Sound of various Pass amps

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Just for ZM:

[/QUOTE]

Jeff, I guess you like those, here's some for you...

(When I look at them, I try to imagine what it must have been, noise-/soundwise)

Attachments

• 1912-016-lrt03045v-d-diapo.jpg
    1912-016-lrt03045v-d-diapo.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 962
  • 16637c7aa9879c231fe74deb195edd2b.jpg
    16637c7aa9879c231fe74deb195edd2b.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 817
  • Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 824
  • frauenrennsportjpg-2.jpg
    frauenrennsportjpg-2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 825
Ive heard or built most of these and Nelson’s descriptions seem similar to my observations. Also worth note, I could easily and happily live with any of them as my only amplifier.

Somebody asked about the Burning Amp series and I’d describe the BA-3 as the perfect combination of F5 and F4 (because that is almost exactly what it is...) essentially everything good about both with no downside.

When asked point blank for a suggestion on what to build first, I suggest Aleph J, and I still stand by that, I love it, it’s a great amp, and nobody who’s built one that I know of has disliked it - it’s an exceedingly pretty amp and if you’ve never heard real class-A, you will be completely flabbergasted.

For what it’s worth, (and to further confuse those not sure what to build) I’ve had M2x in my system since it’s been built, and if you forced me to choose just one, BA-3.

All that said, when comparing these amplifiers you must envision yourself standing in a garage entirely full of Ferraris, and asking the question, “which of these is the most Italian sports car?” :D

Awesome, thank you sir! That is also very helpful. Along with the F4 discussion, and of course Papa's input, this has become a very useful thread for someone new to the Pass DIY amps. I think it would make a great addition to the Pass Labs Stickies, or at least the "Favorite Threads and Posts in 'Pass Labs'"thread.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
???

No love for the F2/F2J?

I just finished my pair of F2J mono blocks and am absolutely smitten with them. They are a match made in heaven for my DIY Oris 200/Lowther DX3 front horns.

We are still honeymooning, but each day I am enchanted further by this combination.

There is such a low noise floor it is spooky how music materializes.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
It’s funny you should say that.

My long time affair with Front horns and different fullrangers is still running strong. However, lately I have developed a new obsession to try put together a Sato type horn based on a pair of Dukane 5A540 or multi-entry horn based on some Radian neo760pb and B&C 8pe21.

I kind of love the idea of keeping a single point source as much as possible.

Thank you for the feedback and this wonderful amp design!