Sound of various Pass amps

thanks for the input Adason and 6L6!

I Already have a ~2 Watt SET Amp, the Decware SE84UFO, so the ACA is too similar of a vein to be worthwhile long-term IMHO. I was planning on the SS amp having more power :]

I already have a F5 kit sitting here, but the comments on the unforgiving nature has me scared. I'm not sure if im over-reacting though, because I'm planning to use the amp I end up building with a smooth-sounding polyimide compression driver.

Heres the speaker (kit) I plan on using: Denovo Audio HTM-12

Measurements of an older prototype. The newer kit should be similar and probably better.

I think I'll go with an Aleph J as a first build, and then ill venture to the Burning Amp 3 front end with the Burning Amp 2 Complimentary Output.

Honestly The BA3/BA2 sounds like the "ideal" amp. This is your favorite combo, right 6L6? I'm scared to do it as a first build though.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Which of the available kit amps do you think gets closest to a euphonic/ SET type sound?

From the descriptions I've read, it seems to be the F6 vs the Aleph J. Can anyone provide a comparison?

I don't have a SET for comparison but many reviewers online seem to agree that the SIT series sound the most SET-like. Probably not the ideal build for a first or even second build but you can build something like the F5 first and then reuse the PSU for a SissySIT to get something that 'sounds like tubes but with great bass control'.

Maybe some of the folks who have modified an M2 with Schade feedback can comment on whether or not it goes down the path of euphonic sound.

I Already have a ~2 Watt SET Amp, the Decware SE84UFO, so the ACA is too similar of a vein to be worthwhile long-term IMHO. I was planning on the SS amp having more power :]

I already have a F5 kit sitting here, but the comments on the unforgiving nature has me scared. I'm not sure if im over-reacting though, because I'm planning to use the amp I end up building with a smooth-sounding polyimide compression driver.

Measurements of an older prototype. The newer kit should be similar and probably better.

I think I'll go with an Aleph J as a first build, and then ill venture to the Burning Amp 3 front end with the Burning Amp 2 Complimentary Output.

Honestly The BA3/BA2 sounds like the "ideal" amp. This is your favorite combo, right 6L6? I'm scared to do it as a first build though.

With horns I would shy away from F6 and F5. Many like them with horns but not my favorites but then I have built most of the diy Firstwatt designs and able to choose. You need to decide if you prefer the single ended or push pull sound. I prefer the SE sound myself and the Decware is SE. I also have one I built as well. The ACA sounds really good but for better sound in the same vein go for the BA-1 with the BA-3 front end. The BA-1 is SE and one of my favorites. I have the single board version but have plans on one day building the full version. Another option is an F4 which is considered very neutral sounding with the flavor being which front end you use. Add a BA-3 front end and you will have built the BA-2 which would be a great choice. You could use the Decware tube as a front end with the F4 for more power and still have the same sound. The F4 would be a great first build and is simple to build compared to the others. All Firstwatt designs being class A are great with different flavors in sound.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys!

I had all the same thoughts Wdecho. Upon further research and contemplation I'm 100% sold on the Aleph J. :)

I'm curious on your impressions if you've built one. 6L6 wasn't joking, there are no bad reviews of this amp. I particularly think the Aleph Current Source is interesting.

I just gotta wait for those PCB's to come back in stock...

I'm thinking that I'll probably be 100% satisfied with the Aleph J, but if I get a DIY itch down the road I can try out the BA3/BA2 combo for the "best of hits" on the other end of Nelson's Class-A topologies.

The Aleph J is one that I have not built. The reason being my first FW build was an Aleph 30. I did not think it would that big a difference in the sound. The main difference between the 2 are j-fets in the front end instead of mosfets which should make it somewhat cleaner, less distortion. I really liked the Aleph 30, worthwhile build.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

newbie here
May I ask between the Aleph J, the BA3 or the Sony VFET, which one is the most realistic to drive a classic 3 Way at domestic* spl level, please ... but still manage some instant dynamics starvings ?

*: loudspeakers with impedance curve as low as 3 ohms to 8 ohms with low sensivity like 85 db to 88 db /2.83V ?

If not feasible, what the minimum loudspeaker sensivity advised please ?

Is there one not needing a scope for the setuping ?

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Technically BA3 is a front end. BA1 is a SE output stage and BA2 is a PP output stage
(and very similar to the F4).

You can build an 'BA3' amp using either output stages, but the push-pull one seems
more popular and likely better for low-ish impedance/less sensitive speakers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member

The BA3 with a BA2 complementary output stage is a BA3 amp. They both use same Output stage. For that matter, so does the F4. The BA2/BA3 distinction is only with the front end. And while we are speaking of complimentary output stages, same with single ended. BA1, BA2 SE, and BA3 SE use same SE output stage as well. And of course BA1 and BA2 use the same FE board. I've got one around here somewhere I started, and then went with BA3.

Have fun,

Russellc

That said, BA3 ( and I am sure BA2) complementary amp is a wonderful unit I must say. I havent tried single ended versions.