Slot ported version of The Tango

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If chromebooks had more storage, I'd be all the way for it. Hack it and put linux on it. Most chromebooks are also alot more sexy than normal laptops. If I couldn I'd get a Razer Blade, perhaps Stealth version. Because.... Sexy.

Oh and, the pop came first, which made you miserable.

Yea, heard of people doing that. Android apps are supposed to be available on it soon which will make it a lot better. I like the simplicity and speed though, I've used laptops and found them frustrating and slow. This thing Toshiba, is light, nothing to it really and great full HD screen

I can't afford to have a cloud based system. For one because we have limited data bandwidth on our internet and streaming FLAC would just suck over it.. and I have confidential data I like to keep at home. I like to stream music over the home network to my playing machine which has a custom linux version specificallly for the audiophawl.

Some simple drawings I made. Note that these are WITHOUT the front baffle attached. I extended the length of the totall piece by .42" including the bracing etc.

Pardon me for the watermarks on the Keyshot rendering, and the grainy look. I didn't want to wait two hours to finish the rendering haha and the licence file went missing after windows was reinstalled AGESSSSs ago. I didn't really use Keyshot until now. I did include a solid edge render though.

Attachments

• drawing.PNG
    drawing.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 113
  • fuckinakeyshot.PNG
    fuckinakeyshot.PNG
    385.3 KB · Views: 106
  • solidrender.PNG
    solidrender.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Jim gave me insight on it. I learned from Zeos (Z Reviews) that we should put 'm about 3 feet from a wall.. But this design isn't that powerful and isn't ever gonna see much bass either. Shouldn't be a problem either because I plan to insulate the walls behind my work area with accoustic panels anyway.

I'm waiting for Jim's reply. If he thinks it's fine, I'll go over to metric-a-lizing it, putting in a rabbet in the sides, and making the top and bottom wider according to the rabbets. Eases the assembly and makes it more leak proof and it looks nicer. It also makes it easier to hide the endgrain of the mdf. Since I'll be chambering the sides, I'll need the extra surface area to glue on.

Probably wise to keep to the original as Jim said, ie port in the back, probably a reason for it, you mentioned phasing, there certainly could be some cancellation with it in the front. Do you need metric figures to have the pieces cut to size? Sounds like it's going to look good. How are you going to finish it?

Would recessing the woofer make a difference compared to not? It's 3 or 4 mm deeper in when recessed. If I do have to recess it, I'll have to go for a solid wood front baffle because that'd make for a very very thin ledge to put the tnuts in. No more nightmares like that again.

Very slight difference to the volume, they're usually recessed to minimise diffraction as the edge though, but when you consider how close it is to the edge of the baffle it's not gunna make any difference to my mind. I prefer E-nuts to T-nuts E-Nuts

Or D-nuts, which have a flange, screw into the rear of the baffle

Last edited:
Dunno, depends what you mean by construction glue. I used epoxy because it's very strong and pretty much glues anything to anything. The t-nuts hammer home as you know and the outside is smooth, so I doubt any glue would stick well, it's the teeth digging in that stop it twisting, I wouldn't worry about it.

But the problem is that when you want to screw it in, the shaft of the screw pushed against the ridge of the insert, and pushes it back out. I have epoxy but construction glue sticks to anything, even skin. Don't ask me why I have that scar right under my wrist.. Construction glue ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.