Slot ported version of The Tango

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at your drawings, I think there are fine.

As to rebating the woofer: I wouldn't bother unless you prefer it for aesthetic reasons. The difference in diffraction between rebated and not rebated will be rather small.

One other point to consider, if you haven't already: I suggest grills to protect the drivers. Yes, grills do affect the sound a bit, but much less than a damaged driver would; children like to poke things, as do some adults.

Cheers, Jim

Are you going to put the speakers on shelves or stands? They need some room to breath if the port is on the back, and room behind could be very limited on a shelf. And, IMO, putting a speaker on a shelf can compromise the sound quality. (usually, but not always; depends on the room & how each item in room is arranged; sort of Feng shui, but less spiritual)

The sound will be a bit different depending on whether the port is front or back, but I think it will be a matter of preference more than 'correctness'. Sound stage and imaging may be better on stands further from the back wall. Bass response will increase as the speakers are moved closer to the back wall. In some cases, getting too close to the back wall can produce boomy bass...again, depends on the specific speakers and room.

Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Cheers, Jim

I have 8 feet behind my speakers right now. They're on stands about five feet apart. If you think I will ever put bookshelf speakers on bookshelves, you're crazy.

I won't need grills though. No kids come in here, and I've had uncovered speakers for years and never thought about damaging them.

Woohoo!

I triple checked the crossover components and looked after the other things as well, so now I made the order. They're expected to arrive the thirtieth of May. One of the Jantzen Audio coils is a backorder product that arrives May 29th.

Next, would anyone be able to help me make the crossover board? I'm making it on a piece of plywood cut in half, hollowed out in the bottom, so that I can hide the solder connections. I don't know the layout though. I can try and mail parts express but that's about it.

Cheers,
Anna

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-09-07-25-46.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-09-07-25-46.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Yes, email Parts Express about the layout, I noticed Jeff Bagsby was/is on their forum so you may be able to speak/email him directly. Yes, just checked, he's there and active, you'll have to register if you want to send him a private message. Someone who knows may pipe up here of course but it wouldn't hurt to get it from the horse's mouth, hehe!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.