Sonido fullrange driver thoughts?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I cannot but react and must abject to this misconception. On the contrary, I always help when people who develop their new options turn to me for help. And even more, it also happens that for their version I make speakers with individual parameters.

I can just confirm that

Anyhow, more than my confirmation is worth what can be seen of Sonido Gallery page - substantial amount of shown are custom solutions:

https://sonido.hu/galeria.php?lang=en

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Excellent, that's very good to know. :)
Unfortunately, it wasn't the impression I got a few years ago when I designed something for the drivers, and the reaction seemed to be 'people should look at xyz instead' which I found a bit disappointing, and was the reason I scrapped the designs I had planned. Presumably something got lost in translation each way (which certainly happens from time to time). Since you're OK with it, I'll take another look and see what I can come up with / recreate.

Of course, please contact me, I will be happy to help. And just recently, for example, this expo horn. By my calculations a client from Canada built one for himself. And there are many similar clients, but I can't show everything in the gallery.

Attachments

• Kapas Sonido SFR175A expo horn.jpg
    Kapas Sonido SFR175A expo horn.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: 2 users
@SONIDO I agree with Scott, not enough info on the drivers is availeble for me to consider them for a build. The ones i heared sounded very good for this type of driver (hence my support) but we need full T/S specs and at least frequency AND Impendance graphs to check if it fits for what we want. I know more esotheric driver builders often don't supply that as most of their customers in the higher segment hire someone to do the work, but for full diy people, who design their own speaker cabinets like many here this is needed before we even consider them for our projects. I at least make a whole prestudy on those specs to see what i can do with it. The final build is often done on my own measurements when i bought them, but i buy drivers based on those prestudy, not on some marketing talk or someone recommending me with a subjective review.

But you're by far not the worst offender in that, you supply some usefull info, just not enough.

Just to clarify -I wasn't really talking about data (at least, I didn't mean to), although the T/S and FR plots provided seem as good or better than what many other wideband driver manufacturers publish. Purely as an observation, I agree that impedance plots would be valuable -a note about the measurement conditions would also be useful. Distortion data is nice, but very few driver manufacturers provide that, and I appreciate that time is often the issue.

Last edited:
Here is some T/S parameters for us to 'play with'...plug them into sims & let's see what it can do...A ten-inch full-range $523.00 dollar driver.
Some graphs I saw had the response from 125 Hz. crashing a full Twelve Db by the time it got to only 50 Hz.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Attachments

• Sonido-SWR-250A-TS.png
    Sonido-SWR-250A-TS.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: 1 user
Here is some T/S parameters for us to 'play with'...plug them into sims & let's see what it can do...A ten-inch full-range $523.00 dollar driver.
Some graphs I saw had the response from 125 Hz. crashing a full Twelve Db by the time it got to only 50 Hz.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...
This price for you was fr a pair of speakers, including shipping. Actual price of one pair speakers SWR 250/A - $500.00 dollar/PAIR

Reactions: 3 users

Well, I've absolutely no doubt you can run your own analysis but using that spec. and assuming the usual 0.5ohm series R for wire-loop, connection resistance, then as far as regular vented enclosures go:

Standard maximally flat vented after Small: Vb = 116.75 litres [nearly], Fb = 38.4Hz [nearly]
4th order flat vented after Keele: Vb = 111.6 litres [nearly], Fb = 38.3Hz [nearly]

...and assuming I was designing an enclosure for a reasonably wide number of people who aren't familiar with adjusting the tuning of vented enclosures to suit their particular room acoustic (and aren't interested in learning), then I would be inclined toward 100 litres with an Fb = Fs for a mildly damped 'practical' alignment that should work reasonably in a variety of situations. Obviously, the need for EQ or lack thereof will depend on the design details & its room position, so can't comment on that without working up a full design, as generic values / assumptions aren't generally of much use.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
And I will add more, this is T/S parameters a ten-inch Field Coil driver.
😁😁😁…yummy

I make speakers with individual parameters.

I always wanted big back loaded horns…and recently couldn’t resist these (last pic)…I’ve got a variety of the Fostex Scott designed these cabinets for…is it possible we could build a custom pair of 8” field coils that would work in them Istvan?

Attachments

• 65B6C2D2-8A12-4904-9B30-D7E0F1EBFC10.jpeg
    65B6C2D2-8A12-4904-9B30-D7E0F1EBFC10.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 121
  • 5C0CEBC6-88A3-4808-93E8-AE7F6EBE7E2D.jpeg
    5C0CEBC6-88A3-4808-93E8-AE7F6EBE7E2D.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 56DD6EF8-EBFC-48CB-BEA6-5C9AE9D84A81.jpeg
    56DD6EF8-EBFC-48CB-BEA6-5C9AE9D84A81.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 120