Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

OS,
Why do you do R11 and R12, why isn't this one value as they are in series? What does that do by having two resistors in series that one value wouldn't do? Still learning the basics here!

Also, it limits the range ... if you had the trimmer set to a real low value,
you might damage your input stage or even the VAS.
390R + a 200R trimmer gives .9ma - 1.5ma LTP current.
With different VAS components - input or second stage devices ... it is
a really helpful to be able to trim the operating currents without changing
passives (fixed resistors).

Also , for "tweakers" .... being able to change current might optimize
the performance.

OS

Just had the idea that some of my ancient Allison stuff may be useful in a CFA frontend.

If you stack P and N transistors in a diamond, you can cancel offset with the expense of extra junctions. Accepting some local feedback allows you to get the best of both worlds. The offset control is to null the base current mismatch at the input.

Since it uses local feedback, it needs to be stabilized as a buffer every time you change the operating point.

It should have equal or better noise than a simple diamond, ultra low distortion and indefinitely low output impedance, all things that are ideal for a CFA input stage. Should have low offset regardless of temperature, although output bias will decrease with temperature unlike the Diamond.

I'm going to try this. If you say this has a negative co-efficient ... pair
it with 2Q ccs's.
(that's how I will approach it.)
OS

Coming soon.
It's a LISTENING test!
Not measurements only!
I must explain this.
With a slide switch, select the 1st or second amplifier ,a pair of relay contacts transduces the loudspeaker from 1st to 2nd amplifier and vice versa.
An analog voltmeter(fast enough ) ensures same outputs levels.
A pair of ears or some pairs, listening some known music again and again ....
That's all.

Last edited:
Thimios,
I was just giving you are hard time. There are many who will discount any listening test that runs through a switch or even the relays, they always have a reason to discount the simplest listening test no matter how obvious a preference may be. I am looking forward to your test and how you think the two different input sections sound.

Because transient heating will give less current gain and thus compress the initial signal, opposite of a CFA that is expansive in nature. It's just a gut feel, I maybe 100% wrong! as it not thermals that set the gain! but the feedback network that does that.

Thermal gain (which is a tiny portion of actual gain) of a BJT is directly proportional to Vce. The standard diamond has high Vce at the outputs whereas in my circuit the first 4 transistors control the output, and they see no more than 1.2V Vce. so I'd say if anything my circuit will have less thermal error than an ordinary Diamond.

Thermal gain (which is a tiny portion of actual gain) of a BJT is directly proportional to Vce. The standard diamond has high Vce at the outputs whereas in my circuit the first 4 transistors control the output, and they see no more than 1.2V Vce. so I'd say if anything my circuit will have less thermal error than an ordinary Diamond.

I love the looks of that circuit. Will it handle high voltage rails? Can't wait to get my Slewmonster boards so I can start trying some of these circuits. :D

I'm just curious. Hoping for around +-75V rails. If not +-50V rails. Want to plug it into a Slewmonster board and see how it works. I have a good supply of KSA99/KSC18455 devices but I don't know if they will work for this circuit. Trying to learn and building different circuits is all part of that.

Blessings, Terry

Last edited:
I love the looks of that circuit. Will it handle high voltage rails? Can't wait to get my Slewmonster boards so I can start trying some of these circuits. :D

All the CFA's (and most of my VFA's) , run on the same +/- 12V
that the servo does. The VFA's are cascoded to full rail and the CFA's
use level shifters.

The advantage to this - is being "rail independant" . Thimios had to
change the zener regulator dropping resistor for low rail voltage .. that's
it. Any rail will do ..from 35V (actually <20) to 85+. The CCS's,IP pair, and
all else that matters to keep a stable VAS current are regulated at 12V.

OS