speaker cable myths and facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought #14 was minimum for the residential code. 12-3 is perfect though not as stiff or expensive as the 10. I just priced some huge guage wire, it's through the roof.

Scott,

One of the issues on my plate is to get 16 gauge Romex and 5 amp circuit breakers into the NEC code for residential lighting use. With modern LED's and other higher efficiency methods a 5 amp circuit can produce as much light as would five older 15 amp circuits. The cost of copper is high enough that I think it will go through.

SY,

It turned out the three cables were electrically different! The older one made in Chicago had the lowest resistance and weighed noticeably more then the two imported cables although all claimed to be the same gauge!

So yellow turned out to be the best color!

ES

show me a real difference that I can hear and I'll gladly join the exotic cables camp.
You will live exotic moments in a world of mysteries, that's for sure. Do you know this book from Roberto Ecco: Foucault's Pendulum, "Il pendolo di Foucault" ?

Nb: I used some (few) times to go in various exotics shops owned by some of those magicians of expensive high end hifi equipments, see what i mean? You just have to sit down in the show room, prepare yourself to look impressed or at least serious (not so easy if your are here with a friend), and enjoy the show.

You will live exotic moments in a world of mysteries, that's for sure. Do you know this book from Roberto Ecco: Foucault's Pendulum, "Il pendolo di Foucault" ?

Nb: I used some (few) times to go in various exotics shops owned by some of those magicians of expensive high end hifi equipments, see what i mean? You just have to sit down in the show room, prepare yourself to look impressed or at least serious (not so easy if your are here with a friend), and enjoy the show.

This discussion reminds me more of Umberto Ecco's "baudolino" where they discuss the shape of the Earth. It plays in the dark middle ages, 1200 AD or so, and flat is still an option.

Scott,

One of the issues on my plate is to get 16 gauge Romex and 5 amp circuit breakers into the NEC code for residential lighting use. With modern LED's and other higher efficiency methods a 5 amp circuit can produce as much light as would five older 15 amp circuits. The cost of copper is high enough that I think it will go through.

ES

Tough sell getting anything into the work box that won't do 1500W. There would have to be provisions for no one in the future connecting an outlet to this circuit in the wall.

That said my "electrician" closed up my new kitchen with #10 on the 50 AMP stove circuit saying that as long as the breaker was 50 amps it was OK. Talk about no clue as to the purpose of the codes.

Hi,

This discussion reminds me more of Umberto Ecco's "baudolino" where they discuss the shape of the Earth.

I would say by far more Galileo's Dialogue's...

It plays in the dark middle ages, 1200 AD or so, and flat is still an option.

Flat most certainly was not a viable option among educated people in the 12th century of the common era in Europe. It was in fact deprecated as workable model for well over a millennium by then.

It was conceivably entertained only among those both uneducated and simple in mind, who religiously adhered to the simplistic dogma derived from certain books and authorities, in clear contradiction of the actual empirically observable facts of the matter.

This is normally the case, the simplistic dogma backed by (very fragile) authority is the refuge of the Simplicio's of any age, to the rejection of any evidence advanced, over the considerably more complex but more realistic observations presented by those who perchance are not of quite so simple and impressionable minds...

Ciao T

Tough sell getting anything into the work box that won't do 1500W. There would have to be provisions for no one in the future connecting an outlet to this circuit in the wall.

That said my "electrician" closed up my new kitchen with #10 on the 50 AMP stove circuit saying that as long as the breaker was 50 amps it was OK. Talk about no clue as to the purpose of the codes.

I paid $50 for 25 feet of 10 gauge 3 conductor with a ground to hook up my clothes dryer. So with the price of copper what it is that may be a reasonable balance between his costs and your insurance money paying for the rebuild after the fire!

I have written discharge of duty letters when I see stuff like this after having a chat with the offender. I suspect your stove may actually work on the legal 30 amps, worth a check. (Of course it should be a 30 amp breaker!)

I prefer to wire one gauge heavier than code requires. It is surprising how much it saves on the electric bill.

I and others did get folks to start wiring large buildings HVAC systems one gauge heavier. In an arena size building payback can be as long as 60 days!

I prefer to wire one gauge heavier than code requires. It is surprising how much it saves on the electric bill.

I and others did get folks to start wiring large buildings HVAC systems one gauge heavier. In an arena size building payback can be as long as 60 days!

No the manual clearly stated #6 or #8 required depending on run length.

Don't they come by 2's until you get down to #1 or so? :D I saw some 250K circular mils stuff the other day.

No the manual clearly stated #6 or #8 required depending on run length.

Don't they come by 2's until you get down to #1 or so? :D I saw some 250K circular mils stuff the other day.

Yes that is the code for 50 amps draw. Yes stocked gauges go by 2's although there are standards for all the sizes! Then by 0's to 0000.

10 Gauge open air is good for a bit more than 50 amps, but not in residential use.

Although your load might only draw 30 amps the voltage drop may require thicker cable. 5% from the panel to the load is the suggested maximum. You can do the math on the power loss and how one gauge up reduces the loss.

Last edited:
scott, you need to give that electrician a smack. I'd use #6.

my little summation:
guage guage guage Use the right one for the length.
if you have an AM radio tower in your yard... move.
if you live next to a church that broadcasts AM on sunday morning use twisted pairs.
if you have too much money buy expensive.

about sum it up...

later y'all
rev.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
#6? Will that even fit in the breakers? Not in my case. At Home Depot that sold me #6 for my clothes drier. I ran it all the way to the breaker panel to find it would not fit in the breakers. I think the previous run had been #10 or maybe #8.

#6? Will that even fit in the breakers? Not in my case. At Home Depot that sold me #6 for my clothes drier. I ran it all the way to the breaker panel to find it would not fit in the breakers. I think the previous run had been #10 or maybe #8.

My dryer has a 30 amp plug,

10 Gauge is good for 30 amps at 1 ohm per 1000' and a 5% voltage loss that would limit you to 200' at 240 volts. (out and back).

8 gauge would get you to about 320'.

6 Gauge means you live in a small castle.

If the breaker is 30 amps you can use a fitting to reduce the cable size to get it to match the breaker. You will save money on electricity and you clothes will dry faster.

The Home Depot guy isn't on commission just uninformed.

Last edited:

you needed a larger breaker, 40amp or 50amp will have a larger lug that will fit a #6. a 30amp breaker has a lug for #8

edit: sorry i thought scott needed 50amp service, i don't know stove / kiln hybrid. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.