apart from legs pulled, what you say with the micro-voids, sounds bad for me. If it is so perceivable with cables, what about that short piece of flexible braid which actually connects the voice coil to the speaker terminals? Even, what about the voice coil itself?

Ciao, George

this was stated by me 3 pages ago... and those wires are called leads...

Jan is joking BTW

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joseph K said:

Ciao, George

George,

I don't know about the braid, but I think because it is so short, it's impact is minor.

The voice coil is another story, of course, because it can be quite long. But observe: the vc is moving as a single package, the forces on the coil are, to a first approximation, homogeneous across its plane as well as perpendicular to it. There is no vibration of a certain part of it to another part of it, so there's no cross-latticing to speak off.

This is fundamentally different to the speaker cable, where each part is subjected to vibrational vectors different to its neighbouring part. I also suspect that the mechanical dimensions of the cable play a role here as well. ALL mechanical contraptions have a self-resonance frequency; the dimensions (and material of course) determine the mechanical resonance of the cable (freq and Q). This is one reason that heavily armoured cables with thick jackets are less prone to this. It may also be the cause that cables imported by air instead of by ship generally are known to have shorter burn-in requirements.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In another thread, many moons ago, I have already vehemently argued against those stones. The scientific case was, shall we say, found wanting. I was able to show that a pair of curves on the homesite were in fact identical curves but presented as two different situations, and the curve was subsequently withdrawn. Those stones, IF they work, can only have a very localised effect due to their size and the wavelength of the signal they are supposed to effect. (Now that I write this, I realise I run the risk to spurn the develoment of 3 feet long Shakti's. Ohh well).

So, no, I don't think shucking out for Shakti's makes anyone happier except the manufacturer.

Edit: I don't recognise the other objects (except the violin).

Jan Didden

AJinFLA said:
A scientific cure for such maladies...and oh so much more.

stoneonline.jpg

Hallograph_web72_Pix.jpg

I do believe he mint this as a joke.Looks like a nice violin though.

regards
jeff

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RogerWilco said:

I do believe he meant this as a joke. Looks like a nice violin though.

regards
jeff

I just thought I'd ask, you know. So many crackpots on this forum, sometimes it is difficult to see what's serious, what's not. For all I know, these wooden stands (?) are supposed to draw down the earth mag field. People make up the funniest things to make a buck.

Jan Didden

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
janneman said:
It may also be the cause that cables imported by air instead of by ship generally are known to have shorter burn-in requirements.

This is a very interesting theory Jan, and ties in well with some other research I have been doing.

My initial findings were that cables that were not as "raw", i.e. did not have so many stages of manufacture had percievable differences to those that were constructed more simply. To give examples, Van de Hul vs solid core twin and earth electrical wiring.

My working hypothesis, for which I could not find an easy explanation, was that the "raw" cables tend to be made in bulk nearest the supply, which is usually in the Southern hemisphere, then exported to the main consumers in the Northern hemisphere. Whereas, the "manufactured" cables tend to go from south to north and then undergo several more processes, so they are then shipped in finished form across the northern hemisphere.

Your transport and micro latice theory may have the answer, it is not just the vibration that affects the voids, but the prevailing lines of magnetic force from the Earth, During transportation. So "raw" cables are transported mostly along the Earth's magnetic field, and"manufactured" cables across the Earth's field, leading to differing micro alignments...

Status
Not open for further replies.