speaker cable myths and facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'll have to take your word for it. When I was working in Leningrad the coffee was even worse than the American swill.

I worked halve a year in Moskow. The only passable coffee was in Armenian restaurants and at the Hotel where we were quartered, Hotel Beijing, also known as the KGB Hotel (so you REALLY had to watch what you where saying).

East Germany was a bit different. In the 1970's people nearly revolted over bad coffee. As a result East Germany massively sponsored coffee growing in Vietnam. The general discontent over the coffee was so bad, it was only topped by the demonstrations in 1989 which led to the fall of the Government. You need to realise, East Germans spend twice as much on Coffee as they did on Shoes, girls included!

Ciao T

„Ohne Gaffee gönn mer nich gämpfn!“ ("Without Coffee we cannot fight" - the complaint of Saxon Army in the seven year war)

mach1 said:
I assume you have been exposed plenty of live music. I therefore assume you know that the trumpet played in an aggressive manner (especially in a very live acoustic) can display a pretty sharp edge which becomes rather hard on the ears after a while. Under these circumstances I would argue that a using a little bit of top cut or (other sweetening) on playback, while not accurate, enables the listener to enjoy the entire performance without incurring significant listening fatigue.
I have been exposed to plenty of live music, although most of it was some years ago when I was a regular concert-goer in London. BBC Proms in the summer, Royal Festival Hall in the winter.

There is nothing wrong with adding sugar. That is what tone controls are for. Curiously, proper tone controls are out of fashion at present because people seem to prefer inserting semi-permanent 'tone controls' via equipment selection or magic boxes. If their taste in music changes then they need to replace their entire system rather than merely adjust a knob.

Anyone know the story of chicken sexing? 10,000 hours and 5-6% of the candidates succeed!
It is the story of students at Assas University ?
I was thinking about harmonic distortions. Harmonics are part of any sound source. It is a law of physic. I believe that, when you change your position from a musical instrument, it will change the proportion of his harmonics. Harmonics produced by a bad amplifier, or bad cables (joke) do some thing similar: harmonics they produce are the sames. May-be that's the reason why this kind of distortion is not so destructive (at a reasonable level) than some want to make believe. Or can even add some kind of presence.
IM is the enemy. It produce sounds witch are not correlated with the sources, bringing confusion, lack of transparence, of separation, hiding the little signals of acoustic reverberation.
Prefer cables with low IM.
At the better levels of equipment cables may actually make a difference.
Nothing i can really hear, to be serious. or change with so little numeric equalization.
There is nothing wrong with adding sugar.
That's what i do, but my doctor disagree.

Hi,

Anyone know the story of chicken sexing?

I asked my friend William Jefferson about this. He states categorically:

"I did not have sexual relations with that Chicken. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false."

Ciao T

Last edited:
Hi,

I asked my friend William Jefferson about this. He states categorically:

"I did not have sexual relations with that Chicken. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false."

Ciao T

The Stasi might want to have a chat with you,

It turns out that male chicks eat feed but don't grow as fast as females. So it is more profitable to kill all the males at hatching and only raise females. The problem is that it is almost impossible to tell the difference at hatching.

In the 1920's the Zen-Nippon School started teaching how to sex chickens. Only about 5-6% of the candidates make it. It seems it really takes 10,000 hours of practice for learn this fine art. A skilled graduate can pick up a chick, squeeze it lightly and in a few seconds determine the sex. They can't actually explain what it is that they notice and there are thousands of variations, they just do it. The pay scale supposedly was 1 cent for every chicken sexed and a penalty of 25 cents for every mistake.

So in many ways this is similar to those who can pick out distortions etc, at a level most folks don't believe is possible.

Speaker cable is very system dependent. In my system i have settled on 2 24g solid strands (cryo treated, but i've not evaluated if that improves things). Certainly better matched than the typical stranded 14/16/18g twin lead.

A nice balance of performance, and frugal-phile-ism

On a dedicated woofer i'll use more strands.

dave

Hi Dave, Is it possible that just by changing the speaker cables you have a dramatical change (improve?)in higher frequencies?

I can´t make any measurements so this is only subjective appreciations.

I changed my usual speaker cable (brand x) for a suggested CAT 5 (solid colors together and dashed colors together).

Now highs are too bright (almost uncomfortable).

Is it possible or I am going crazy?

RGDS

PEMO

Joined 2002
Paid Member
With speaker cable changes, when dramatic differences in the tonal balance occur -especially when sound becomes harsh- I am thinking of amplifier instability.

Cat 5 is of relative high capacitance, thus may cause oscillations in your amplifier.

Check it out asap.

George

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is it possible that just by changing the speaker cables you have a dramatical change (improve?)in higher frequencies?

I can´t make any measurements so this is only subjective appreciations.

I changed my usual speaker cable (brand x) for a suggested CAT 5 (solid colors together and dashed colors together).

Now highs are too bright (almost uncomfortable).

Is it possible or I am going crazy?

It is certainly possible. Try fewer strands... and more strands.

Does your CAT5 have PVC or teflon insulation?

dave

It is certainly possible. Try fewer strands... and more strands.

Does your CAT5 have PVC or teflon insulation?

dave

I'll try different configurations.
BELDEN CAT 5 PVC.
By system dependable do you mean the combination of amplifier - speaker, brand, power, impedance, etc.?
Is it like "equalizing" for every system?
What about this Zobel issue (i'm very intrigued), and oscilations?

RGDS

PEMO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I
BELDEN CAT 5 PVC.
By system dependable do you mean the combination of amplifier - speaker, brand, power, impedance, etc.?

A Zobel in an amp is there toincrease its stability, to make it more immune to stresses applied by speaker wire/speakers (important in the commercial world where who knows what an amp will be asked to drive). A high capacitance is often what can upset them. But some think a zobel also robs sonics.

There may be some EQ happening but that is a 1-dimensional way of looking at the whole.

dave

.not sure why someone would not solder in a cord instead of using a detachable one.

Global market + UL/CSA/whatever listing/certification.

1) you need to test/certify only 1 single piece of equipment then you can sell it to different markets (with different mains power plugs) by including the appropriate cable in the box.

2) you get the opportunity to use a pre-certified RFI filtering IEC power inlet; helps with further certification.

I'll try different configurations.
BELDEN CAT 5 PVC.

RGDS

PEMO

When the cable characteristic impedance matches that of the load resistance, the amplifier sees a resistance. When the load resistance (or impedance) is much higher than that of the cable, the amplifier will see the cable's capacitance.

If this occurs below the amplifier's unity gain bandwidth, the amplifier may become marginally stable or break into oscillation.

Zobels in the amp can assist the amp, with tradeoffs. Zobels at the speaker can be used to load the cable at the higher frequencies where the speaker has completely unloaded.

Or, the amp can be slowed down internally by design.

This t-line effect is a consequence of both ends of the cable being grossly mismatched. Standard rf understandings of t-lines fails when the ends are treated so badly.

jn

cables do not have a sound of their own.
Amplifiers that are behaving and not clipping generally sound the same if their frequency response is the same.

Amplifiers that are misbehaving and/or clipping generally sound different.

If you change a cable and the result sounds different, it is not the cable you are hearing. It is the amplifier behaviour that is different. Sort the amplifier to make it behave with all resonable cables you intend to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.