Slot ported version of The Tango

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The rule-of-thumb is to add the distance the flare to the new, larger, vent area [Av] is, so yes assuming you mean the chamfer is a 45 deg. bevel or a 5 mm radius round over.

GM

Hmm okay! And what do I do about the port now? Do I make it shorter by any amount? Or should it not make a big difference? Or if at all, will it be a negative effect? I won't ever be driving them at full power. I set my peak limitter at 5 watts under the RMS and usage for bass is occasional.

Last edited:
Did you run a XO SIM? You have the 4-ohm version of the RS180 above., but Jeff's original was using the 8-ohm version. Just wondering
The RS180-4 on more than one site is a 4ohm woofer :p

Check out diysoundgroup and Parts express their site. :)

****, nevermind! I did order the wrong one. I'll have to call the seller to change the woofer to the right one. It's 2 bucks extra.

Last edited:
Hmm okay! And what do I do about the port now? Do I make it shorter by any amount? Or should it not make a big difference? Or if at all, will it be a negative effect? I won't ever be driving them at full power. I set my peak limitter at 5 watts under the RMS and usage for bass is occasional.

??? You're making no sense to me as I confirmed you had the correct answer.

All I know for sure about what you're building is that if you build it like this instead of using a 2" dia. x 7.75" tube, then it will be tuned far enough lower to audibly affect [mid] bass response and if you chamfer it, tuning will be raised a probably inaudible amount and based on stated power usage, chamfering it will be strictly cosmetic.

GM

Hi,

Assuming that the figures are correct, the end correction changes from 0.732*r (round port) to 2.227*r (slot port at the bottom). This means, the effective port length is increased by 1.5" due to the nearby cabinet walls. Hence a 6.25" slot port will be required to get the same tuning frequency as a 7.75" round port.

I have a diagram.

attachment.php

Cheers,
Anna

Attachments

• dayton-2-way-XO.gif
    dayton-2-way-XO.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 75
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.