Sonic Impact 5066 Parts List & Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Charlize SMPS

Sorry may be this is slightly off topic

I am using a cheapo SMPS unit with my Charlize amp modded with 2.2uf Obbligato foil in copper caps. I heard that Charlize really perform much better if paired with high quality SMPS. Anyone found any good supply for t2020 chip amp? Apart from the Decibel Dungeon's one that requires some mod on the output.

Or, has anyone developed a SMPS specially for Charlize or similar Class-T amp?

Re: Charlize SMPS

Diatone said:
Anyone found any good supply for t2020 chip amp? Apart from the Decibel Dungeon's one that requires some mod on the output.

Or, has anyone developed a SMPS specially for Charlize or similar Class-T amp?

:confused: The Charlize has the same 12-13.5V single-rail requirements as the T-amp, so one of Nuke's psus should suit without mods, or any of the SMPS power blocks linked above. If by 'mod' you mean a big OTT booster cap on the 12V rail, I don't think any commercial supply will have that as standard plus it's at the amp end of the supply wires. :whazzat:

Powersupply

Thanks for answers.
I´m planning to rehouse the amp in a woodbox so space is limitted. I´ll think i go for the 13,8vdc.
Is there a recipie for building a charger for batteries(12v)? It looks like a nice concept with battery power/charger in the same box as the amp.
Thanks for tons of useful info on this forum!
Kane

NUUK's smps

If I remember correctly, NUUK's smps need to be added on a resistor somewhere in order for it to work on T-amp. I forgot the exact details. And I don't konw why it requires such extra resistor as I am not an electronic intellect. I do hope someone here can throw some lights onto this.

Re: NUUK's smps

Diatone said:
If I remember correctly, NUUK's smps need to be added on a resistor somewhere in order for it to work on T-amp. I forgot the exact details. And I don't konw why it requires such extra resistor as I am not an electronic intellect. I do hope someone here can throw some lights onto this.

Forgot that :eek: , some SMPS supplies need a minimum load to give accurate regulation, and a T-amp is by definition a very light load in quiet bits. For example, an ATX computer supply needs 5W on the 5V line.

edit: I see Nuuk just uses a 10K uF capacitor across the SMPS output?

Maybe a 10mF or a 10,000uF one would do. :clown:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: C10 cap

a_men said:
Is C10 cap necessary when my power supply is battery?

Well.... If your amp is running without it, it isn't "necessary." But the amps do sound better with a large, good qaulity amp in that spot. The better T-Amps use 2 or more caps in this spot. The BWRX Ref-T has 4.

What do you like better about the sound without the cap?

Re: Re: C10 cap

panomaniac said:

What do you like better about the sound without the cap?

In my opinion sound is more neutral, open and airy. It's almost like live. There is freedom and emotion in music.
When i use Panasonic FM 680uF/16V cap i found it more technical, emotions are gone, sound is dull and suppressed. Midrange is "glassy".

Forgive me my poor english, I'm not native speaker;)

a_men said:

There's no C10, but with C10 (stock and Panasonic FM) I've had the same problem. Do you think that "dirty" power comes from Yuasa battery?
When I turn on my CD player the buzz is stronger, but CD has AC power supply.

Sounds like a grounding issue, I ended up linking my ground wires to earth to kill the humm when the CD was linked up.
Although I use a modified PS1 that isn't earthed and 'floating' (is that the right terminology?). When I connect my old CD the humm goes away.

Attachments

• claritycap2.jpg
    claritycap2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 615
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.